The Student Room Group

Chances of getting a training contract or vac scheme?

how competitive is it?
(edited 9 years ago)
bump
Reply 2
Your academics are fine, but right now you're just another 'run of the mill' applicant'.

Try and do something interesting and different over the summer. Having been to quite a few interviews, the importance of having interesting responses to all those dull competencies is key.
Reply 3
What are those ECs? At interview I often found myself nodding along as people said they did X reasonably academic degree at Y RG uni but then thought '**** that's impressive' when they mentioned ECs. But yeah you're a good candidate.
how long is a piece of string?

will also come down to your module results - what are they?

lots of firms won't like that you haven't done a vac scheme at a city firm.

i think low chance of tc at this stage. as above poster said, what ecs?

i agree with liarpoker - you're not bad, this isn't a reflection on you. You're a very intelligent person, you've achieved. You just don't stand out and i think your chances whilst they exist, are slim.

hr have 1000 applications. it's a lottery. just getting to interview stage...will be impossible if you don't have something really to differentiate you. The way you write your answers is also important. This is just application stage stuff.
Original post by Le Nombre
What are those ECs? At interview I often found myself nodding along as people said they did X reasonably academic degree at Y RG uni but then thought '**** that's impressive' when they mentioned ECs. But yeah you're a good candidate.

Original post by TheOneTrueEvian
how long is a piece of string?

will also come down to your module results - what are they?

lots of firms won't like that you haven't done a vac scheme at a city firm.

i think low chance of tc at this stage. as above poster said, what ecs?

i agree with liarpoker - you're not bad, this isn't a reflection on you. You're a very intelligent person, you've achieved. You just don't stand out and i think your chances whilst they exist, are slim.

hr have 1000 applications. it's a lottery. just getting to interview stage...will be impossible if you don't have something really to differentiate you. The way you write your answers is also important. This is just application stage stuff.

thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by adamsmithqm
My bad. ABB at A-level not AAB. Will this be a massive difference?

What sort of firm? American basically out the window, MC/SC you'd need to be very persuasive/orally pleasure a HR bod, smaller City and large regional vary both in whether it's ABB and if AAB how strictly they enforce it. Plenty of West End firms and smaller regional ones won't have any, though they may be more inclined to look for paralegals rather tham fresh off of campus kids.
Original post by Le Nombre
What sort of firm? American basically out the window, MC/SC you'd need to be very persuasive/orally pleasure a HR bod, smaller City and large regional vary both in whether it's ABB and if AAB how strictly they enforce it. Plenty of West End firms and smaller regional ones won't have any, though they may be more inclined to look for paralegals rather tham fresh off of campus kids.

Hopefully a London firm. Medium to large sized. Such as DLA PIPER, Eversheds, Reed Smith, Addleshaw.

Would you consider my academics to be good enough for those firms>

Thanks for the reply :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by adamsmithqm
Hopefully a London firm. Medium to large sized. Such as DLA PIPER, Eversheds, Reed Smith, Addleshaw.

Would you consider my academics to be good enough for those firms>

Thanks for the reply :smile:

I imagine they'd be either/or on ABB/AAB check the websites. If you get a good, consistent 2.1 and hit the UCAS filter then yes. Make sure to VS at DLA or the shed first though, for your own sake.
Hi! I'm currently a finalist at Warwick University. I study English and a couple of weeks ago I applied for the GDL at BPP university and Col.of Law in Birmingham. The thing is although I'm committed to pursuing a career in law (I want to become a solicitor rather than a barrister) I'm feeling quite nervous about my prospects in securing Vac schemes or Training Contracts next year. This has largely to do with my academic qualifications; I got 4A*s 3As 2Bs at GCSE and one 2:2 in my second year. I'm still on track on getting a 2:1 overall and gained 3As in my A Level. I know that a lot of firms place an importance on a consistent academic record, but do you think that I still stand a chance in getting a TC at a good firm? I certainly realise that Magic Circle firms are completely beyond my reach but would I stand a change at Silver Circle firms or other mid-sized firms?

In addition, I also have little legal experience. I'm planning on volunteering for CAB over the summer and my friend offered work experience with some relatives who are lawyers, but I'm considering that it might be better to take a year out between my undergraduate degree and GDL to gain more experience?

I realise that these types of queries literally saturate these boards but I would really love some honest opinions about my future prospects.

Thank you for reading!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending