The Student Room Group

Need some advice on uni choices please :)

I've applied to 5 different unis through UCAS and got a conditional offer for all of them ranging from 2 c's - AAB

im stuck between which university I want to go to, either aston (business management - AAB) or northampton (creative writing and business studies - 2 C's)

i know it would make sense for me to apply for aston as my firm choice as the grades are higher etc, but the more I think about it, the more I can't see myself living in Birmingham so far away from my home, whereas northampton I live close to, so can still come home when I want (made the decision I'm staying in halls wherever I go)
Id rather go to northampton as the course is what I want to do and it's close to home etc, but I just feel like I'm settling for a uni that's not very good when I can do better (predicted grades ABB, but whatever)

its made worse from everyone telling me to apply for aston, but I really just don't want to go there, I'm sure I could live with it just fine, but i am scared to go there cause I'm not the most confident or outgoing person

some unbiased advice would be really appreciated thanks :smile::smile:
Original post by magicalwishes
I've applied to 5 different unis through UCAS and got a conditional offer for all of them ranging from 2 c's - AAB

im stuck between which university I want to go to, either aston (business management - AAB) or northampton (creative writing and business studies - 2 C's)

i know it would make sense for me to apply for aston as my firm choice as the grades are higher etc, but the more I think about it, the more I can't see myself living in Birmingham so far away from my home, whereas northampton I live close to, so can still come home when I want (made the decision I'm staying in halls wherever I go)
Id rather go to northampton as the course is what I want to do and it's close to home etc, but I just feel like I'm settling for a uni that's not very good when I can do better (predicted grades ABB, but whatever)

its made worse from everyone telling me to apply for aston, but I really just don't want to go there, I'm sure I could live with it just fine, but i am scared to go there cause I'm not the most confident or outgoing person

Whilst I have to say, hand on heart, that I am no university snob, I don't think the Northampton degree is likely to be a good use of your time or money. That said, it is clear from what you say in your post that you have made up your mind - just look at the bits in bold. What are the other 3 options?
Reply 2
Yeah, I think you're right.. Other three were shefflield (2 courses) and Sheffield Hallam.. But from what I've heard of Sheffield Hallam that's a no no.. And the same applies for Sheffield as it did with birmingham really

Think I made the wrong UCAS choices with the above 3 courses as I didn't really look into it much, Sheffield's a really good uni, but it's hours away from home and I don't like the area that much so I know I wouldn't be happy there.

Thanks for your help though, really appreciate it :smile:
I have to agree that Aston is a much better university than Northampton - and it has a particularly good reputation for business management. You don't say exactly where you live, but it's only an hour on the train between Birmingham and Northampton, which really isn't that far at all. I'm three hours away from home by train (four hours door to door) and I find going home for a weekend entirely doable.

However, if you're really not happy with any of your choices, then you could consider going through Extra / Clearing (NB this would require giving up all your other offers first, so there is a substantial element of risk involved), or taking a gap year and reapplying.
Reply 4
Original post by magicalwishes

I think the highlighted is the real crux of the matter and it's totally understandable, totally normal and a heck of a lot more common than you'd think.

There's this stereotype that all students are beer swilling party animals that are uber confident. NOT TRUE.
I'll use Sheffield as an example not because I think it's the best course because I haven't a clue but my son goes there and lives in halls. He opted to live in a hall where many of the students prefer a quiet life and shares a flat with a lot of like mindeds (they are freshers so didn't know each other initially) who are also quieter less outgoing people. A group of them will be sharing a house next year.

Now if this is true of Sheffield it'll be true of just about everywhere else including Aston. The majority of first years will be feeling just like you :smile:
Just back to chip in my two cents. I think I'd suggest a gap year. To choose a course on the basis that it isn't far from home despite its very real drawbacks in the world of future employment suggests you might not yet be ready to go to university, which is perfectly fine. Take some time to decide what you really want. You can ask Northampton to defer your place for a year if you are reluctant to let it go. I do have to say, though, and it's something I don't think I've ever said on TSR before, that a degree with such a mixed focus, with such low entry requirements and at such a small and unregarded university is a waste of your entitlement to student finance. I'm saying that with both my careers teacher's and my parent's hats on.

By the way, I'm a native of Sheffield and it's a terrific place to live and be a student. I only left because I wanted to get away from home. I'd go back in a heartbeat if I could, but things get complicated once you're an adult.
(edited 10 years ago)
If being away from where you live bothers you that much, then apply to northampton.

But I wish I could of applied of higher, so make sure you don't reject your choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Thanks for everyone's replies!

Yeah i do only live an hour train ride away from birmingham (+20 mins to station ish) so I suppose it isn't too far.
was thinking of taking a gap year myself and will most likely do that, pretty much going to suck though because most of my friends will be away at uni, but things are pretty complicated at home ATM and I think that's why I'm so reluctant to go away and, like many of you have said, pick a course at northamtpon uni simply for its convenience to my home.

Most likely going to pick aston as firm and northampton as insurance now then let my results decide for me.

Thanks for all your opinions guys :smile::smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending