The Student Room Group

What societies are you a part of?

I'm going to uni in September, and I've been looking at all the societies my uni offers, made me quite curious as to what everyone else does and if they're as good as they look.

So which societies do you go to? Are you a regular member, or just occasionally? Any disappointments?

Scroll to see replies

bump? :frown: was this a silly thing to ask?
Reply 2
Original post by brendonbackflip
bump? :frown: was this a silly thing to ask?

Bump! I'm actually curious too..

I really want to join an animal related society... Not like animal rights groups who just protest, but a society which volunteer at shelters and stuff.
Original post by Basmaa
Bump! I'm actually curious too..

I really want to join an animal related society... Not like animal rights groups who just protest, but a society which volunteer at shelters and stuff.

Awww that sounds lovely :smile: Are you doing an animal-related degree or is it just a hobby?

I'm not sure what I want to do, sounds really lame but I don't have that many interests, so university's hopefully where I become a non-boring person lol
Reply 4
Awww that sounds lovely :smile: Are you doing an animal-related degree or is it just a hobby?

I'm not sure what I want to do, sounds really lame but I don't have that many interests, so university's hopefully where I become a non-boring person lol

Nope, but I live in a farm house and spent my whole life surrounded by animals so I can't imagine living without them at uni.

Same! Plus I really want to make more friends.
Do you see yourself leaning more towards the sporty societies or the volunteering or..?
Reply 5
Somewhat ironically, as it has just been mentioned - in second year I started volunteering at a local animal shelter, and quickly fell in love with it. It became pretty much the only thing I did. So I started a society for it as well. We encourage our members to go there and help directly, either in cafe/hands-on help/shop work, or we gather volunteers for outside events such as marshaling races, for which the organisers will give the charity lots of money. And on campus we fundraise through quizzes, crawls, bingo events, cake sales, anything else we can do. It's pretty hard to keep it going sometimes but it's been so important to my university life.

I'm also on my college netball team, if that counts, and I've had ties with the Pokemon Society, which I/my partner also helped found in first year, and a couple of others music/game based. But the animal charity society is my baby, I'll be so sad to leave it and pass the presidential baton over... partly because I really fear for its future. Eek
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Basmaa
Nope, but I live in a farm house and spent my whole life surrounded by animals so I can't imagine living without them at uni.

Same! Plus I really want to make more friends.
Do you see yourself leaning more towards the sporty societies or the volunteering or..?

Aww fair enough :h:
I'd probably would do volunteering of some sort, I like the look of some of the politcal/campaigning groups too. Sport and me don't mix haha.
I'm looking to join a Trading Society once I begin my course.
Original post by awe
Somewhat ironically, as it has just been mentioned - in second year I started volunteering at a local animal shelter, and quickly fell in love with it. It became pretty much the only thing I did. So I started a society for it as well. We encourage our members to go there and help directly, either in cafe/hands-on help/shop work, or we gather volunteers for outside events such as marshaling races, for which the organisers will give the charity lots of money. And on campus we fundraise through quizzes, crawls, bingo events, cake sales, anything else we can do. It's pretty hard to keep it going sometimes but it's been so important to my university life.

I'm also on my college netball team, if that counts, and I've had ties with the Pokemon Society, which I/my partner also helped found in first year, and a couple of others music/game based. But the animal charity society is my baby, I'll be so sad to leave it and pass the presidential baton over... partly because I really fear for its future. Eek

I like all this animal love :h: Was it 'easy' to set up societies? ('easy' because it sounds like maintaining it is pretty difficult)
Original post by Abdul-Karim
I'm looking to join a Trading Society once I begin my course.

What is it? Never heard of that before!
Reply 10
I like all this animal love :h: Was it 'easy' to set up societies? ('easy' because it sounds like maintaining it is pretty difficult)

Me too. (:

Hmm. Yes and no.
The university (Lancaster) made it pretty easy - an exec, and fifteen 'member' signatures, and you're in. There are things you have to tick off throughout the year, but honestly, as a small society causing very little trouble and being 'low risk' health and safety-wise, we do what we like.

But we started in the middle of the year (so couldn't do freshers' fair etc) and we really struggled with getting quality members. Usually for a fundraiser it would be myself and the friend I set it up with, we would do everything ourselves. We had some good members but they would come and go, they didn't have the same love for the shelter and society as we did and it was just a bit of fun for them whereas we were trying to really start something, a strong link between the uni and the sanctuary. She also graduated, so I was so nervous I would be alone/have to give the society up purely from having a lack of 'real' members. Luckily I found one person who will take it over from me, but she still will have the same issue. People love animals, and people are happy to fundraise - but at the same time, they are not, hah. Unless you have the real love for the shelter itself as I and the two other girls do, sometimes the volunteering is a 'chore' just because it has the element of charity in it. Which is twisted, but true. So the real struggle has been getting commitment from members who are often all 'talk and no walk' haha.

Also, we have to bicker with the union quite a bit about a few things, and they've totally failed me on one occasion, which results in cutting some of our donations directly in half.

Just remembered - I'm also a member of an organic fruit, veg and wholefoods co-op society. It's great. We source brilliant foodstuffs from local and organic sources and sell them on campus in the weekly farmer's market. This society is especially not without its battles with the union, though. Grr. That's the main issue for most non-sporting societies; support when it matters.
What is it? Never heard of that before!

Stock markets.
Politics
Sociology
Magazine
Reply 13
Rock (the music type)
And soon the pirate society

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
I joined:
Law
Bar soc (barristers)
Conservatives
Cheerleading
Horse riding
Public speaking
Tea society
Cheese society

The last three clashed massively with the others so have only been to one tea event out of all of those! Would thus warn not to join till you have an idea if you can make them! It's not that I don't have time/effort, but they like to meet at same times as the more important clubs.
Next year I will carry on first 4/5 and potentially join one or two more low commitment ones like Russian soc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I remember when I started in sept 13, I wanted to join loads; paintball, alton towers, touch rugby, finance, 5-a-side football, flying club etc, but I had to pay for each and quickly realised that along with playing IMS Rugby and my course it would be too much. In the end I joined two, Finance (for career help) and touch rugby, but still found that I went to two finance meetings and no socials, and about 5 touch matches and again no socials. Long story short you will really only need to join around 2/3 in total and unless you join their committee you wont attend them all regularly. But thats just my opinion and experiences, you could be different :smile:

1 reason was because the best mates I made were ones in my accomodation (closely followed by course and rugby) and would rather chill or go out with them than those in the society.

EDIT- I doubt id join any other than finance next year, esp if I get into a Uni sport team (which is so damn hard a loughborough :mad:)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Societies are one of the best things about uni. Join as many as you can and find the ones you really enjoy.
Reply 17
None because they're pretty much all dead, apart from the sports groups but i'm not a sporty person, at least not in terms of playing badminton, football, tennis etc. I'd rather go the gym.
I joined tonnes during freshers' week ended up not really participated in many.
Reply 19
-Was very heavily involved with the physics society for two years, but been an active member for an additional one and a half years.

-I did some stuff with the hiking club in my first/second year, but I found it very clique-y and I found out I could get up to the Lake District for a similar price whenever I wanted an go where I wanted. The bus takes a lot longer, but the freedom is worth the additional 2 hours each way.

-Been active in the rock and metal society for three and a half years now. I've never been on the executive team though, but is some kind of record.

-Been active in the living history society for about a year and a half. I go to as many combat training sessions as I can, but tend not to do craft sessions as I'm pretty bad at making stuff!

-I've also been a member of the pagan society and video game society, but never did anything with them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending