The Student Room Group

Are these good A-Level choices?

I'm one of those people with no idea about what I want to do in the future. So, I want to try and take a mix of subjects to keep doors open. Would Maths, English Language, Spanish and History be good choices to do this? I know I really enjoy the last 3 at GCSE (I know they are different at A-Level), and maybe maths could add a bit of an 'academic' subject in there?
I'd recommend English literature instead of English language, I do both at a level and although I adore language, lit is brilliant and also really respected by universities and opens up a lot of course options, whereas english language isn't required for many courses at all :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Good mix. Maths always respected, a language always gives you an edge, and you're showing ability in essay writing with History (with a good mark). Those three subjects are all fairly academic, not just Maths.

English Language is fine, but the person above has a point (not as respected by universities, might get ignored or lower the impression on your application to uni). I'm not saying don't take it, just think about what type of university you'll want to apply to. If it does affect your application, it would only be on the top few universities in the country. So, if you don't think you'll be applying to places like Oxford or UCL or something, go ahead and ignore this and just take it. Additionally, you could take it and drop it after AS level.
Reply 3
Yep, Language vs Literature is an ongoing debate in my mind. How essay based is literature in comparison to language?
Original post by missjellyclown
Yep, Language vs Literature is an ongoing debate in my mind. How essay based is literature in comparison to language?

They're both essay based, I do AQA B for both and they're both 40% coursework 60% exams, in language the coursework is creating texts (I did an article and a monologue) whereas coursework in lit is two essays, but it depends on which exam board you're on, but they are both essay based subjects

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest