The Student Room Group

Cold

Anyone knows here any really effective medicine to get rid off cold? Today is only 2nd day since I have cold (blocked nose, headache, sore throat, loss of appetite). The thing is, I work in warehouse where the temperature is 0 which only could make things worse. I'm already dressed us warmer as possible.
Well, there's no cure, as I'm sure you know. Take 2 x paracetamol and 2 x ibuprofen every 4 hours and buy one of those vicks nasal sticks that you can keep in your pocket to sniff. Also if you feel THAT bad, it might be worth taking a day off work - you'll probably recover quicker, especially if you work in that type of environment. I know people are wary of taking time off for colds, but you'll have a shorter recovery time and will be more productive once you go back, and you won't spread it to your colleagues.
Original post by ForgetMe
Anyone knows here any really effective medicine to get rid off cold? Today is only 2nd day since I have cold (blocked nose, headache, sore throat, loss of appetite). The thing is, I work in warehouse where the temperature is 0 which only could make things worse. I'm already dressed us warmer as possible.

Drink honey and lemon tea. It really helps with a sore throat I can promise you.

Hot/warm water (not boiling), with the juice of one lemon (use fresh lemons as they are better) and a tablespoon of honey. Mix together in a mug and drink slowly. The idea is to let the throat be coated with the drink (its not a viscous drink though).

For the blocked nose do steam inhalation. Use a teaspoon of vicks, add to boiling water in a pan. Then cover your hair with a towel, bend over the pan and inhale slowly. The vicks is very useful.

Drink loads of hot drinks during the day and avoid sugary foods/drinks and cold foods/drinks as they will make your throat worse.

Take some vitamin c tablets, excellent for boosting your immune system and some paracetamol. Ecinacea tablets are very good for colds too.

All this advice is based on past experience of suffering from colds!

Hope you get better mate
Reply 3
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Well, there's no cure, as I'm sure you know. Take 2 x paracetamol and 2 x ibuprofen every 4 hours and buy one of those vicks nasal sticks that you can keep in your pocket to sniff. Also if you feel THAT bad, it might be worth taking a day off work - you'll probably recover quicker, especially if you work in that type of environment. I know people are wary of taking time off for colds, but you'll have a shorter recovery time and will be more productive once you go back, and you won't spread it to your colleagues.

Many people already been rubbing their noses :tongue: Way before I started to rub mine :teehee:

Original post by James A
Drink honey and lemon tea. It really helps with a sore throat I can promise you.

Hot/warm water (not boiling), with the juice of one lemon (use fresh lemons as they are better) and a tablespoon of honey. Mix together in a mug and drink slowly. The idea is to let the throat be coated with the drink (its not a viscous drink though).

For the blocked nose do steam inhalation. Use a teaspoon of vicks, add to boiling water in a pan. Then cover your hair with a towel, bend over the pan and inhale slowly. The vicks is very useful.

Drink loads of hot drinks during the day and avoid sugary foods/drinks and cold foods/drinks as they will make your throat worse.

Take some vitamin c tablets, excellent for boosting your immune system and some paracetamol. Ecinacea tablets are very good for colds too.

All this advice is based on past experience of suffering from colds!

Hope you get better mate

James :sexface: Thanks, I'll try some of those at home, at work I can't really do much :tongue:

Quick Reply