The Student Room Group

I'm Indian and so is he

I've been seeing this guy for 1 year and 1 month to be precise and everything was going well until I told my parents about him. I'm 21 and he's 25 so no age issue. I met him in Uni and since then there has been a spark and we understand each other really well. When I told my parents about him they went against him as he is not from the UK but what's the problem in that, as long as he loves me and treats me well which he does then there is no problem. But, my parents don't see it this way. They've basically lied and cheated with me and him as they said to us wait for a year then we'll get you married off but they were saying that so we get our hopes up high but I recently found out nothing of that such my parents happily getting us married off was never going to happen. As much of a hurtful matter this is I'm not going to let it hurt me anymore. My parents know the guy and know his family but throughout each day all they've done is lied about him that he's not good and hat but I know him well enough now and I know from all my previous relationships he's somewhat very different in a good way. I don't know what I should do now. I can't convince them anymore as they've given me their last word on this matter it's us or him. If I choose him my parent's are gone for me and I'll never be able to see them again. People have said to me it's all lies after I'm married to this guy they'll soon come around which might be the case. I know one things for sure I want to be with this guy. As people might say it's for a visa it's for a stay in the UK how can it be when he's still got an awful amount of time to still be a student here.

Any helpful advice or thoughts would be appreciated
Reply 1
He might be using you for a visa because once his student one runs out he has to go back home whether he likes it or not. But he might also care about you. It's a difficult situation you're in op and really only you can decide what you want to do, is he worth risking your family for?
Reply 2
Original post by PsychologyLover
I've been seeing this guy for 1 year and 1 month to be precise and everything was going well until I told my parents about him. I'm 21 and he's 25 so no age issue. I met him in Uni and since then there has been a spark and we understand each other really well. When I told my parents about him they went against him as he is not from the UK but what's the problem in that, as long as he loves me and treats me well which he does then there is no problem. But, my parents don't see it this way. They've basically lied and cheated with me and him as they said to us wait for a year then we'll get you married off but they were saying that so we get our hopes up high but I recently found out nothing of that such my parents happily getting us married off was never going to happen. As much of a hurtful matter this is I'm not going to let it hurt me anymore. My parents know the guy and know his family but throughout each day all they've done is lied about him that he's not good and hat but I know him well enough now and I know from all my previous relationships he's somewhat very different in a good way. I don't know what I should do now. I can't convince them anymore as they've given me their last word on this matter it's us or him. If I choose him my parent's are gone for me and I'll never be able to see them again. People have said to me it's all lies after I'm married to this guy they'll soon come around which might be the case. I know one things for sure I want to be with this guy. As people might say it's for a visa it's for a stay in the UK how can it be when he's still got an awful amount of time to still be a student here.

Any helpful advice or thoughts would be appreciated

Some people do this, guys and girls.

There really is no sure way to tell to be honest, if he is legitimate or not. We all know of stories when people have been lying for years to get a visa (we even know an illegal couple who got married over here both with expired student visas :giggle:)

Your parents only want what is best for you so they are being extremely cautious, as they should be. I suppose the only thing that you can do is wait it out and see how he acts and if he is all about marriage. If he is all about marriage then he could be using you for the visa. But if you say "let's get married later, after we both get nice jobs and see if we still like each other" or something along those lines that shows that you want to stretch it out for some years.. it might help to see if it's a charade or not.

If he truly loves you then he will have no problem waiting for some years.
The way that my family have treated him and said so much stuff about him which was untrue is just plain cheap. He's extended his visa so he doesn't have to go this year and instead has 2 years left still and also wants to study more. If he was unreal then why would he be spending so much on his fees? The way I see it, it's nothing to do with staying here or anything as such. It's just my parent's having a negative frame of mind as always.
Reply 4
If you've been together for a year, that's way too soon to be thinking about getting married!!!!
Original post by Bobbi!
If you've been together for a year, that's way too soon to be thinking about getting married!!!!

And who the **** gave you the authority to make that assertion?
Reply 6
Being a person in the world gave me the authority!

If you want to make a LIFE LONG commitment to somebody you should be with them a reasonable amount of time to know that you want to be with them for LIFE!! A year is not long enough, as people change through out the year and may react differently to different things. I'd say the absolute minimum is 2 years. Because for example if you love to go out in the summer and got with someone at the beginning of summer, the relationship will still be blooming so they are likely to come out with you and it will not be till the next summer when they show their true colours of staying inside and complaining the whole of summer.

I'm not saying that it never works but just that people should really know what they're getting them selves in for before making life long decisions-including marriage and babies!!!!
It's just been over a year I've been with him and I've known him for nearly 2 years before we were going out. So I think that is an awful amount of time. I don't think it's too soon personally I feel that I know him in a way where I am able to say with confidence he won't ever let me down.
Original post by Bobbi!
Being a person in the world gave me the authority!

If you want to make a LIFE LONG commitment to somebody you should be with them a reasonable amount of time to know that you want to be with them for LIFE!! A year is not long enough, as people change through out the year and may react differently to different things. I'd say the absolute minimum is 2 years. Because for example if you love to go out in the summer and got with someone at the beginning of summer, the relationship will still be blooming so they are likely to come out with you and it will not be till the next summer when they show their true colours of staying inside and complaining the whole of summer.

I'm not saying that it never works but just that people should really know what they're getting them selves in for before making life long decisions-including marriage and babies!!!!

Right, there's one thing to say to someone to they should be careful in considering a life-long commitment, its another thing to quantify it. I'm not quite sure how you've come to the figure of two years. Your "seasonal" argument seems quite anecdotal and I'm not sure it has any relevance in this thread at all.

So I ask again, under what authority do you have to make the assertion that one should be with their partner for a minimum of two years before proceeding to marriage? I'm not entirely disagreeing with what you say, by the way.
So are you people saying I should think about this more, or follow my heart?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending