The Student Room Group

EMI

cylinder.png
Is this correct?
What is it meant to be?
Reply 2
Original post by Stonebridge
What is it meant to be?

Im trying to find the emf induced in the copper tube.
By dropping a magnet through the tube.
Would this be the right way to do it?
Finding the dFlux cut in dt?
Original post by Zenarthra
Im trying to find the emf induced in the copper tube.
By dropping a magnet through the tube.
Would this be the right way to do it?
Finding the dFlux cut in dt?

I don't think this is the way to do this.
Flux = BA
Do you know B and the area, A?
What question are you trying to answer?
Reply 4
I don't think this is the way to do this.
Flux = BA
Do you know B and the area, A?
What question are you trying to answer?

Im not answering any question, its just 1 that i made up.
How would i find the emf induced for a setup like this?
If im given B would the area just be pi.r^2?

Thanks!
Original post by Zenarthra
Im not answering any question, its just 1 that i made up.
How would i find the emf induced for a setup like this?
If im given B would the area just be pi.r^2?

Thanks!

You can't really do it this way for a long cylinder. The current will move in eddies in the body of the metal. The induced emf equations relate to wires or coils of wire. The area is that which links the flux. That is, the flux either passes through the area or the wires of the coil cut through lines of flux. In your diagram that isn't happening. You have no coil and no wires. There will be induced currents in the metal but they will be eddy current and not calculable using the standard EM induction equations.
I suggest keeping to exam questions rather than making up your own!
The setup you have described looks to me a bit like the standard lab experiment to demonstrate eddy currents and the damping effect they produce.
Reply 6
You can't really do it this way for a long cylinder. The current will move in eddies in the body of the metal. The induced emf equations relate to wires or coils of wire. The area is that which links the flux. That is, the flux either passes through the area or the wires of the coil cut through lines of flux. In your diagram that isn't happening. You have no coil and no wires. There will be induced currents in the metal but they will be eddy current and not calculable using the standard EM induction equations.
The setup you have described looks to me a bit like the standard lab experiment to demonstrate eddy currents and the damping effect they produce.

Ahh ok thank you! :biggrin:
I guess i should stick to exam questions. :smile:
It was just for understanding purposes! :tongue:

Thanks!
Reply 7

Talking about exam questions xD
Mind taking alook at this thread for me please:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2644138&p=47059349#post47059349

I dont really understand what its asking.

Quick Reply

Latest