The Student Room Group

Logs

Would my understanding for this question be correct?

Log.gif

Also what is the other method of doing this question? How would we change the base?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by zed963

Log.gif

Also what is the other method of doing this question? How would we change the base?

Yes. You are right.

There is no need for changing the base.
Other method would be that
when you write

1=log331=log13\displaystyle -1=log_3 3^{-1}=log \frac{1}{3}

So

log3(x2)=log313\displaystyle log_3 (x-2)=log_3 \frac{1}{3}

Here we can write down that, tha logarithm function is
strictly monotone , so the equation above means

x2=13\displaystyle x-2= \frac{1}{3}
Original post by zed963
Log.gif

Yes, that is correct!

The basis 3 is given and the logarithm (power) -1 too. The result is asked. If you put x = 2 + 1/3 in the bracket (x - 2), you get 1/3. And 1/3 is the result when 3 is the basis and -1 the logarithm. Great job!
Reply 3
why confuse yourself when you have an easy simple method. it is just a waste of time
Reply 4
Original post by kers123
why confuse yourself when you have an easy simple method. it is just a waste of time

Because confusion is the most intuitive route to understanding. Only if you have once been confused about something can you be sure that, if you ever become confused about it again, it is possible to un-confuse *yourself* without asking someone else.
Reply 5
Original post by Smaug123
Because confusion is the most intuitive route to understanding. Only if you have once been confused about something can you be sure that, if you ever become confused about it again, it is possible to un-confuse *yourself* without asking someone else.

not confusion. it's understands and asking why to your doubts. confusion makes head ache! and maths is something to write and re-write several times to get the answer.
Reply 6
Original post by kers123
not confusion. it's understands and asking why to your doubts. confusion makes head ache! and maths is something to write and re-write several times to get the answer.

Maths is something to jump in and get your feet wet

Having alternative approaches to hand is essential for when you accidentally jump in the deep end
Reply 7
Original post by kers123

I think you're wrong on every count, actually. Understanding is, of course, right; asking why is always right; but I don't think either is enough to lead to remembering. (It used to be, for me, but I've aged and got stupid.) It's all very well to understand something, but if you can't discover it for yourself, then if you ever forget it, it's much harder to re-discover it. Confusion is part of the process of discovery - if I experience confusion over it, and I find a way to beat the confusion, the process stays with me much more than the actual result does. (Obligatory relevant plug: http://www.patrickstevens.co.uk/wordpress/archives/584 )

Maths isn't something to write and re-write. It's something to understand, and understanding comes through discovery. Understanding doesn't come from writing and re-writing - it comes from actually grappling with a problem (possibly making your head ache along the way).
Original post by TenOfThem
Maths is something to jump in and get your feet wet

Having alternative approaches to hand is essential for when you accidentally jump in the deep end

True.

Though this alternate approach seems a bit pointless. But kudos to the OP for asking.
Reply 9
Original post by keromedic
True.

Though this alternate approach seems a bit pointless. But kudos to the OP for asking.

I agree that it seems pointless today whilst he has the easy answer

But if he is in an exam, and the easy answer has hidden itself behind the exam bladder controller, then alternate approaches may help

Not just that but knowing there is an alternate may just remind him of this thread and bring the easy answer bounding out
Reply 10
I think you're wrong on every count, actually. Understanding is, of course, right; asking why is always right; but I don't think either is enough to lead to remembering. (It used to be, for me, but I've aged and got stupid.) It's all very well to understand something, but if you can't discover it for yourself, then if you ever forget it, it's much harder to re-discover it. Confusion is part of the process of discovery - if I experience confusion over it, and I find a way to beat the confusion, the process stays with me much more than the actual result does. (Obligatory relevant plug: http://www.patrickstevens.co.uk/wordpress/archives/584 )

Maths isn't something to write and re-write. It's something to understand, and understanding comes through discovery. Understanding doesn't come from writing and re-writing - it comes from actually grappling with a problem (possibly making your head ache along the way).

maths is more of practise. to understand the questions and try different numerous questions. practise maketh a man perfect.
Original post by kers123
maths is more of practise. to understand the questions and try different numerous questions. practise maketh a man perfect.

No

Understand first
Reply 12
Original post by Wisefire
Correct. I looked at it, said 'yes, I get it, C2's cool' to myself, then looked at somebody's post on a C4 "Parametric equation", and I was like... WTF... Will this A2 stuff genuinely click in my head next year (currently Year 12)...?

Everything's really hard until you understand it. Then it becomes obvious.
Reply 13
Original post by Wisefire
Well, that's re-assuring, if a bit unbelievable at this stage :eek: Cos that's the same story then, with this year's Maths. Indeed, "everything's really hard", till eventually it did all just click later on (this year).

Still, I hope C3 and C4 just won't be as daunting as it's made to seem.

For me, at least, it all just slotted neatly into place alongside all the rest of my knowledge. It was FP1 and 3 where things were sometimes so completely new that I had no intuition about them at all.
Reply 14
Original post by TenOfThem
No

Understand first

this is why you cannot solve any problems and you keep posting doubts on TSR!
Anyway stop quoting me again. Enough!!! No arguements
Why's everyone complaining, you got the right answer, using a method you find to be easy to understand, I say great job :biggrin:
Reply 16
Everything's really hard until you understand it. Then it becomes obvious.

Or as von Neumann said:
"Young man, in mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them. "
Original post by kers123
this is why you cannot solve any problems and you keep posting doubts on TSR!
Anyway stop quoting me again. Enough!!! No arguements

Don't be rude.

She's a very competent teacher.
For me, at least, it all just slotted neatly into place alongside all the rest of my knowledge. It was FP1 and 3 where things were sometimes so completely new that I had no intuition about them at all.

For me, C3 and C4 seem unbelievably easy now that I'm doing Fp1-3. Plus, I'm having a lot of "oh" moments these days. I think I'm actually understanding what I'm learning whereas last year, I suppose I didn't.
Reply 19
Sorry to go a bit off topic but have a burning question. Does anyone have any suggestions of where to look for difficult, A* style questions for C3/C4/M2? I've a few 'Stretch' questions in my M2 book (OUP) but my teacher says they are beyond the scope of questions I will be asked. There aren't any clear A* questions in my C3/4 book (Elmwood Press) either. I am looking at Elmwood/Solomon/Delphis papers btw. Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest