The Student Room Group

Sociology

I don't understand how to answer questions that tell me to 'discuss how far'
This is the question: Discuss how far sociologists would agree that the roles of men and women in the family have changed significantly in the past 50 years.
How would I answer that?
Original post by Nadine_08
I don't understand how to answer questions that tell me to 'discuss how far'
This is the question: Discuss how far sociologists would agree that the roles of men and women in the family have changed significantly in the past 50 years.
How would I answer that?

You need to give a sense of how much something has changed in relation to the structures that exist now.

Start off with the base line, which in this instance is the family 50 years ago. What was it like? How is it different to now?

Then maybe think about other societies, how does the family today compare to families in other countries? How much more could it change?

I would suggest that the roles of men and women in the family have changed radically over the last 50 years but they could still change much more. At the same time, you could argue that they haven't changed 'that' much because in general, women still take maternity leave and men still remain the main bread winner. It's all up to your own personal opinion on what significant means. For instance, they have started to balance out but they haven't completely reversed...

Quite an interesting question actually.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Captain Jack
You need to give a sense of how much something has changed in relation to the structures that exist now.

Start off with the base line, which in this instance is the family 50 years ago. What was it like? How is it different to now?

Then maybe think about other societies, how does the family today compare to families in other countries? How much more could it change?

I would suggest that the roles of men and women in the family have changed radically over the last 50 years but they could still change much more. At the same time, you could argue that they haven't changed 'that' much because in general, women still take maternity leave and men still remain the main bread winner. It's all up to your own personal opinion on what significant means. For instance, they have started to balance out but they haven't completely reversed...

Quite an interesting question actually.

Thank you:smile: You've really helped:smile::smile:
Original post by Nadine_08
Thank you:smile: You've really helped:smile::smile:

Awesome, no problemo :smile: Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest