The Student Room Group

Closed off too many "doors" with this A Level combination?

Hi guys, just looking for a second opinion on my A Level subjects.

I ended up choosing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing which I thought was a good combination up until a few weeks ago when one of my teachers told me that I'd end up closing up a lot of opportunities with this combination and that I should re-consider.

I really haven't got a degree or even ideal job in mind so I guess I really shouldn't run the risk of narrowing down my options too far. I chose those four A Levels because I believe I'll perform best at them and there are really no other A Levels that I've considered (yet).

I'm not looking for an answer on what I should do, just looking for opinions so that I can make a supported decision :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by rich1334

I ended up choosing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing which I thought was a good combination up until a few weeks ago when one of my teachers told me that I'd end up closing up a lot of opportunities with this combination and that I should re-consider.

I really haven't got a degree or even ideal job in mind so I guess I really shouldn't run the risk of narrowing down my options too far. I chose those four A Levels because I believe I'll perform best at them and there are really no other A Levels that I've considered (yet).

I'm not looking for an answer on what I should do, just looking for opinions so that I can make a supported decision :smile:

Nah. They're good. Lots of stuff like Natural sciences, maths, economics, law, geophysics, engineering are still open.
I also couldn't decide which A-levels to choose. The initial question you need to ask yourself is do you enjoy these subjects. Whether or not you're good at them at GCSE shouldn't dominate your decision because they will probably be much more difficult and as long as you do like the subjects this won't matter. Also if you like these subjects they will lead to careers that you should enjoy anyway so it won't matter if they close other doors.
However overall these are 'hard' A-levels and will be highly regarded by a lot of universities if you take a relevant course and will keep a lot of job opportunities open.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3

I ended up choosing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing

Hey those are basically what I'm taking too (Minus the computing).
There are quite a lot of uni courses that aren't closed off for just those subjects, don't worry man:cool:
Reply 4
There are lots of degree courses that follow on from these choices and most of them lead to good job prospects. It's actually really good to do subjects that are really similar because it looks like you've been really focused in your goals (even if you haven't).
Reply 5
If those are the subjects you think you will perform best at, then someone is telling you something. Look for degrees that like those subjects - either computer science or engineering look like good fits. If those subjects are already where your talents lie, then hopefully one of the branches of engineering will really float your boat. Southampton does a lot of engineering courses, you could get on to their website and have a read about the various branches:
http://www.southampton.ac.uk/engineering/undergraduate/index.page?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
I actually think those options open up a lot of doors for you. Subjects like natural sciences and maths are applicable to many degrees and universities prefer those subjects.
Ignore the teacher.
You've picked subjects which you like- that's the most important thing!
If you enjoy them, you'll find a path within those which you'll enjoy too.
When it comes to decisions like this, take people's advice on board but do what's right for you.
Reply 8
Thanks for the responses so far.

I really enjoy Maths and have done since starting secondary school, it really is where I believe I am naturally talented hence choosing Maths and Further. I was having second thoughts with Further as I'm just picturing a really small class size which isn't an environment I'd excel as well in (I'm a bit weird where I prefer to have less contact time/help and more self-reliance when it comes to working out/discovering things).

I did enjoy a majority of the Physics GCSE course however having a fairly poor teacher and more recently horrid attempts at revision sessions (I much prefer following my own plans rather than being given sheets to revise from) I've started to dread turning up to lessons.

As for Computing, I've always been seen behind a computer screen and so when the chance finally arose to formally learn the ins and outs of computer systems/programming (self-teaching programming with no goals/targets wasn't great) I immediately decided to take it.
Reply 9
I'm doing the exact same choices next year as you, and I've been told by Connexions that I should reconsider :frown: I'm taking the viewpoint that it's my choice, my subjects that I've chosen for a reason, and that they are limiting in a wider way, but they get you far into CompSci/Engineering/Pure Sciences/Pure Math etc. If I want to change in September, that's fair enough, but I doubt I will. Hope I helped, even marginally :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10

I'm taking that exact combo, and want to do CompSci. Don't worry to much, since engineering, physics and finance are still more or less open.
Reply 11
With mathematics, you've opened plenty of doors; you needn't worry.

Choose the A levels you enjoy most, and very little can go wrong. You actually have plenty of doors open - economics, maths, physics, computer science, natsci to name just a few. Okay, so you can't exactly go and study humanities with your subjects, but if that's not something that appeals to you, there's no point choosing A levels that lead in that direction! As long as you genuinely enjoy your subjects, you'll be fine.
Reply 13
your teacher is clearly a mug
Reply 14
Your teacher is an idiot, I do the same combination but with Chemistry instead of Computing

I could apply for CS, Maths, Physics, Natural Sciences, any engineering (bar Bioengineering), Economics, Finance, Accountancy.. the list goes on!!

Quick Reply

Latest