The Student Room Group

Indian General Election

The world's largest democracy (by definition) started elections... There is no doubt in my mind that these elections matter symbolically to show the strength of democracy and its viability in third world countries.

Discuss, speak etc.

Manifesto's:
http://bjpelectionmanifesto.com/pdf/manifesto2014.pdf - BJP

http://inc.in/manifesto/ - Congress
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It if it doesn't lift people out of poverty and increase social mobility then it is irrelevant. Parts of those manifestos look promising in this respect. Of course what matters is what happens in practice.
Reply 2
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
It if it doesn't lift people out of poverty and increase social mobility then it is irrelevant. Parts of those manifestos look promising in this respect. Of course what matters is what happens in practice.

Indeed, they are the two of the most fundamental factors to bringing India out of the third world status.

Both manifestos are rather grand, but you are right, it's all about practice.

I like the idea of a single civil code for all Indians. I have always been against personal law for religious groups. India should be a secular nation.
Reply 3
Didn't India have an election a couple months ago?
meh, if they've got FPTP then it won't matter that much, just like in this country
Reply 5
Original post by Sunny_Smiles
meh, if they've got FPTP then it won't matter that much, just like in this country

India is nothing like the UK?

Your post has confused me...
Reply 6
Original post by No Man
Didn't India have an election a couple months ago?

State elections and elections for the new governor of Delhi.

This is the general election across the entire nation.
Original post by Ggmu!
India is nothing like the UK?

Your post has confused me...

no I was talking about their federal electoral system for the lower house (FPTP)
Reply 8
no I was talking about their federal electoral system for the lower house (FPTP)

Oh I see.

I thought you meant it doesn't make a difference who is voted for...
Original post by Ggmu!
Oh I see.

I thought you meant it doesn't make a difference who is voted for...

well that can be the case, especially for safe seats
Reply 10
well that can be the case, especially for safe seats

Would I be correct in assuming you have some background knowledge on Indian politics/social/economic issues?
trust you to start this!!!

where is acidwiredheart?????

hmmm.......

if Modhi comes in he will get violent:s-smilie:

then the USA will be like yo!!

:lol:
Original post by Ggmu!
Would I be correct in assuming you have some background knowledge on Indian politics/social/economic issues?

nah, I just know of their voting system, I don't know about their politics
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
nah, I just vote of their voting system, I don't know about their politics

I see, I see. It would matter, a lot.
Reply 14
Original post by cupcakes87
trust you to start this!!!

where is acidwiredheart?????

hmmm.......

if Modhi comes in he will get violent:s-smilie:

then the USA will be like yo!!

Had to be me!

Modi violent? Like invading other countries?
Original post by Ggmu!
Had to be me!

Modi violent? Like invading other countries?

lol yep!

some will have had it if you know what I mean!!
Reply 16
lol yep!

some will have had it if you know what I mean!!

Dear cupcakes, I'm afraid you have been hurt by the propaganda.
Original post by Ggmu!
Dear cupcakes, I'm afraid you have been hurt by the propaganda.

or the drugs you recommended!!!

we'll find out soon enough!
Reply 18

or the drugs you recommended!!!

we'll find out soon enough!

Modi won't be starting any wars lol. Pakistan have more to lose in a war than we do, they would (if they are still governed by their brains) not engage in such futility.

Modi has got a bad rap for the 2002 riots, but in a democratic nation he has been cleared of wrongdoing multiple times. I don't like some of his personality streaks either. But I frankly care little for one specific minority, I care about the largest number of people Modi can help.

I guarantee, Modi will do FAR more for Muslims than any Congress PM who insult Muslims with Hajj subsidies and treat them like flocks of sheep when it comes to election time.

http://archive.indianexpress.com/news/haj-applicants-from-gujarat-outnumber-rest-of-india/1109788/

Gujarat is an exemplary state, evidenced by the fact that the so called 'oppressed' are more well of than their non-oppressed brothers and sisters up and down Bharat. Even if you went to Gujarat, Muslims will vote for and support Modi because he provides real change on the ground.

Sikhs, Buddhist and Jains need to be recognised in the constitution, it's an embarrassment that they aren't. Even if I see all three as extensions of Vedic religion, they themselves do not and it must be respected.
Original post by Ggmu!
Modi won't be starting any wars lol. Pakistan have more to lose in a war than we do, they would (if they are still governed by their brains) not engage in such futility.

Modi has got a bad rap for the 2002 riots, but in a democratic nation he has been cleared of wrongdoing multiple times. I don't like some of his personality streaks either. But I frankly care little for one specific minority, I care about the largest number of people Modi can help.

I guarantee, Modi will do FAR more for Muslims than any Congress PM who insult Muslims with Hajj subsidies and treat them like flocks of sheep when it comes to election time.

http://archive.indianexpress.com/news/haj-applicants-from-gujarat-outnumber-rest-of-india/1109788/

Gujarat is an exemplary state, evidenced by the fact that the so called 'oppressed' are more well of than their non-oppressed brothers and sisters up and down Bharat. Even if you went to Gujarat, Muslims will vote for and support Modi because he provides real change on the ground.

Sikhs, Buddhist and Jains need to be recognised in the constitution, it's an embarrassment that they aren't. Even if I see all three as extensions of Vedic religion, they themselves do not and it must be respected.

im not even gonna try say i understood all of that!
but I will agree with you on the last point about not being recognised as a religion is awful!
cba to look at link now!! doing politics work!!! :lol:

will have a look in a bit!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending