The Student Room Group

Law applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by binarythoughts
Do you have any other offers?

Hey, yes I do have an offer from Leicester :smile: Also to clarify, not through extra but just the normal application.
Original post by ddalgi
Hey, yes I do have an offer from Leicester :smile: Also to clarify, not through extra but just the normal application.

I'm not totally sure, but I don't think you can do that anymore. If you withdraw it, I don't think you can add any other uni bc it's too late
Original post by binarythoughts
I'm not totally sure, but I don't think you can do that anymore. If you withdraw it, I don't think you can add any other uni bc it's too late

Ah well, I forgot that there was a 14 day limit :frown: Just read it somewhere. Thanks so much though!!! :smile: Appreciate it!
Hi all! Bristol or Birmingham for law? (based on graduate prospect, campus environment etc)

International student here. :smile:
Original post by zqxwce123
got rejected by UCL... Feeling a bit down right now. still waiting for warwick and queen mary.

When did you applied?
Original post by catmeows
When did you applied?

applied on 23rd dec
Original post by catmeows
Hi all! Bristol or Birmingham for law? (based on graduate prospect, campus environment etc)

International student here. :smile:

I'd personally go for Bristol. I think it's law school has a better reputation overall. Are you doing the IB?
Please can someone help me, I am so stuck between Warwick, Leeds and Birmingham! Could anyone share their thoughts on this? I know academically perhaps Warwick has the edge but if I am considering the overall student experience (which is so important to me) and career opportunities collectively it becomes so complicated! Would really appreciate some insight on this...
Original post by shann_ng
Please can someone help me, I am so stuck between Warwick, Leeds and Birmingham! Could anyone share their thoughts on this? I know academically perhaps Warwick has the edge but if I am considering the overall student experience (which is so important to me) and career opportunities collectively it becomes so complicated! Would really appreciate some insight on this...

Warwick definitely has the academic edge but personally if you want the prestige of a good law school and awesome nightlife/social nightlife I would go for Birmingham over Leeds. Whilst Leeds might be said by some to be more party focused city, I think Birmingham has the. Enter reputation and law firms love coming to visit the well respected law school, as evidenced by the number of events the holdsworth club run in collaboration with top law firms. It's also a bit more central and has lots to do there. The sporting opportunities are top notch at Birmingham and there's lots of campus redevelopments going on too XD

I might be a bit biased as I have firmed Birmingham for law September 2015 entry
has anyone got an offer or heard from UCL? I applied in November and still haven't heard back.
Original post by neal95
Warwick definitely has the academic edge but personally if you want the prestige of a good law school and awesome nightlife/social nightlife I would go for Birmingham over Leeds. Whilst Leeds might be said by some to be more party focused city, I think Birmingham has the. Enter reputation and law firms love coming to visit the well respected law school, as evidenced by the number of events the holdsworth club run in collaboration with top law firms. It's also a bit more central and has lots to do there. The sporting opportunities are top notch at Birmingham and there's lots of campus redevelopments going on too XD

I might be a bit biased as I have firmed Birmingham for law September 2015 entry

Thank you so much for going to the trouble in writing all that! I have to be honest though I went on the applicant day the other week and just got home from Leeds today and feel like Leeds social/night life may be better but I don't know. Leeds also seems more modern and the people seem more friendly but then again Birmingham also seemed lovely. I HATE making decisions this is awful haha. But thank you and I hope you get the grades! :smile:
Thank you so much for going to the trouble in writing all that! I have to be honest though I went on the applicant day the other week and just got home from Leeds today and feel like Leeds social/night life may be better but I don't know. Leeds also seems more modern and the people seem more friendly but then again Birmingham also seemed lovely. I HATE making decisions this is awful haha. But thank you and I hope you get the grades! :smile:

It's no problem haha! And yeah Leeds probably seems a bit more lively and probably is, I just really liked Birminghams architecture and the law school when I went but Leeds is really respected aswell and in sure you will have no trouble getting a job afterwards with a degree from there :smile: do you want to go into practicing law or onto a graduate scheme? Thanks and good luck with your exams too and I hope you also get the grades :smile:
Original post by neal95
It's no problem haha! And yeah Leeds probably seems a bit more lively and probably is, I just really liked Birminghams architecture and the law school when I went but Leeds is really respected aswell and in sure you will have no trouble getting a job afterwards with a degree from there :smile: do you want to go into practicing law or onto a graduate scheme? Thanks and good luck with your exams too and I hope you also get the grades :smile:

Maybe they are both on par with each other? I just don't know how I feel, in one sense I loved Leeds but then I still am unsure because it does seem like a lot of people on here say Birmingham is really good when Leeds doesn't get mentioned really haha which is causing some uncertainty for me. I think I would want to do the course then try to get a training contract! How about you? and thanks, lets hope we both get where we want to get :smile:
Original post by law2015
has anyone got an offer or heard from UCL? I applied in November and still haven't heard back.

Same boat over here! I applied on the 9th October and according to Portico they still haven't started to consider my application. It's so annoying waiting to hear back from them!
Maybe they are both on par with each other? I just don't know how I feel, in one sense I loved Leeds but then I still am unsure because it does seem like a lot of people on here say Birmingham is really good when Leeds doesn't get mentioned really haha which is causing some uncertainty for me. I think I would want to do the course then try to get a training contract! How about you? and thanks, lets hope we both get where we want to get :smile:

Yeah that seems like a fair statement to make, I think Birmingham is mentioned more on here because it is bigger/looks like a more traditional styles uni, I don't know haha! It's confusing!? You could check out various societies and and the pro bono opportunities available at each, the CEPLER and flag at Birmingham was what interested me. Yeah I'm hoping to get a training contract, preferably in London and with one of the commercial firms there!

Hi I am practically in the same boat as you deciding between Leeds and Birmingham I live near Birmingham and have had a few nights out there haha it is very good! But I am been told Leeds is a lot better the only problem with Birmingham I felt it didn't compare to Leeds the area around Birmingham Selly oak which you will live around is not a nice put it lightly although there are round places anywhere you go if you go Birmingham please don't get stuck digbeth at 1 in the morning! My law teacher went Birmingham so I have been talking to her a lot and she said the lecturers are very distant and hardly ever want to help they just want results which I got from the applicant day like its weird because I was so set on Birmingham so the get go! And like just the people they were so miserable and you could tell they couldn't wait to leave there was no where to speak to! Like Leeds was completely different they were so helpful and enthusiastic and really cared as weird as it sounds amount you developing in to like what you want to be, and as well they year in industry which is really appealing because of the job market this is the only uni (Russell group) that offers it! As well all of the third/ fours years had a job that were there on the day in big London international firms where no one I spoke to had. As well my teacher was saying when she went to Birmingham it was 6 th in the country now it's 19? There must be a reason for that where are Leeds really is climbing it's first in law research etc. and Leeds was a nice combo of new and old where Birmingham was just old and not very appealing! Personally I just felt Leeds is more suited to myself I feel I would prefer it and have a better time! But ultimately it's up to you! Warwick is good like I live really really close it's just in the middle of nowhere but if you like environment I would go Warwick, Birmingham you need to get trains in to town and stuff but Leeds you are right in the city! But anyway good luck with you exams and maybe I might see you in September
Ps sorry for the long message! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iano101
I'd say depends what you want, all are respectable unis - however out of those 3 I would rank them in terms or prestige/prospects as:

1. Warwick
2. Birmingham
3. Queen Mary

However they are different types of uni campuses. If you want city you should choose between Birmingham and queen Mary. If you want a campus, student hub you should pick Warwick.

My best advice is choose between city/and rural which will narrow you down. Personally it would be a decision between Warwick and Birmingham and I'd probably choose Warwick.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for replying! Why would you choose Warwick?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by neal95
Yeah that seems like a fair statement to make, I think Birmingham is mentioned more on here because it is bigger/looks like a more traditional styles uni, I don't know haha! It's confusing!? You could check out various societies and and the pro bono opportunities available at each, the CEPLER and flag at Birmingham was what interested me. Yeah I'm hoping to get a training contract, preferably in London and with one of the commercial firms there!

Yeah maybe! I have had a look and I went with such an open mind to Birmingham, it is a really good university and I can see why people would like it but I guess it just didn't 'click' for me haha but I guess what I'm trying to get from asking the question on here is if it would put me in a better stead leaving uni as if it would massively then I would suck it up and go to Birmingham! I'm the same as you, hopefully it will work out for the both of us! :smile:

Original post by C12345
Hi I am practically in the same boat as you deciding between Leeds and Birmingham I live near Birmingham and have had a few nights out there haha it is very good! But I am been told Leeds is a lot better the only problem with Birmingham I felt it didn't compare to Leeds the area around Birmingham Selly oak which you will live around is not a nice put it lightly although there are round places anywhere you go if you go Birmingham please don't get stuck digbeth at 1 in the morning! My law teacher went Birmingham so I have been talking to her a lot and she said the lecturers are very distant and hardly ever want to help they just want results which I got from the applicant day like its weird because I was so set on Birmingham so the get go! And like just the people they were so miserable and you could tell they couldn't wait to leave there was no where to speak to! Like Leeds was completely different they were so helpful and enthusiastic and really cared as weird as it sounds amount you developing in to like what you want to be, and as well they year in industry which is really appealing because of the job market this is the only uni (Russell group) that offers it! As well all of the third/ fours years had a job that were there on the day in big London international firms where no one I spoke to had. As well my teacher was saying when she went to Birmingham it was 6 th in the country now it's 19? There must be a reason for that where are Leeds really is climbing it's first in law research etc. and Leeds was a nice combo of new and old where Birmingham was just old and not very appealing! Personally I just felt Leeds is more suited to myself I feel I would prefer it and have a better time! But ultimately it's up to you! Warwick is good like I live really really close it's just in the middle of nowhere but if you like environment I would go Warwick, Birmingham you need to get trains in to town and stuff but Leeds you are right in the city! But anyway good luck with you exams and maybe I might see you in September
Ps sorry for the long message! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your reply, glad I'm not the only one in the same situation haha. Yeah, I think I just fell in love with the campus at Leeds and everyone seemed massively friendly/helpful which sold it to me tbh! I think you're right about it being a good combination at Leeds, I felt a different atmosphere at Birmingham too and more I'm thinking about it more I think I could be so happy in Leeds and yeah maybe see you in september good luck with your exams too! :smile:
Yeah maybe! I have had a look and I went with such an open mind to Birmingham, it is a really good university and I can see why people would like it but I guess it just didn't 'click' for me haha but I guess what I'm trying to get from asking the question on here is if it would put me in a better stead leaving uni as if it would massively then I would suck it up and go to Birmingham! I'm the same as you, hopefully it will work out for the both of us! :smile:

Thank you for your reply, glad I'm not the only one in the same situation haha. Yeah, I think I just fell in love with the campus at Leeds and everyone seemed massively friendly/helpful which sold it to me tbh! I think you're right about it being a good combination at Leeds, I felt a different atmosphere at Birmingham too and more I'm thinking about it more I think I could be so happy in Leeds and yeah maybe see you in september good luck with your exams too! :smile:

Yeah I know what you mean, some places just click and it's best to go with your guy feeling sometimes! Another reason I want to go to Birmingham is so that I can keep my season ticket for aston villa up and it isn't too far from home but neither to close. I have a few mates who went to Leeds last year and it is a brilliant city I went to visit and there was loads to do in the city nightclubs and restaurants etc so I think wherever you end up going you will have a great time and succeed at your goal if you work hard! Good luck for your exams :smile:
can't we make an enquiry by calling them up?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending