The Student Room Group

Does increasing maintenance loan affect the maintenance grant?

I posted on Ask SFE but someone here may well be able to give a quick answer.

I have had my application for SF recently accepted. I qualify for both a loan and a partial grant of c. £2600 and originally applied for a loan of £3500, which I would like to increase to £4500. I've spoken to SFE by telephone and am awaiting a form to send off to increase this.

What is key for me to know is whether or not this will decrease my maintenance grant. I don't think it should as I still have a few thousand pounds left of my loan limit but when I asked on the phone I was confused by the answer I received and don't want to go through the whole process again for confirmation.

Many thanks
Original post by Endless Blue
I posted on Ask SFE but someone here may well be able to give a quick answer.

I have had my application for SF recently accepted. I qualify for both a loan and a partial grant of c. £2600 and originally applied for a loan of £3500, which I would like to increase to £4500. I've spoken to SFE by telephone and am awaiting a form to send off to increase this.

What is key for me to know is whether or not this will decrease my maintenance grant. I don't think it should as I still have a few thousand pounds left of my loan limit but when I asked on the phone I was confused by the answer I received and don't want to go through the whole process again for confirmation.

Many thanks

No, it goes the other way around. The more grant you have, the less maintenance loan you have.
Reply 2
Original post by Knalchemist
No, it goes the other way around. The more grant you have, the less maintenance loan you have.

Ok thanks, I think that was what he was trying to say. So if my loan limit is c. £6500 and I want to go from £3500 -> £4500 it should just increase the loan without affecting the grant? (Double clarifying.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending