The Student Room Group

The A level Question Challenge

Thought this might be quite a fun thing to do.

Basically post a question on any A level subject - not a boring exam question and not asking for help, more like "How many electrons does lithium have?" Or "Where would you find the myelin sheath?" Something that doesn't take too long to answer. For maths and physics it is fine to ask for questions that require working out.

They can be as easy or difficult as you like, but no higher than A level standards. You can ask questions that do not relate to any specification, as long as it's educational.

Basically you gain a point for answering a question correctly, and you lose a point for a wrong answer. Everyone stars on zero points.

If it happens to have double posting - where two people answer at the same time, then the post that appears first will get the point.

Rules:

Person 1 posts a question.

Person 2 replies with an answer.

Person 1 says whether it's right or wrong.

Person 2 posts a new question.

If person 2 forgets to post a new question then someone else can post a question.

I'll go through the thread each day and create a leaderboard of the scores, so make sure you say whether the answers are right or wrong because I probably won't know. And quote me in when there's a correct answer. :colone:

Have fun! I'll let you lot start off with the first question. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Tilly-Elizabeth
Thought this might be quite a fun thing to do.

Cool - I'll play. :smile: Here's some maths...

It is given that on average one car in forty is yellow. Using a suitable approximation, find the probability that, in a random sample of 130 cars, exactly 4 are yellow.
Original post by shooks

It is given that on average one car in forty is yellow. Using a suitable approximation, find the probability that, in a random sample of 130 cars, exactly 4 are yellow.

Poission distribution.

130/40 = 3.25 for 130 cars
Unparseable latex formula:

P(4) = e^{-3.25} \timez \dfrac{3.25^4}{4!} = .1802

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by shooks

Thanks was hoping this would eventually get going :tongue:.

Quick Reply

Latest