The Student Room Group

Getting/ Giving a number - anyone?

I was in a social setting lack night with lots of people I didn't know although I had two friends with me.

This guy started to talking me and we had decided to sit together for the talk but there were no seats near me so he sat with his friends.

After he sought me out and we were walking about and had found a map so were talking about where we have travelled to.

I asked for his number and he gave it and took mine. He even rang my phone to make sure the one he gave me was right. He also asked about facebook too.

would you just give your phone number to anyone or would you try and change the conversation instead?

I sound lacking in social skills but I kinda think this guy is lovely and wouldn't mind meeting up with him again.
Reply 1
Yeah he's interested tbh, expect a text from him soon :smile:

I'd give my number out to people I liked yea, would change topic if I didnt.
Original post by Zürich
Yeah he's interested tbh, expect a text from him soon :smile:

I'd give my number out to people I liked yea, would change topic if I didnt.

How exactly would you change topic successfully in that situation? :lol:

"Oh hey, can I have your-"

"So, what's your stance on abortion? Pro-life or pro-choice?"

Not exactly very subtle, is it? :rofl:
Reply 3
Original post by WanderingWorrier
How exactly would you change topic successfully in that situation? :lol:

"Oh hey, can I have your-"

"So, what's your stance on abortion? Pro-life or pro-choice?"

Not exactly very subtle, is it? :rofl:

''I dont have a mobile''

Then just eyeball them like this until they GTFO:

In all seriousness I'd probably give my real number and then just ignore.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
I just refuse. Mostly, people dont accept a no with good grace, so after that if they get nasty, I just walk off.

If someone cant respect a 'no' about my phone number what other no's are they going to ignore?

And yes i'm aware that sounds extreme, but it just lacks respect and thats not a trait I want in someone I would be interested in.

(As for you OP, if you like him, go for it) :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
''I dont have a mobile''

Then just eyeball them like this until they GTFO:

In all seriousness I'd probably give my real number and then just ignore.

My excuses are my phone is dead but i am not lying my phone dies after four hours of usage. They then asked for my phone number and i said i dont know it yet because i changed my number yesterday.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Some people just don;t take no for answer..so I usually tell them I'm using my sister's phone at the moment...but then I'll be like you can give me your number and when I get a phone I'll get in touch. That never happens though!
Reply 7
Either ask for their number, so at least if I change my mind I can always get in touch

Or invent some stupid excuse about how I cannot use my phone, and do not have any social media whatsoever. (as I'm billingual I often go for the "my number is french/english sorry!" (depending on the country)

or just I give a fake one, turn off my signal so if they "call" it won't go through

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending