The Student Room Group

Law applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Why do university rankings fluctuate so much between sites? York is 31st in one and 8th in another? Is there a reason for this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AlexSpecter
Why do university rankings fluctuate so much between sites? York is 31st in one and 8th in another? Is there a reason for this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know right! It's so confusing. Not sure but I think it could be because they all use different measures/criteria in ranking them..?
Either that or league tables are just full of ****.
I got above 90% average UMS for both AS Psychology and History (I got 99/100 UMS for one of my History units) but a high C in Biology and an E in Physics.

What are my chances of getting into Bristol, Edinburgh, Manchester, QMUL or/and Exeter? I'm predicted A*A*B (the B is for Bio and may change into an A depending on whether my mock test went well -- let's say it stays as a B).

If my chances are slim I'd rather just do Psychology then graduate entry Law (I've been recommended this pathway by my History teacher who did Law).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by orphan_black
I got above 90% average UMS for both AS Psychology and History (I got 99/100 UMS for one of my History units) but a high C in Biology and an E in Physics.

What are my chances of getting into Bristol, Edinburgh, Manchester, QMUL or/and Exeter? I'm predicted A*A*B (the B is for Bio and may change into an A depending on whether my mock test went well -- let's say it stays as a B).

If my chances are slim I'd rather just do Psychology then graduate entry Law (I've been recommended this pathway by my History teacher who did Law).

Email the unis and see what they say. I think bristol and exeter and possibly qmul are reasonable choices as they accept students with a b grade right?? not sure about edinburgh or mancs, but there's no harm in having two aspirtaional choices? Plus, if you know you defo want to do law, do not waste the time and money doing a different degree - it doesn't make any sense, especially because you will have a far more thorough understanding of the law if you do it for three years than one. Ultimately it's your choice, but if you're choosing psychology because you think you won't get in then I would reconider - three years is a long time to do something you 'kinda' want to be doing. Your predicitions are strong, but i can understand your hesitance with the 'b'. If the other aspects of your profile are strong then i would consider it.
(edited 9 years ago)

Isn't Edinburgh BBB for law?

I think you have a good chance with Exeter, Manchester and edinburgh (if I'm correct with grades)

But bristol is so hard to get into and they weigh it a lot on your AS grades (well, on the open day they told me this) but have aspirational choices too! :smile:
I'm so confused as to why Exeter give some people AAA offers and some AAB. Mine was AAA :s-smilie:
Original post by BlueSkyeCloudyDay
Email the unis and see what they say. I think bristol and exeter and possibly qmul are reasonable choices as they accept students with a b grade right?? not sure about edinburgh or mancs, but there's no harm in having two aspirtaional choices? Plus, if you know you defo want to do law, do not waste the time and money doing a different degree - it doesn't make any sense, especially because you will have a far more thorough understanding of the law if you do it for three years than one. Ultimately it's your choice, but if you're choosing psychology because you think you won't get in then I would reconider - three years is a long time to do something you 'kinda' want to be doing. Your predicitions are strong, but i can understand your hesitance with the 'b'. If the other aspects of your profile are strong then i would consider it.

To be completely fair, I don't mind doing either. I know for a fact I can get into UCL, King's, Durham etc if I opted out for Psychology because my personal statement is really good whereas for Law it's sort of "meh".
Original post by rachwilko03
Isn't Edinburgh BBB for law?

I think you have a good chance with Exeter, Manchester and edinburgh (if I'm correct with grades)

But bristol is so hard to get into and they weigh it a lot on your AS grades (well, on the open day they told me this) but have aspirational choices too! :smile:

Hmmm... I might change Bristol for something else then :/
To be completely fair, I don't mind doing either. I know for a fact I can get into UCL, King's, Durham etc if I opted out for Psychology because my personal statement is really good whereas for Law it's sort of "meh".

Just to be cautious - your PS isn't the deciding factor in your app, it's the overall quality of it in relation to the other candidates applying. So if you want to do psych, you think you'll be good at it and you really don't mind then just apply for psych but do not applying being 'certain' you will get an offer from those top unis, or be able to meet their offer definitely. A lot can change in a few months, but ultimately it's up to you. If you've already written a ps for psych then are you leaning more towards that? Is law just a thing you've been thinking of now you're actually applying? If that's the case, I would go for psych?
Hey guys,

Apparently the screen on the LNAT doesn't let you write more than 750 words. But mine did...I was at 751 and I was trying to take out a word but then the time ran out. I just need clarification on this, please.
Original post by hopesndreams
Hey guys,

Apparently the screen on the LNAT doesn't let you write more than 750 words. But mine did...I was at 751 and I was trying to take out a word but then the time ran out. I just need clarification on this, please.

it let me go over too, when splurging ideas down on screen I took my essay to well over 800 words, then cut down the crap, rephrased and it ended at 748. In my experience the LNAT wasn't the horror show I expected it would be

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by georgieooooo
it let me go over too, when splurging ideas down on screen I took my essay to well over 800 words, then cut down the crap, rephrased and it ended at 748. In my experience the LNAT wasn't the horror show I expected it would be

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh my! I wrote 748 words too :P. Mine did stop counting at 750 though and had to change a few things as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone give me tips on how to structure the LNAT essay?
is it

point for
point against for each paragraph
I'm so glad my universities don't require me to do an LNAT test

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm applying to two LNAT unis now (Bristol and Birmingham) and I'm bricking it -- this girl I know who does Law at UCL said she prepared a month beforehand and managed to get 37/42 and she's an international student. She said she'd revise for it for two hours a day for a month but I just can't see how (unless I buy an LNAT book).

To anyone doing the LNAT, are the books useful and if so which ones are? I really want to do as well as I possibly can because if I apply to SOAS, even though they don't wait it, will lower my offer by a considerable amount (A*AA to ABB).
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm applying to two LNAT unis now (Bristol and Birmingham) and I'm bricking it -- this girl I know who does Law at UCL said she prepared a month beforehand and managed to get 37/42 and she's an international student. She said she'd revise for it for two hours a day for a month but I just can't see how (unless I buy an LNAT book).

To anyone doing the LNAT, are the books useful and if so which ones are? I really want to do as well as I possibly can because if I apply to SOAS, even though they don't wait it, will lower my offer by a considerable amount (A*AA to ABB).

I thought the LNAT books were all rubbish. Don't waste your money :smile:
Morning guys. Struggling to decide on my last option/insurance choice for UCAS. I'm in between Uni of Law and Oxford Brookes. They've got the same requirements. Any help will be appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tarteeliax
I'm so glad my universities don't require me to do an LNAT test

Posted from TSR Mobile

I second this🙋
Hi guys I'm thinking of doing a 'criminology & criminal justice' degree then doing a Law conversion course?

Would this be possible / wise?

GCSE predictions:
Chemistry: A/B
Physics: A
Biology: A/B
English Lang: A* (did this last year)
RS: A*
Art: A/A*
Drama: A/A*
Spanish: A
Maths: A
English Lit: A*

Would these be okay A Level options?

Art
Psychology
Politics
English Lit

//

Art
Politics
RS
English Lit

//

Politics
Psychology
English Lit
RS

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fatsherry
Morning guys. Struggling to decide on my last option/insurance choice for UCAS. I'm in between Uni of Law and Oxford Brookes. They've got the same requirements. Any help will be appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally I know I ruled out the University of Law because of the financial issues which come with attending a private institutions, which just add to the stress of university, the first paragraph of the attached picture shows this...
So if I was you I'd stick to the traditional institution of the two and apply to Oxford Brooke's as the University of Law is better focussed at professional qualifications rather than undergraduate degrees!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending