The Student Room Group

Applied Business - Unit 3 - 19th May 2014 - REVISION

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
No problem. Fortunately for us our teachers went over every topic thoroughly and created a student workbook (mock exam paper)
110% that something with budgeting will come up. Can anyone tell me what a budget/why it's used and adv. and disadv. of it pretty please thanks in advance ladies and lads
Hey! I was just wondering that because you get the website www.cormarcarpets.co.uk, obviously about Comar Carpets (Hebden Carpets major UK rivals), what kind of information do you think we will be asked to use from this website in this exam and in what kind of way?
This is really helpful, thanks guys!
What if for question (a) they ask us to write the Advantages and disadvantages to two of its stakeholders? :redface: would it be be ok to talk about shareholders and the owner? how would you structure it?
Original post by BusinessGeek
110% that something with budgeting will come up. Can anyone tell me what a budget/why it's used and adv. and disadv. of it pretty please thanks in advance ladies and lads

Hi, this link is really helpful for this exam: http://mrmartin.moonfruit.com/u3-financial-planning/4533295241
if you click on the revision guide it has everything you will need!:smile:
Original post by BusinessGeek

I found this site for budgeting too
http://businesscasestudies.co.uk/business-theory/finance/budgeting-and-cash-flow.html#axzz31X5dqKq9

:smile:
Original post by I Procrastinate
This is really helpful, thanks guys!
What if for question (a) they ask us to write the Advantages and disadvantages to two of its stakeholders? :redface: would it be be ok to talk about shareholders and the owner? how would you structure it?

Shareholders are the owners so the other stakeholders could be the employees (managers and BoD), the suppliers as they'll be getting more demand from Hebden Carpets of they're expanding.

I would talk talk about one stakeholder first with the advantages and disadvantages, then talk about the other stakeholder with the adv and disadv for them. The evaluation and conclusion should compare the two stakeholders but bring in new points (relate to case study the whole way through) that could be potential issues for both maybe. :smile:
Original post by hotchocolate25
Shareholders are the owners so the other stakeholders could be the employees (managers and BoD), the suppliers as they'll be getting more demand from Hebden Carpets of they're expanding.

I would talk talk about one stakeholder first with the advantages and disadvantages, then talk about the other stakeholder with the adv and disadv for them. The evaluation and conclusion should compare the two stakeholders but bring in new points (relate to case study the whole way through) that could be potential issues for both maybe. :smile:

Ah, i meant director and shareholder- i thought they could be separate? :s-smilie:
But yeah that's a good structure and a good point about employees! thanks!
Hi guys, any ideas on how to write a decent conclusion? Also can someone please give me a brief structure for a 4 marker, 6 marker, 7 marker, 10 marker and 16 marker? Cheers
this is going to be soo.. hard 4 monday :frown:... weekend just to revise 4 it :frown:
Reply 30
The last question (16 marker) is most defiantly gonna be on the expansion of Hebden carpets
Reply 31
Anyone know how to do the profit and loss? That's a bit tricky, especially looking through past papers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by dhill07
Anyone know how to do the profit and loss? That's a bit tricky, especially looking through past papers

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have to learn the formula, Google formula for working out profit and loss
Reply 33
All the formulas if anyone is interested . .

Basic
Revenue = quantity sold * average selling price
Profit = revenue - total costs
Total costs = fixed costs + variable costs

Breakeven
Breakeven point = total fixed costs / (selling price - variable cost per unit)
Margin of safety = budgeted sales breakeven sales
Contribution per unit = selling price per unit unit variable costs
Total contribution = contribution per unit * number of items sold

Cash Flow
Total cash inflow = sum of all cash inflows
Total cash outflow = sum of all cash outflows
Net cash flow = total cash inflow - total cash outflow
Closing bank balance = opening bank balance + net cash flow
Opening bank balance = last months closing bank balance, for your first month if not told opening balance assume it's 0
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by 8208asdf
All the formulas if anyone is interested . .

Basic
Revenue = quantity sold * average selling price
Profit = revenue - total costs
Total costs = fixed costs + variable costs

Breakeven
Breakeven point = total fixed costs / (selling price - variable cost per unit)
Margin of safety = budgeted sales breakeven sales
Contribution per unit = selling price per unit unit variable costs
Total contribution = contribution per unit * number of items sold

Cash Flow
Total cash inflow = sum of all cash inflows
Total cash outflow = sum of all cash outflows
Net cash flow = total cash inflow - total cash outflow
Closing bank balance = opening bank balance + net cash flow
Opening bank balance = last months closing bank balance, for your first month if not told opening balance assume it's 0

Thank you, the thing is applying it to the actual question is tricky
Hi guys, im struggling to find actual advantages and disadvantages for the stakeholders?
Original post by 10woodlandlau
Hi guys, im struggling to find actual advantages and disadvantages for the stakeholders?

Well first recap what stakeholders are- they are people who are interested in the business. so they could be: shareholders, employees, competitors, suppliers etc. this image below should help.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=stakeholders&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=aa93U4SKBKag0QXh84DgAw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=667#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=KXPkKaBkQY4tsM%253A%3BgV6i_A3CjhChcM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fupload.wikimedia.org%252Fwikipedia%252Fcommons%252F4%252F4c%252FStakeholder_(en).png%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fen.wikipedia.org%252Fwiki%252FStakeholder_theory%3B677%3B416

a few examples:
advantage-
-shareholders advantage-they are involved in busines e.g they can agree and disagree with plans.
-limited liability
-shareholders advantage- they gets dividents (however they were low on the case study)
Make sure you refer to case study and discuss it.
disadvantage-
-account published
-owner could loose control
i just gave these ideas at the top of my head. There are a lot more which you need to research. have a look at the AQA AS applied business revision book and ask your teacher for help! good luck.
oh and two more.
ad- since its plc they can earn large sum
dis-owner doesn't make all decisions.
Reply 38
Hi, does anyone know how much we have to write for the first question? My teacher says that because it is ten marks, we have to give 10 points fully explained and in context and then make a justified conclusion.

I was practising the ten mark question and trying to write ten points took me 20 minutes, it took two pages and I didn't even justify it! I know you're supposed to spend only 10 minutes on the first question.

How much are you planning on writing? Since we'll be asked advantages and disadvantages, how many are you writing? If it's the question relating to two stakeholders, how many advantages and disadvantages will you write for each?

Many thanks
Reply 39
Original post by noelc
Hi, does anyone know how much we have to write for the first question? My teacher says that because it is ten marks, we have to give 10 points fully explained and in context and then make a justified conclusion.

I was practising the ten mark question and trying to write ten points took me 20 minutes, it took two pages and I didn't even justify it! I know you're supposed to spend only 10 minutes on the first question.

How much are you planning on writing? Since we'll be asked advantages and disadvantages, how many are you writing? If it's the question relating to two stakeholders, how many advantages and disadvantages will you write for each?

Many thanks

10 marks doesn't mean 10 points, your teacher is incorrect or you have misheard them. For the first question which will be on the adv. and disadv. for stakeholders at Hebden you should include about 2 advantages and 2 disadvantages and an evaluation.

Quick Reply

Latest