The Student Room Group

Bus vs Tube (Transportation within London)

Poll

Which one do you use the most to travel within London?

Which one do you prefer to use? (and why)

(Reason could be in terms of: convenience, speed, price, health, etc)
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Tube. Less hassle to get on than busses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends where you are. As a student I preferred the bus because it was cheaper and there was more to see as well as less walking, but now I get the tube more.

In town, in order to get to somewhere else in town, my preferences are walk, bus, tube in that order. Getting out of town, it depends. Camden, Paddington and co, ie places only just outside Central London are okay on a bus. Places like Finsbury Park, Clapham are too far.
I've only ever got the bus in London when the tube hasn't been running late at night. I get the tube out of convenience because it tends to be quicker.
Reply 4
As said above it depends, I've had terrible experiences on both bus and train. As a matter of convenience at the moment everything being pretty near bus is best at the moment. Especially with recent engineering works and strikes on the tube.
However not all bad I have had many pleasant journeys on public transport.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends where i am going really and how far away it is. Mostly i prefer to take the bus as is cheaper and i can look out of the window haha :h:
Reply 6
Tube, its much quicker, easier to work out a route to a destination with the map and dont have to deal with drivers that appear to hate you purely because of your age and educational status.

On the other hand, least you get phone signal on a bus, and dont sweat like a horse in a glue factory during summer.
Reply 7
I have to get the bus to get to the tube from where I live but in all honesty most of the time I prefer the tube. It's more frequent, it doesnt get held up in traffic and it doesn't take twice as long when lots of people want to get on and off- your already expecting it to have to stop at every stop.
Tube on the basis that I know the tube routes - much more easily available than bus routes. Would have to specifically look up bus routes, which would take ages!
Reply 9
Tube. I live pretty far east so to get to central London it would take me about 4 buses and lord knows how long. Tube is much quicker and more convenient, cheaper for me too.
Reply 10
Original post by Spairos
Which one do you prefer to use? (and why)

(Reason could be in terms of: convenience, speed, price, health, etc)

Tube

+ Quicker

- Expensive, noisy, everything is dark outside the window, it is often crammed

Bus

+ Cheaper, you get to see London outside the window

- Slower, sometimes it is as crammed as the tube, teens can be noisy
I live in Enfield and there isn't exactly a tube station nearby. Nearest ones are Southgate, Oakwood, Tottenham Hale, Turnpike Lane. It takes 25 minutes by bus to get the Turnpike Lane, which is usually where I go for my tube connection.

But the tube is amazing though :coma:
Reply 12
Tubes are fun but they smell petroly : /
Tube. Quicker to get around
Original post by kka25
Tubes are fun but they smell petroly : /

It would be dodgy if it did smell of petrol!
I can't describe how much I hate ****ing buses.

So even though i don't live in London the tube it is.
Reply 16
Original post by Alex17595
It would be dodgy if it did smell of petrol!

Well. It does from my experience :pinch:
Original post by James A
I live in Enfield and there isn't exactly a tube station nearby. Nearest ones are Southgate, Oakwood, Tottenham Hale, Turnpike Lane. It takes 25 minutes by bus to get the Turnpike Lane, which is usually where I go for my tube connection.

But the tube is amazing though :coma:

Hmm. 329, 217, any more going that way from Turnpike Lane?

I have family in Enfield and have used both buses many a time :biggrin:
Original post by rockrunride
Hmm. 329, 217, any more going that way from Turnpike Lane?

I have family in Enfield and have used both buses many a time :biggrin:

I prefer to go via the 217 route as I live in bush hill park and the 217 is right outside my estate!

I have taken the 217/231 like a thousand times because I used the route since I was 11 lol!
Reply 19
The Tube. It's faster, reliable )(besides the fricking District Line that gave me so much **** today :colonhash:) And it's not that expensive for me because I linked my oyster with my railcard :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest