The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

University of Hull Scarborough campus 2014.

I'm from Leeds and I've got a conditional offer for Scarborough starting September 2014 studying counselling and can't find any people posting about it what so ever. I'm just wondering who's going, studying what and where's everyone thinking of staying?!
I'm really puzzled because I don't think I fancy Cayley halls and everyone that I've seen from previous years isn't favouring one Uni managed house over the other like they have been doing with the Hull main campus halls (because I was considering staying there too)
PLUS I've never been on a night out in Scarborough just wondering what it's like and is it hard to find jobs?! :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm the exact same! I've accepted a place for Working with children, young people and families, I Didn't fancy moving into halls as I didn't like the sound of them, plus I've heard quite a few bad reviews from people I know in Middlesbrough who have stayed in halls. It's the same with the nights out too I have searched google to see if I could find any student nights but only came across one, we have different student nights here in Middlesbrough such as Mixtape which play music such as Kings of Leon and Arctic Monkeys, but the only thing I have came across here is Meltdown and their page hasn't been used in almost a year!
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by KatieDunn94
I'm the exact same! I've accepted a place for Working with children, young people and families, I Didn't fancy moving into halls as I didn't like the sound of them, plus I've heard quite a few bad reviews from people I know in Middlesbrough who have stayed in halls. It's the same with the nights out too I have searched google to see if I could find any student nights but only came across one, we have different student nights here in Middlesbrough such as Mixtape which play music such as Kings of Leon and Arctic Monkeys, but the only thing I have came across here is Meltdown and their page hasn't been used in almost a year!

My sisters applying to do that through extras in hull soon because she didn't get accepted into nursing. I've finally made my decision on where I'm staying and it's gonna be the George. (University managed house) it looks the best and I've heard really good reviews and even for a small bedroom they're decent size! Plus with all the other ones people have mixed reviews. Oh :/ I searched 'night clubs in Scarborough' and nothing hardly came up just bars and pubs because I was going to go on a night out up there to see what it's like. Hopefully people will see this thread because nobody seems to be commenting and everyone in the years before started commenting super early to the threads.
Reply 3
Original post by Rebekahbrett
My sisters applying to do that through extras in hull soon because she didn't get accepted into nursing. I've finally made my decision on where I'm staying and it's gonna be the George. (University managed house) it looks the best and I've heard really good reviews and even for a small bedroom they're decent size! Plus with all the other ones people have mixed reviews. Oh :/ I searched 'night clubs in Scarborough' and nothing hardly came up just bars and pubs because I was going to go on a night out up there to see what it's like. Hopefully people will see this thread because nobody seems to be commenting and everyone in the years before started commenting super early to the threads.

Aye hopefully they will its a few month away yet so plenty of time. Do we even have a freshers! I haven't seen any mention of it! Every other uni seam to have threads about their freshers week but there's nothing for Scarborough, also have you heard anything else back since accepting your choice... I accepted mine a few month back now and had one e-mail that was all. I think I will have to drag a few friends sometime soon just to see what the night life is like, I've only ever been on days out there, so lets hope its not as bad as what people have been saying!
Reply 4
Original post by KatieDunn94
Aye hopefully they will its a few month away yet so plenty of time. Do we even have a freshers! I haven't seen any mention of it! Every other uni seam to have threads about their freshers week but there's nothing for Scarborough, also have you heard anything else back since accepting your choice... I accepted mine a few month back now and had one e-mail that was all. I think I will have to drag a few friends sometime soon just to see what the night life is like, I've only ever been on days out there, so lets hope its not as bad as what people have been saying!

I think it's probably because it's quite a small campus. Pfff, if we don't have freshers, we will make a freshers ourselves! You decided what accomodation youre staying in then? Nah I got a letter with a little chocolate bunny. But I had to do most of the research myself, like we get an email on the 14th May and that's when we have to apply for accomodation. Suppose it'll be first come first serve! Well in all honest, even if it's not a decent night out I'm sure if it's cheap and there's a lot of us we can make it fun! Plus fish and chips and ice cream on a hangover will be amazing! Haha hopefully it's not! It's going to be weird going from leeds where there's loads of nightclubs to hardly any! If not though we can always travel to York or hull? Only an hour away, if that!
Reply 5
Original post by Rebekahbrett
I think it's probably because it's quite a small campus. Pfff, if we don't have freshers, we will make a freshers ourselves! You decided what accomodation youre staying in then? Nah I got a letter with a little chocolate bunny. But I had to do most of the research myself, like we get an email on the 14th May and that's when we have to apply for accomodation. Suppose it'll be first come first serve! Well in all honest, even if it's not a decent night out I'm sure if it's cheap and there's a lot of us we can make it fun! Plus fish and chips and ice cream on a hangover will be amazing! Haha hopefully it's not! It's going to be weird going from leeds where there's loads of nightclubs to hardly any! If not though we can always travel to York or hull? Only an hour away, if that!

Haha yeah that's a must!! Yeah, yeah I've found a little flat on Dean Road it's lovely and there is a couple of second years staying there too so I could probably learn alot from them, I really didn't fancy halls as the rules seamed way to strict. Yeah half of the time it's just finding the right people! I have a feeling i'm going to have to come home once a week for my Mixtape fix if that meltdown isn't running still. See I don't think it will be that bad I'm coming from Middlesbrough and we don't have many decent clubs we only really have 3 that I like the rest are just full of chavs or people who are up themselves! However Fish and chips does sound perfect! Could have probably done with some yesterday!
(edited 10 years ago)
I'll be going into second year at Scarborough and all I can say is that it's amazing! You will seriously love it, the main place to go is Quids, may look **** but it's such a good night out when you're with friends, music is really good and student night is great for cheap drinks from £1. Everyone at the campus is lovely and it's much better in my opinion than a large campus as you get to know a lot of people very quickly. I also didn't fancy halls in first year so went into uni managed at Bradley Court and I'll be living there as a warden this coming year also :smile: message me if you have any questions and I'll try help!
Reply 7
I just think it's rubbish that when you applied for accomodation you didn't get to put a first second and third choice.
I'm really looking forward to it! But I'm glad I've finally heard someone say the night life is okay.
I was speaking to a guy who lives in scarborough when he's not at Uni and he said that the bars are normally better than the night clubs but in general it's really cheap which is good!
Reply 8
ALL JOIN THIS FACEBOOK LINK
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=586405264806737

I created a freshers page on Facebook because we don't have one yet
Anyone who has applied for accommodation at crown terrace and accepts I've made us a group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1461316220775125/

Me and a friend will be wardens in September there so will be good!
I haven't heard anything back from my accomodation yet :frown:
Reply 11
Hi guys, nice to know new people are coming. Will be part of the freshers as i'll be in my first year. Just finished my Foundation Degree in Business at Scarborough campus which was great and ready to meet new people all my friends are moving to main Campus but l like it here, so l decided to stay. Contact me if you need any help
Reply 12
I'm at Scarborough in September also, doing Primary Teaching. Worried about the night life though, also has anyone asked for Bradley Court?

Posted from TSR Mobile
We didn't get to choose which house were in, I'm 20 and my sisters 23 so we've been put in the house on queens street.
Reply 14
Original post by t.mmo
I'm at Scarborough in September also, doing Primary Teaching. Worried about the night life though, also has anyone asked for Bradley Court?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Night life is not that bad, its fun as long as you are with friends, i'll be in Cayley halls in.
Reply 15
Scarborough night life is really good!! I've just left Cayley halls! If you have any questions, ask away:smile:
Hey. I'm just reaching the end of my first year studying Primary Teaching at Scarborough and live in Carlton House. I'm staying in Carlton House next year and a couple of my friends are the wardens. So if you have any questions about the course, town, campus, or anything else just ask and I will answer the best I can. If I don't know I might be able to find out for you.
I made a page for people who will be living in Bradley Court this year. So feel free to join and ask any questions!

https://m.facebook.com/groups/293920850786903?refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2Fgroups%2F293920850786903
I have accomadation in a shared house i work at uni if anyone is interested you can phone or message me on 07456552244
So i've read that Scarborough's 'Freshers Fest' is 11th September...but i'm staying in Cayley Halls this year and I thought we could only move in on the 27th September??
Anyone have anymore info?

Quick Reply

Latest