The Student Room Group

Best self-study books for AQA GCE Physics A

I am a mature student, London-based, thinking of taking AQA A level Physics A (2450) starting this (2014) summer.

I'll be studying by myself.

I taught myself Edexcel A-level Maths quite effectively (Grade B) using the Heinemann books.

What books and other study materials and resources (such as web sites or DVDs) would you recommend?

By the way - I am well aware of the need to take practical exams, and will start another thread on this topic.
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 3
Great - thank you, badlychosenone.
Reply 4
Just wondering if anybody else has any further thoughts on my initial question? Thanks in advance.
Reply 5
I have bought the books recommended above by badlychosenone. Any other suggestions please?
Original post by Snagglepuss
I have bought the books recommended above by badlychosenone. Any other suggestions please?

A-Level Physics Third Edition by Muncaster. This is an old textbook and is great if you want to know the maths behind Physics. This textbook pre dates when calculus was stripped from A-Level Physics, hence the derivation of a lot of equations are given in this textbook. Only buy this if you want to learn physics, not if you just want to pass the exam.
Reply 7
Thanks, Proto. I've just ordered Muncaster. Very sorry to hear that there is no calculus in A Physics any more. Pathetic dumbing down.
Original post by Snagglepuss
Thanks, Proto. I've just ordered Muncaster. Very sorry to hear that there is no calculus in A Physics any more. Pathetic dumbing down.

It is very sad. In the current spec, equations are given to you, and even the Nelson Thornes books give an awful derivation. Skipping fundamental steps. I have this textbook, and I'm using it for A2, lots of derivations and calculus.

Quick Reply

Latest