The Student Room Group

help to find me a cheap car (max £300)

any other avenues besides autotrader ?

max 40 miles from London

I really want a "summer project"

therefore a cheap small car like a Renault Clio

taxed and mot'Ed ideally

was going to strip out the interior , remove back seats and add in some racing seats

help appreciated

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't think you can find a car for as low as £300. I don't even think you can find a bmx bike that costs as little as £300.
Reply 2
Really pushing it with that budget.
Try gumtree
Reply 3
Original post by Stinkum
I don't think you can find a car for as low as £300. I don't even think you can find a bmx bike that costs as little as £300.

maybe 500 max if its a good example
Reply 5
Racing seats in a clio? What exactly are you trying to prove with those?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Jebedee
Racing seats in a clio? What exactly are you trying to prove with those?

Posted from TSR Mobile

just want to replace the old seats

i like racing seats, even in a non v6 clio
Reply 7
that's the ticket
Reply 8
Original post by jusdorange
just want to replace the old seats

i like racing seats, even in a non v6 clio

Please don't, if you're going to buy nice seats at least spend a bit more for a decent car. You'll look like a chav driving that thing with racing seats.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Jebedee
Please don't, if you're going to buy nice seats at least spend a bit more for a decent car. You'll look like a chav driving that thing with racing seats.

Posted from TSR Mobile

it would defeat my cheap car challenge if I upped my budget for the base car

ideally the lower the better
Original post by Stinkum

Course you can.

I've bought a pretty much mint 1998 Honda Civic 1.5 Vtec Manual 5dr Hatchback for £250. Was about a year ago, but it had around 85k on the clock. MOT was running out in two weeks. And the brake discs were grinding. What I did was slap in new pads and MOT it, and sold it for a tidy £200 profit. Cost me £300 all in (MOT & front brake pads), and sold it for £500.
Reply 11
any other avenues besides autotrader ?

max 40 miles from London

I really want a "summer project"

therefore a cheap small car like a Renault Clio

taxed and mot'Ed ideally

was going to strip out the interior , remove back seats and add in some racing seats

help appreciated

Lancia Dedra if you can find one :wink: :smile: there was one with 67,000 miles going for 675 pounds ones with more millage if there are any for sale will be in your budget.
Reply 12
Original post by hsv
Lancia Dedra if you can find one :wink: :smile: there was one with 67,000 miles going for 675 pounds ones with more millage if there are any for sale will be in your budget.

Nope only the delta for silly money
Reply 13
I've found a few cars for £100

But they are all up north
Reply 14
Trouble is most things will weigh in for around £200 so you're pushing it a bit.
Anything with a legitimate MOT test has got to be worth £500.

Best bet is your local free ads, gumtree, ebay.

Autotrader is a waste of time at that money. no ones going to spend £40 advertising a £300 car!
Reply 15
Original post by JC.
Trouble is most things will weigh in for around £200 so you're pushing it a bit.
Anything with a legitimate MOT test has got to be worth £500.

Best bet is your local free ads, gumtree, ebay.

Autotrader is a waste of time at that money. no ones going to spend £40 advertising a £300 car!

It costs £40 to advertise ???!!

I saw a Clio on gumtree , the owner was giving it away but I missed it by a day :frown:( was in London and all

I am in no rush to get the car , it's also somewhat educational , I have no idea how a car works but would like to find out , and I don't plan to dismantle my current runner

Plus I can chav it up, make it look like the Clio v6
Reply 16
Are you looking for a car or a car seat with that budget? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by MsFahima
Are you looking for a car or a car seat with that budget? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actual car :P

I have a car already so this is just a project

I know I can easily get a car for 1000£ but that's not the point

The challenge is to see if I can get a working car for as low as possible and it not be a crapbox like a micra or ka
Reply 18
It costs £40 to advertise ???!!

I saw a Clio on gumtree , the owner was giving it away but I missed it by a day :frown:( was in London and all

I am in no rush to get the car , it's also somewhat educational , I have no idea how a car works but would like to find out , and I don't plan to dismantle my current runner

Plus I can chav it up, make it look like the Clio v6

Autotrader is silly prices. £15 a week and trade rates aren't much better.

If you just want to learn how a car works I'm sure I can find something you can service for me!

An alternative might be looking for a motorbike. It's all the same principal after all!
Actual car :P

I have a car already so this is just a project

I know I can easily get a car for 1000£ but that's not the point

The challenge is to see if I can get a working car for as low as possible and it not be a crapbox like a micra or ka

So you dont want a crapbbox like a micra or ka, but you will willingly buy a clio?
Micras arent that bad. They might look granny ish but they are mega reliable- bomb proof even. I agree with you that ka's are rubbish though. I wouldnt touch one with a bargepole.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending