The Student Room Group

Law applicants 2015

Hey guys, I want to do law at uni in 2015, I just wondered how many others also want to and what subjects you are doing for a level and which universities you are looking at.
---
Here's the Law Connect/Stalking Page - you'll be able to see other applicants' grades and offers. If you enter your details it will be really helpful for other people applying. :h:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alipx
Hey guys, I want to do law at uni in 2015, I just wondered how many others also want to and what subjects you are doing for a level and which universities you are looking at.

I want to study Law!! i was looking at the likes of oxford and LSE, but i realise thats unrealistic. I was looking at Cardiff, Liverpool, Swansea, Surrey, Sussex and also the University of Law (although im sceptical about them because ive never heard of them before.)
How about you?:smile: where were you looking??
Original post by alipx

If you excel in English, and got an A at gcse, then Manchester could be a good one!!
Original post by alipx

I'm thinking of:
Edinburgh University- Law LLB
Strathclyde University- Law Dual Qualifying LLB
Aberdeen University- Law Dual Qualifying LLB
Dundee University- Law Dual Qualifying LLB
(I'm Scottish) but I may consider either Glasgow University- Law LLB/Business Economics
Or,
An English University- depending on my grades as I really would like to do English Law! What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I want to study Law and Criminology at the University of Leicester in 2015. I find criminal law the most interesting and I would like to learn more about the psychological/sociological reasons behind why people commit crimes!

I've picked some really random A-Levels, I'm doing: Chemistry, Human Biology, History and Law.
I'm almost certain I'm going to fail Chemistry, so I intend to pick up another AS next year. I haven't decided which.
However, I think I'll get good grades in my other three!
Reply 5
My as levels are kind of random too! I'm doing Maths, Chemistry, Law and Media at the moment and I'm looking at Oxford/Cambridge (can't decide which!!) exceter, durham, reading and Cumbria. But I'm also tempted by the university if law because its like in the centre of legal London, but that's a bit too close to home for me I think! Haha
Is it possible to get in with 3 really good A2 grades but 1 terrible AS grade?
Reply 7
Original post by snikutsmullac
Is it possible to get in with 3 really good A2 grades but 1 terrible AS grade?

Yes :smile: they only ask for 3 a levels, they'll look at your AS grades but doing badly in one but well in the others should be fine :smile:
Original post by alipx
Yes :smile: they only ask for 3 a levels, they'll look at your AS grades but doing badly in one but well in the others should be fine :smile:

I can breathe a sigh of relief then.
Reply 9
I do Maths, Chemistry, Economics and Religious Studies.
I'm looking at many universities like KCL, Durham, Warwick, Exeter etc
Hi, some help would be really appreciated please!

One of the universities I'm considering requires me to take the LNAT test. If that's what I have to do, that's what I have to do, fine.
The problem I have is the essay. You are expected to write a 40 minute essay, on completely random topics. What are you supposed to do if on the day, you know next to nothing about the topic of the essay? I've looked at past tests and that's how it seems!
Hi, some help would be really appreciated please!

One of the universities I'm considering requires me to take the LNAT test. If that's what I have to do, that's what I have to do, fine.
The problem I have is the essay. You are expected to write a 40 minute essay, on completely random topics. What are you supposed to do if on the day, you know next to nothing about the topic of the essay? I've looked at past tests and that's how it seems!

Just pick the one you know the most about and do that one. I have been in the habit of reading the news every day for the past couple of years and found this really helped on mine. The LNAT is nothing to worry about, I practiced for a week and came out of it with a 31. Just practice writing essays and comprehension and you will be fine.

In the essay the universities just want to see that you can put together an argument for or against and suitably compare both sides of the topic. They are looking for the ability to do well under pressure, so pick the one you know most about and go from there.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Hodgieman
Just pick the one you know the most about and do that one. I have been in the habit of reading the news every day for the past couple of years and found this really helped on mine. The LNAT is nothing to worry about, I practiced for a week and came out of it with a 31. Just practice writing essays and comprehension and you will be fine.

In the essay the universities just want to see that you can put together an argument for or against and suitably compare both sides of the topic. They are looking for the ability to do well under pressure, so pick the one you know most about and go from there.

What newspapers did you read? My Law teacher said I need to read 'quality newspapers' for my 'concepts of law' question at the end of A2, so I'll just get one of them to read every few days or so.

I'm sure it won't be as bad as it seems. I'm alright at writing essays, it's just a matter of knowing the content but I'll get around that. If you got 31, what is it marked out of?

Also, what university did you take it for and did you get in? :3
What newspapers did you read? My Law teacher said I need to read 'quality newspapers' for my 'concepts of law' question at the end of A2, so I'll just get one of them to read every few days or so.

I'm sure it won't be as bad as it seems. I'm alright at writing essays, it's just a matter of knowing the content but I'll get around that. If you got 31, what is it marked out of?

Also, what university did you take it for and did you get in? :3

The LNAT is marked out of 42 with the average score being 21, anything around that is usually accepted. Above 25 will most likely get you into any of the universities provided you meet the other requirements, grades etc. I only applied to one LNAT university, Durham. And I got in :smile:.
As for specific newspapers I just read whatever I could get my hands on. Mostly I just read the BBC news, they have a wide variety of articles and are good at providing the facts.
Reply 14
Original post by alipx

Heyy! I want to go study law at uni, at the moment i'm studying Economics, Law, Business and English Literature.
At the moment i'm thinking of applying to Newcastle university, University of Lincoln and I am also thinking of applying to The University of Law in London ( But I dont know much about it :s-smilie:)

Anyone know what The University of Law is like?
Original post by Hodgieman
The LNAT is marked out of 42 with the average score being 21, anything around that is usually accepted. Above 25 will most likely get you into any of the universities provided you meet the other requirements, grades etc. I only applied to one LNAT university, Durham. And I got in :smile:.
As for specific newspapers I just read whatever I could get my hands on. Mostly I just read the BBC news, they have a wide variety of articles and are good at providing the facts.

What A-Level grades did you get?
Reply 16
Original post by Alexis96
Heyy! I want to go study law at uni, at the moment i'm studying Economics, Law, Business and English Literature.
At the moment i'm thinking of applying to Newcastle university, University of Lincoln and I am also thinking of applying to The University of Law in London ( But I dont know much about it :s-smilie:)

Anyone know what The University of Law is like?

I don't know much about it either but here is their website I think :smile:
http://www.chooselaw.co.uk/?src=tsrbfmpu

what grades are you hoping for for as and a-level as a whole? :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by alipx
I don't know much about it either but here is their website I think :smile:
http://www.chooselaw.co.uk/?src=tsrbfmpu

what grades are you hoping for for as and a-level as a whole? :smile:

Yeah I have been looking at their site and it says a lot about the course and what we can gain from taking it. But I find it quite difficult to find out what the uni itself is like and if there is a freshers week and if there is whats its like.

I am hoping for ABB, but would be happy to get a bit higher than that thought :biggrin:
Im doing English lit, Business, Law and Economics - not sure witch to droop :s-smilie:
What are you hoping for? :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hopefully I will be applying to study law for 2015 entry. At AS level I have studied: Maths, English (lang and lit), History and Business Studies. Will be dropping Maths next year.

In regards to universities, I have been looking at Birmingham, Liverpool, Warwick, Exeter, Bristol and York. Going to a few open days this summer so I can get a better idea of where I want to study.

Don't think I've seen anyone mention York's course in this thread yet - what do you guys think?
Hey!

I've been looking at Cambridge, Nottingham, Bristol, UCL and i'm undecided on my 5th one. I was going to go with University of Law, but quite a lot of people have told me not to apply if I want to do the Law LLB course. KCL is one that i'm on the fence about!

I currently study English Literature, Geography and Government and Politics.

Quick Reply

Latest