The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

does anyone know what how the mark allocation for a 14 mark essay differ to a 12 mark? how much KAA/Eval?
Reply 41
Original post by gabriellakenton
does anyone know what how the mark allocation for a 14 mark essay differ to a 12 mark? how much KAA/Eval?

I don't think they do 12 markers in unit 1 anymore. I think the last time they put a 12 marker in was in the June 2009 paper, however it could come up!

KAA is worth 6 marks, so make 3 points, each worth 2 marks. And the rest of the 6 marks are allocated for evaluation so make 3 evaluation points, each worth 2 marks.

By the way, did you receive my PM? :smile:
Ah, so I was stressing over nothing! I was just doing Q9 from Jan 09 and was getting a little confused :tongue:
But if its' an externality question would KAA be 8 as U1 Eval is usually only 1/3?

Yeah I did thanks! Have the books at home but ordered the one for unit 3 :smile:
Reply 43
Ah, so I was stressing over nothing! I was just doing Q9 from Jan 09 and was getting a little confused :tongue:
But if its' an externality question would KAA be 8 as U1 Eval is usually only 1/3?

Yeah I did thanks! Have the books at home but ordered the one for unit 3 :smile:

You would never get a 12 mark externalities question, only a 14 marker. So 8 marks are allocated for KAA and 6 marks for evaluation.

Ah ok, good to hear! :smile:
Finally getting decent marks for the longer essay questions! Thanks so much :smile:
Reply 45
Finally getting decent marks for the longer essay questions! Thanks so much :smile:

Haha, aww thats great to hear! No worries x
Reply 46
Thankful there's a thread like this, had to search for it! But jheeze both Unit 1 and 2 are big obstacles for me, I haven't even started up on the past papers..

Multiples on unit 1 and 4 markers are in unit 2 are the easiest marks..
But I don't even know how I'm gonna do Section B and Unit 2 - 30 markers.
Remembering causes and benefits for every single topics are so hard. Any effective ways of remembering them? Let alone...those definitions..
I'm gonna research looking through past papers and see which questions re likely to come up muhahahaha..

Posted from TSR Mobile
OMG this is an amazing thread and looking through the answers have helped!
The multiple choice questions are soo easy but they can be so tricky which is annoying.

I wanted to ask a question about Market Failure. I don't really get the whole idea of it and it is a bit confusing, if someone could explain it would help.
Original post by GeorgeAndLennie
OMG this is an amazing thread and looking through the answers have helped!
The multiple choice questions are soo easy but they can be so tricky which is annoying.

I wanted to ask a question about Market Failure. I don't really get the whole idea of it and it is a bit confusing, if someone could explain it would help.

Market failure is just a miss allocation of resources A prime example of this is higher education. The market equilibrium I where consumption of university education should be and the amount provided should be equal to this. But instead it is often under consumed leading to excess supply. This is a miss allocation of resources.

Do you understand now ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ohhh thank you that helps!

So definition of these 3 would be as followed:

Market failure: "Misallocation of resources?"
Free market: "Is when the price mechanism causes a misallocation of resources?"

And how would you define the price mechanism if you have to?
Could anyone explain how income tax & benefits andtrade unions influence the supply of labour?

Also minimum pricing schemes? Thanks in advance!
Original post by GeorgeAndLennie
Ohhh thank you that helps!

So definition of these 3 would be as followed:

Market failure: "Misallocation of resources?"
Free market: "Is when the price mechanism causes a misallocation of resources?"

And how would you define the price mechanism if you have to?

The price mechanism is how price influences supply and demand

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have any notes on the buffer stock scheme and wants the explain the diagram apparently my teacher taught me the wrong one

Posted from TSR Mobile
You will not be required to define the price mechanism in the exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
Swaany could you please go over the mark allocation for each format of questions in the exam for unit 1 and unit 2. So from 4 marks to 14marks questions relating to of how KAA and evaluation is awarded, thanks in advance.

edit: I'm referring to data response in second part of unit 1 and for unit 2 paper.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Abel Demoz
You will not be required to define the price mechanism in the exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you 100% sure???
So only know definitions for the free market and market failure then?
would you be able to post your u1 notes on here? im really struggling with revision :frown:
Original post by moggington
My revision notes are complete for U1, do you want me to send them over on PM? Send me a message if you'd like them and I'll scan them for you.

would you be able to post your u1 notes on here? im really struggling with revision
Reply 58
Original post by matthewu
Swaany could you please go over the mark allocation for each format of questions in the exam for unit 1 and unit 2. So from 4 marks to 14marks questions relating to of how KAA and evaluation is awarded, thanks in advance.

edit: I'm referring to data response in second part of unit 1 and for unit 2 paper.

Unit 1 Section B exam structure: Each point is worth 2 marks.

6 mark: If it's on supply and demand then the diagram is worth 3 marks, 2 marks for explanation and 1 mark for application.

If it is an elasticity question then KAA is worth 6 marks and evaluation 2 marks, therefore define price elastic/ inelastic (depending on the question) worth 2 marks; 2 points, and then one evaluation point.

8 mark: KAA worth 6 marks, evaluation worth 2 marks.

10 mark: KAA worth 6 marks, evaluation worth 4 marks.

12 mark: KAA worth 8 marks, evaluation worth 4 marks.

14 mark: There are 2 types of 14 markers. Either a pricing question e.g. externalities, minimum pricing, buffer stock, minimum wage etc, that has a diagram; or a 14 marker without a diagram.

For a pricing question: KAA worth 8 marks (4 marks for the diagram and make 2 points with examples relating to the diagram), and evaluation worth 6 marks so make 3 points.

For the 14 marker without the diagram question: KAA worth 8 marks therefore make 4 points, and evaluation worth 6 marks therefore make 3 points.

On the first page of this thread (I think), I have posted a model question and answer for both types of 14 markers - check it out :smile:

I will post the unit 2 structure on the unit 2 thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2644089
If anyone wants notes just say! Found some online (so not completely mine) but edited it a bit and added my own definitions to make it less confusing :smile:

Latest