The Student Room Group

Good A level choice?

Hi, I would ultimately like to apply to Oxford or Cambridge with the hope to study French and Spanish. My A level choices are;

French

Spanish

Maths

Classical Civilisation

I would study these subjects at AS and drop maths at A2. What do you think? I have the possibility of getting my full Maths A level next year but would that distract me from spending more time on languages with the end result being the university not recognising it as anything great as Maths isn't related at all to anything i want to do?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by random647
Hi, I would ultimately like to apply to Oxford or Cambridge with the hope to study French and Spanish. My A level choices are;

French

Spanish

Maths

Classical Civilisation

I would study these subjects at AS and drop maths at A2. What do you think? I have the possibility of getting my full Maths A level next year but would that distract me from spending more time on languages with the end result being the university not recognising it as anything great as Maths isn't related at all to anything i want to do?

Thanks

Hey :smile:
My best friend wants to study French and Spanish at Cambridge and she's doing the same subjects as you except economics instead of maths. Oxbridge want to see a commitment for languages but obviously that isn't everything! If you feel continuing all 4 to A2 will stop you from getting a* a a at a level then drop maths but I think it's something to decide on closer to the time tbh. Good luck for getting in and I hope I've helped - that's a fine subject combo don't worry!! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Grabbitar
Hey :smile:
My best friend wants to study French and Spanish at Cambridge and she's doing the same subjects as you except economics instead of maths. Oxbridge want to see a commitment for languages but obviously that isn't everything! If you feel continuing all 4 to A2 will stop you from getting a* a a at a level then drop maths but I think it's something to decide on closer to the time tbh. Good luck for getting in and I hope I've helped - that's a fine subject combo don't worry!! :smile:

thanks! i still think i would be able to get 4 A* at a level and continue them but am thinking if i dropped maths at a2 then i would be able to focus so much more on languages, but i guess as you said wait and see, thanks! and tell your friend good luck:smile:
Reply 3
They're good. Someone got a Cambridge offer for Languages with History, Classic, Maths and French so i imagine you will be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest