The Student Room Group

Triplet code

Can anybody explain to me the triplet code for Biology as ? I don't get it
Original post by rayam dunya

The triplet code is the 3 digit code that makes up/codes for a specific amino acid or a stop codon! It is a degenerate code meaning that one triplet code could code for two or three amino acids and so therefore if one code is changed in a mutation, it might be a neutral mutation as the triplet code its mutated to might code for the same amino acid. For example UAG codes for a stop codon and say AUU codes for an specific amino acid ( eg: lysine, methionine etccc)
The triplet codes are then translated into amino acids which are brought to the ribosome by tRNA which is when the protein is made in protein synthesis!

Hope this helps :smile:

If you understand genetics by any chance i could really use some help on that!!?

:smile: xo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rayam dunya

Basically you have amino acids - which make proteins.

Our DNA tells us which order these amino acids will be in, in order to make the protein.

The DNA contains the nucleotide bases guanine, cytosine, thymine and adenine.

Three of these consecutive bases will code for a single amino acid in the protein, thus it is called the triplet code.

It is a universal code to most organisms. :smile:

Hope this helps.
Original post by Tilly-Elizabeth
Basically you have amino acids - which make proteins.

Our DNA tells us which order these amino acids will be in, in order to make the protein.

The DNA contains the nucleotide bases guanine, cytosine, thymine and adenine.

Three of these consecutive bases will code for a single amino acid in the protein, thus it is called the triplet code.

It is a universal code to most organisms. :smile:

Hope this helps.

Are you any good with genetics and the diagrams and that stuff
? :colondollar:
:colondollar::colondollar::colondollar::colondollar:
Original post by annabel_gb

Yeah I'm ok with that stuff. What do you need help with? :h:
The triplet code is the 3 digit code that makes up/codes for a specific amino acid or a stop codon! It is a degenerate code meaning that one triplet code could code for two or three amino acids and so therefore if one code is changed in a mutation, it might be a neutral mutation as the triplet code its mutated to might code for the same amino acid. For example UAG codes for a stop codon and say AUU codes for an specific amino acid ( eg: lysine, methionine etccc)
The triplet codes are then translated into amino acids which are brought to the ribosome by tRNA which is when the protein is made in protein synthesis!

Hope this helps :smile:

If you understand genetics by any chance i could really use some help on that!!?

:smile: xo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good post, I'd say, especially that point about neutral mutation.
Btw, what do you need help with in genetics?
Original post by Dynamo123
Good post, I'd say, especially that point about neutral mutation.
Btw, what do you need help with in genetics?

haha aw thankyouuu :smile::tongue:

okay so i dont get the genetic diagrams and how to work out phenotype ratios and to do cross squares to explain certain values of offspring in an F1 generation? also i dont understand where and how you would use codominance in crossing squares!

sorry i know thats a lot....i basically struggle with the whole thing but those are the worst; genetic diagrams!! thankyou so much in advance if you can help!!!
Yeah I'm ok with that stuff. What do you need help with? :h:

FABBB! okay ive written it to the other person aswell so if you can both help, that would be great! just read my post above! thankyou so much! :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
haha aw thankyouuu :smile::tongue:

okay so i dont get the genetic diagrams and how to work out phenotype ratios and to do cross squares to explain certain values of offspring in an F1 generation? also i dont understand where and how you would use codominance in crossing squares!

sorry i know thats a lot....i basically struggle with the whole thing but those are the worst; genetic diagrams!! thankyou so much in advance if you can help!!!

Basically say you have two red heterozygous flowers, with white as a the recessive colour. This means you have to plants with the genotype Rr (R=Red, r=White)

I've written it out for you here:

IMG_5902.jpg

Is this what you need help with or have I gone completely down the wrong track. :colondollar:

FYI I made an error that I only just noticed. Rather than Rr being spotted it should be pink. Sorry! hope that hasn't confused you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Basically say you have two red heterozygous flowers, with white as a the recessive colour. This means you have to plants with the genotype Rr (R=Red, r=White)

I've written it out for you here:

IMG_5902.jpg

Is this what you need help with or have I gone completely down the wrong track. :colondollar:

FYI I made an error that I only just noticed. Rather than Rr being spotted it should be pink. Sorry! hope that hasn't confused you.

Thankyou so much!!!!!!!!!!!

okay so codominace is the one where both alleles will contribute to it whereas the one you did above; the phenotype is only controlled by the dominant allele...is that right?

how do you predict phenotypic ratios and use them to solve problems invovling epistasis?

:biggrin:
:h:
Thankyou so much!!!!!!!!!!!

okay so codominace is the one where both alleles will contribute to it whereas the one you did above; the phenotype is only controlled by the dominant allele...is that right?

how do you predict phenotypic ratios and use them to solve problems invovling epistasis?

:biggrin:
:h:

No problem :smile:

Basically codominance is where they have equal dominance - so white and red both have the same dominance, so when both are present in the genotype, then they both must be present in the phenotype as well.

This could be a blend of the two (which is called incomplete dominance) or it could be where the animal has spots or patches of both colours.

So both of the alleles contribute to the phenotype.

-----

I'm sorry I've never done epistasis. I kind of know what it is but I don't know how to predict the phenotypic ratios. Sorry!

The other person might be able to help you there! :smile:

Hey :smile:

Watch this, it might help :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bmeE_ohA4c
Reply 12
thank youuu ,I get it now its just my Nelson Thornes AQA book that made it quiet confusing
No problem :smile:

Basically codominance is where they have equal dominance - so white and red both have the same dominance, so when both are present in the genotype, then they both must be present in the phenotype as well.

This could be a blend of the two (which is called incomplete dominance) or it could be where the animal has spots or patches of both colours.

So both of the alleles contribute to the phenotype.

-----

I'm sorry I've never done epistasis. I kind of know what it is but I don't know how to predict the phenotypic ratios. Sorry!

The other person might be able to help you there! :smile:

Thankyou so much you've been a wonderful help!
:smile: xoxo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Munrot07
Hey :smile:

Watch this, it might help :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bmeE_ohA4c

THIS was FAB. Thankyouu so much i think i get it alot better now! Thankyou so so much! Been a great help! Xoxo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply