The Student Room Group

Medicine vs Law

Scroll to see replies

Original post by brownbearxo
Such 'meh' responses right? I feel like they didnt even read her original post fully, just pounced on the 'not fussed' bit...

Exactly. Most normal people have exactly the same attitude whether they are doctors or lawyers. As a doctor or lawyer, you provide advice. You hope people will take your advice - and it is your duty to provide the best advice you can.

If your patient or client doesn't want to listen to you, and they suffer accordingly, it is no one's responsibility to start crying over it. It is a mark of a really poor professional - doctor or lawyer - to be so emotional. As a doctor, you will do your best, but people will die. You can't wear your heart on your sleeve.

Many of these posts reek of bitterness tbh.
Reply 21
I dont think she should do either tbh. But she didnt give us that option lol

Well, I'm glad we agree on that. :rolleyes:

There are already too many GPs who don't give a **** about their patients. We don't need more.
Original post by TheOneTrueEvian
Exactly. Most normal people have exactly the same attitude whether they are doctors or lawyers. As a doctor or lawyer, you provide advice. You hope people will take your advice - and it is your duty to provide the best advice you can.

If your patient or client doesn't want to listen to you, and they suffer accordingly, it is no one's responsibility to start crying over it. It is a mark of a really poor professional - doctor or lawyer - to be so emotional. As a doctor, you will do your best, but people will die. You can't wear your heart on your sleeve.

A few of us are already in medical school and don't have any particular reason to be bitter? It's a tough 5 year course - people drop out at all medical schools because they apply as 'they are not fussed', manage to get in, and then leave. I would rather people made the right decision before getting to this point.

5 years, followed by 2 foundation years = 7 years studying medicine effectively. I do believe you have to be motivated to study for 5, and work another 2 years (and then effectively for the rest of your life!)

And the whole working in the U.S. is not as simple as has been suggested! Sure it's some exams; but it's made to sound rather straight forward and it's not.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Iridescenzo
Well, I'm glad we agree on that. :rolleyes:

There are already too many GPs who don't give a **** about their patients. We don't need more.

Preach! A lazy and uncaring GP almost cause my friend's little cousin to go deaf
UK doctors are highly in demand overseas. Different countries have different requirements. Getting a visa in the US is made much easier if you are a doctor.

You have misrepresented the exams. You are completely exempted from taking a US degree if you are a UK graduate. All you need to do is take rather basic exams which recap fundamental material taken in the UK degree. It is not new knowledge. Upon passing these exams, UK doctors can find jobs.

I didn't misrepresent them. You have to do an exam to enter the US. I cannot be much more clear than that.

Furthermore, they are not basic. If that was the case, then every Tom, Dick and Harry would be able to get a good mark on it. So, you really have no clue about the USMLE or the requirements to get a decent mark on it.
(edited 10 years ago)

I get what you mean.

I also come across loads of doctors that dont seem 'too fussed' or emotional about patients, but they still care enough to take good care of them. They just may not have the best bedside manner. I was assuming the op was that kind of person..

I just dont get why some thought she was immediately suited to law, its not like flipping a coin :s
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Lionheartat20
A few of us are already in medical school and don't have any particular reason to be bitter? It's a tough 5 year course - people drop out at all medical schools because they apply as 'they are not fussed', manage to get in, and then leave. I would rather people made the right decision before getting to this point.

5 years, followed by 2 foundation years = 7 years studying medicine effectively. I do believe you have to be motivated to study for 5, and work another 2 years (and then effectively for the rest of your life!)

And the whole working in the U.S. is not as simple as has been suggested! Sure it's some exams; but it's made to sound rather straight forward and it's not.

Well I think there are some very bitter people on this thread - particularly, if not exclusively, medical students, who, precisely because they have spent years of hard graft (both before and during university), dislike how apparently easily she has stumbled into medicine.

I think this is exemplified by the way you completely misquote "they are not fussed" to make your point. In fact, she never said anything of the sort. She was referring to something very different - not the degree, but in terms of helping patients/clients who refuse to follow reasonable advice. And I have explained above why I think she should be justified to have such feelings.

I know people who have moved across to the states as UK doctors. It's not a walk in the park. But it is relatively a walk in the park compared to law. It is virtually impossible for most people to practice in other jurisdictions without working for an international law firm (and even then it's without choice of location and your odds are very low). I have also explained this.
Reply 27
I get what you mean.

I also come across loads of doctors that dont seem 'too fussed' or emotional about patients, but they still care enough to take good care of them. They just may not have the best bedside manner. I was assuming the op was that kind of person..

I just dont get why everyone thought she was immediately suited to law, its not like flipping a coin :s

It sounds like quite an American mindset.
I could be wrong, but it seems as though someone with good academics, in the American system, is immediately presumed to be an aspiring lawyer or doctor. Either or. At least, that's the impression I get from literature and popular media.
I get what you mean.

I just dont get why everyone thought she was immediately suited to law, its not like flipping a coin :s

People stated that she shouldn't do medicine. That does not mean she should then do law.

If I was her, I would sort my life out first and go to University in 2-3 years.

Medicine is not a subject to take at University when you are not sure what you would like to do and when you are not keen to do it.
Medicine > Law.
Original post by DorianGrayism
People stated that she shouldn't do medicine. That does not mean she should then do law.

If I was her, I would sort my life out first and go to University in 2-3 years.

Medicine is not a subject to take at University when you are not sure what you would like to do and when you are not keen to do it.

I was referring to those who automatically said she should do law, clearly.

It sounds like quite an American mindset.
I could be wrong, but it seems as though someone with good academics, in the American system, is immediately presumed to be an aspiring lawyer or doctor. Either or. At least, that's the impression I get from literature and popular media.

Reminds me of my grandma. If youre not a lawyer or doctor, what are you?! :biggrin:

That is why you also stated everyone.
Reply 32
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Medicine > Law.

And on what, exactly, do you gauge such a claim?
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Medicine > Law.

Maybe, i think she needs more thinking time tbh considering she is having a baby soon
That is why you also stated everyone.

Ill change that if it makes you feel better :smile:

Edit: done. Apologies for the confusion.
(edited 10 years ago)

Reminds me of my grandma. If youre not a lawyer or doctor, what are you?! :biggrin:

I quote my friend's dad "What is the point of going to school if you are not becoming a doctor?"
:biggrin::biggrin:
And on what, exactly, do you gauge such a claim?

Guaranteed a Job with a comfortable salary afterwards.
I didn't misrepresent them. You have to do an exam to enter the US. I cannot be much more clear than that.

Furthermore, they are not basic. If that was the case, then every Tom, Dick and Harry would be able to get a good mark on it. So, you really have no clue about the USMLE or the requirements to get a decent mark on it.

What I mean is a UK medicine degree is given exemption status in the US, and the exams do not build on knowledge which is contained within a UK degree.

The exams I think are harder than the UK ones - but there are people on here like digitalis who did the exams mostly in the summer of their 4th year at university.

Compare that to law, it's a walk in the park. If you want to practice in the US with a UK law degree, the answer is effectively - do a 5 year JD or...you can't.
"So it's really not a question of my freaking out last minute over working in the NHS, I was never that keen to be a doctor, it just sort of fell in my path and at the time it didn't seem like there was a better alternative."

Have people on this thread suddenly lost the ability to read? Does this sound like someone who wants to devote HER LIFE to the medical career? She has picked medicine as a matter of convenience not because that's actually what she wants to do.

I have no issues with how easily she got medicine offers, I know people who received 100% medicine offers but it irritates me that there are still people who decide to do medicine who aren't even passionate about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
This is a first post by someone who is probably a troll and people are getting worked up over it?

Lawyers assume everyone will want to work for big city firms, where you will have to bill ridiculous hours and will get paid silly money. There are other lawyers and they don't all want to work in America.

Doctors assume everyone has to be passionate about medicine - well you'll be a fool to go into a career with lifelong learning unless you were but most go into it thinking about surgery and end up as gps. Passion can get lost under the relentless presssure.

As was said upthread better to make a third choice if the OP was genuine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending