The Student Room Group

Law applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

I still haven't heard back from Bristol for law and I'm starting to get worried because accommodation applications have opened for all my other unis and I'm waiting on bristol to choose my firm and insurance!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emilyak
I still haven't heard back from Bristol for law and I'm starting to get worried because accommodation applications have opened for all my other unis and I'm waiting on bristol to choose my firm and insurance!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

that really sucks! it's pretty much a matter of how patient you are as the wait is quite excruciating. I couldn't stand waiting for Birmingham pretty much due to same circumstances...including student finance. so I pretty much withdrew my application haha (knowing I'll get an offer anyway) but I didn't feel too bad as I got a bursary for the LNAT. however, I wouldn't advice the same lol, you never know, they could decide tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by steelman1000
that really sucks! it's pretty much a matter of how patient you are as the wait is quite excruciating. I couldn't stand waiting for Birmingham pretty much due to same circumstances...including student finance. so I pretty much withdrew my application haha (knowing I'll get an offer anyway) but I didn't feel too bad as I got a bursary for the LNAT. however, I wouldn't advice the same lol, you never know, they could decide tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's so painful!!, I really want to go to Bristol as well!, I don't even know my LNAT score because I did it after 15th Jan so I've no way of knowing whether I'm in with a high or low chance of an offer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emilyak
It's so painful!!, I really want to go to Bristol as well!, I don't even know my LNAT score because I did it after 15th Jan so I've no way of knowing whether I'm in with a high or low chance of an offer!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm.. I see. I guess if you really want to go there, then there's nothing you can do other than to wait for them to decide. however, you could try emailing them (sometimes it's not advisable as they could just put your application on hold for a specific reason) if that helps. good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
If anyone has an offer or rejected by Bristol please quote me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by oli19919

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have an offer

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have an offer but I did my LNAT before the deadline.
Original post by memoona123456
I have an offer

Congrats! Can I ask what you got at GCSE pleaseee

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MG1762
I have an offer but I did my LNAT before the deadline.

Congratulations! May I ask what you got at GCSE please

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing the International Baccalaureate so I did my school's equivalent to the GCSEs. I got mostly 6s and 7s which equates to As and A*s at GCSE. I don't think Bristol places too much of an emphasis on the GCSEs though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! I got 8A*'s and 2A. Stay positive- they still have time to respond to you :smile:
Original post by MG1762
I'm doing the International Baccalaureate so I did my school's equivalent to the GCSEs. I got mostly 6s and 7s which equates to As and A*s at GCSE. I don't think Bristol places too much of an emphasis on the GCSEs though.

Ok thanks, would you say 6 A* is a good number? Why did you choose bristol (just curious, I want to go there)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you! I got 8A*'s and 2A. Stay positive- they still have time to respond to you :smile:

Irrelevant but I have exactly the same grades!

Haha im doing my gcses now!! I know it's very early to choose unis but it's interesting to look and means I will know what I'm doing when applying (hopefully). I want 6 A* at GCSE, would you say this is enough? Do you have any tips for applying? I love everything about the idea of going to do law at Bristol. I just hope it's still AAA when I apply in a couple of years!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok thanks, would you say 6 A* is a good number? Why did you choose bristol (just curious, I want to go there)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bristol's my insurance offer actually, I've firmed King's College London. I would say 6 A* should be fine for Bristol. Where else have you applied?
Original post by MG1762
Bristol's my insurance offer actually, I've firmed King's College London. I would say 6 A* should be fine for Bristol. Where else have you applied?

This is going to sound daft but I haven't applied yet! I'm doing my GCSEs atm and im just curious what grades are good

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha im doing my gcses now!! I know it's very early to choose unis but it's interesting to look and means I will know what I'm doing when applying (hopefully). I want 6 A* at GCSE, would you say this is enough? Do you have any tips for applying? I love everything about the idea of going to do law at Bristol. I just hope it's still AAA when I apply in a couple of years!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh haha! It's never too early- I went to my first Uni open day at the end of Year 11. I eventually decided on Bristol because I really love the course, Law and German. It's an highly reputed uni in a stunning location. Those gcse grades are more than enough. Write a good personal statement would be my tip. I wish you all the best and if you have any other question feel free to inbox me :smile:
Oh haha! It's never too early- I went to my first Uni open day at the end of Year 11. I eventually decided on Bristol because I really love the course, Law and German. It's an highly reputed uni in a stunning location. Those gcse grades are more than enough. Write a good personal statement would be my tip. I wish you all the best and if you have any other question feel free to inbox me :smile:

Thank you! Last one-> would you say the prospect of not getting training contract has ever crossed your mind? I have a fear that I would get a 2:1 from an RG but not be able to get a good firm. I want a national/regional firm, not a small high street but not a massive London one like Clifford Chance. Do you worry that training contracts are too competitive? Even with a 2:1 from bristol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you! Last one-> would you say the prospect of not getting training contract has ever crossed your mind? I have a fear that I would get a 2:1 from an RG but not be able to get a good firm. I want a national/regional firm, not a small high street but not a massive London one like Clifford Chance. Do you worry that training contracts are too competitive? Even with a 2:1 from bristol

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a level playing field. Those training contracts have to go to someone. But getting one isn't simply pot luck and getting a 2:1 isn't enough. You have to demonstrate that you know what your entering so make sure you have a breadth of work experience and be more than someone who merely excelled academically. I'm not scared of not get a training contact because there's really more to life than working at a top law firm. But I know that if you really want something and you have the dedication to commit yourself to it then the effort will pay off. It's all about trying and if you don't try you'll never know.
It's a level playing field. Those training contracts have to go to someone. But getting one isn't simply pot luck and getting a 2:1 isn't enough. You have to demonstrate that you know what your entering so make sure you have a breadth of work experience and be more than someone who merely excelled academically. I'm not scared of not get a training contact because there's really more to life than working at a top law firm. But I know that if you really want something and you have the dedication to commit yourself to it then the effort will pay off. It's all about trying and if you don't try you'll never know.

Ok thank you, I imagine firms outside of London would typically have less competition for places, but then again there would be less on offer. I should stop thinking about this and just focus on getting to Bristol in the first place and worry about it later! GCSES should be my priority right now not training contracts!! Haha anyway, thanks for the advice. I know around 4 solicitors well, and they have said I can have work experience there (not vacation scheme or anything just something to put on personal statement) and this would allow me to make some contacts quite quickly and give me something to talk or write about when applying to uni. What sort of work experience is good when applying for law at uni, if any? And how much?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending