The Student Room Group

Any students/young people here running their own business?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by davidtyoember
about what?

Fashion/Beauty/Lifestyle/Style/Politics/Travel.

And I'd want to do it online.
Original post by davidtyoember
do you have a target audience in mind?

Young women aged between 18-29.
I will start some sort of business this year..just need some start up money.
Original post by Dee Leigh

Bear in mind that there are already plenty of magazines available which are about the things you said, so why would they read yours? What would be different about yours that would attract people?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sole trader doing 3D CAD freelance and also just dabbling in web design. Looking to start something up using my knowledge of ecommerce etc, just need the right idea/partner!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Here! I'm self-employed, registered as a sole trader as a game development/production business.

Currently in sixth form; going to study computer science and game engineering at uni.
Reply 46
I paid my tax bill yesterday, and it's going to take me 6 months to recover psychologically.
Original post by sjgriffiths
Here! I'm self-employed, registered as a sole trader as a game development/production business.

Currently in sixth form; going to study computer science and game engineering at uni.

Lol good one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
I graduated in engineering, got a job in space industry and now in the process of launching a robotics R&D company. The road is very tough but extremely rewarding in many ways.
I am trying to start a freelance translation agency. At the moment I'm offering to translate documents from French to English and from English to French for free to gain experience. If any of you with small businesses would like to talk about potential collaboration just let me know :smile: I made a thread about it here.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3564673

I do have the relevant qualifications btw
Reply 50
Original post by Clip
I paid my tax bill yesterday, and it's going to take me 6 months to recover psychologically.

I pay 10% tax and even that makes me sick. I'd probably lose it as well if I had to pay UK taxes.
in the process of setting something small up but just lack the time to get into it fully due to studying and working. It would most likely be a side earner tbh. Only need a few 100 for investment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd love to open a crafts business.
I have a couple ideas and I believe that I'm a more practical orientated person, despite doing a degree. I'm going into final year,so time is precious, but I will try anyway. My uni had a business advice service, so I'm really lucky I've got the help I need, or anyone would need when starting a business.
Original post by Dee Leigh

I would suggest maybe starting with a wordpress template - all free make it look as close to how you want it to look that you can, and just start writing as consistently as possible and see how it goes, with writing though you may need to spend a long time refining before things get moving so be prepared for that. (actually before this you might even want to to some posts on Medium)

Also you can easily be really intelligent about your posts to maximise their outreach e.g. find out when the people you want to read your post (bad answer = everyone, better answer = this people who live here who are really interested in hair etc.), are online and time your posts for that (or play around with a few times), make your posts topical (so if something big has happened in the space do a post about that) so people are more likely to find them, and find them relevant + useful.
to answer the thread question, I'm in the midst of trying to set up my first business, its an extremely new concept so hasn't been easy but still at it, will soon be doing testing just to make sure its actually something people will use today not just something nice.
lol i have a business its called ur nan lol lmao
I'd like to start an NGO some day if that counts (???)
Original post by lilacunicorn
I'd like to start an NGO some day if that counts (???)

well its still a business last time I checked :P

do you know what you plan for it to be based around?
Original post by nlostwanderer
well its still a business last time I checked :P

do you know what you plan for it to be based around?

Hmm, to be honest, I don't have a clue. I can't exactly think of one particular sector I want it to be based on. Perhaps human rights since that's what touches me the most, but then again I can't bring myself to narrow it down to something specific.

What about you, would you like to start a business?
Original post by lilacunicorn
Hmm, to be honest, I don't have a clue. I can't exactly think of one particular sector I want it to be based on. Perhaps human rights since that's what touches me the most, but then again I can't bring myself to narrow it down to something specific.

What about you, would you like to start a business?

I can definitely relate to that, I'm interested in so many different things but I know I only have one life, and I doubt it would be possible to be effective in all of them, at the very least I know I need to focus on one thing at a time so I can actually get it going.

I am in the middle of trying to get a project of the ground as well as working with some startups, learning what it takes to run a company etc.

NGO's and social entrepreneurship is a big interest of mine and I hope to be of use in that area at some point, particularly ethical fashion, I think there's a big opportunity there at the moment

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending