The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Coloringwiththerainbow
Ah yes, I think perhaps you have a point there! Opps, my mistake! I didn't see the date just there. Ahem.

Don't worry, it happens.:smile:
I agree, by the way - Norwegian would probably the most sensible language to start with (and it's the best of the lot anyway:p:).
hobnob
Don't worry, it happens.:smile:
I agree, by the way - Norwegian would probably the most sensible language to start with (and it's the best of the lot anyway:p:).

Hæhæ yeah! *thinks, this hobnob knows what he's saying* We like!

Well thanks for telling me about the post, I probably would have been waiting for a looong time.

Eep!:smile:
Reply 22
Coloringwiththerainbow
Hæhæ yeah! *thinks, this hobnob knows what he's saying* We like!

Well thanks for telling me about the post, I probably would have been waiting for a looong time.

Eep!:smile:

Hey..

I'm Norwegian :biggrin: If you want to chat and improve your Norwegian, I'm here :wink:

Edit: and for your sig: "Legg meg til dine venner Facebook" (eg. switch dine and venner) and "jeg er 18 år" (eg. no på)
EvilSheep
Hey..

I'm Norwegian :biggrin: If you want to chat and improve your Norwegian, I'm here :wink:

Edit: and for your sig: "Legg meg til dine venner Facebook" (eg. switch dine and venner) and "jeg er 18 år" (eg. no på)

Øøøøh! Takk for hjelpen EvilSheep!

Jepp, I really need to improve my Norwegian if I'm going to UCL next year although they start from scratch it's always a good idea to start early isn't it?

I have recently learnt the word order in Norwegian so it's not coming completely naturally right now. *goes to change it*

It's so magical in some ways to start learning another language! Without being a total geek :rolleyes: it is quite exciting. Everytime I get something I think wahey!

I've noticed there's lots of similarities from English to Norwegian and it made it a bit easier that all the conjugation sort of...stays put. E.g. Jeg er, vi er, dere er. There's also lots of similarites with German too which made learning Norwegian much easier!

Wahey! Thanks again...

(P.S. Definitely need to practice though, although I am not quite sure how...)
Reply 24
Coloringwiththerainbow
Øøøøh! Takk for hjelpen EvilSheep!

Jepp, I really need to improve my Norwegian if I'm going to UCL next year although they start from scratch it's always a good idea to start early isn't it?

I have recently learnt the word order in Norwegian so it's not coming completely naturally right now. *goes to change it*

It's so magical in some ways to start learning another language! Without being a total geek :rolleyes: it is quite exciting. Everytime I get something I think wahey!

I've noticed there's lots of similarities from English to Norwegian and it made it a bit easier that all the conjugation sort of...stays put. E.g. Jeg er, vi er, dere er. There's also lots of similarites with German too which made learning Norwegian much easier!

Wahey! Thanks again...

(P.S. Definitely need to practice though, although I am not quite sure how...)

We could start a Norwegian Language Practice Group :biggrin: :p: I know of at least 3 people now (you, TheLandOfNorwegia and Becca) who could be in it!!

I do agree with you about it being exciting to learn a new language!!! I'm trying (although haven't done much on it recently) to learn Swahili, and even though it is reeeeally hard, I enjoy working on it from time to time :smile:

I think it's cool that you want to learn Norwegian.. Any reason why??
EvilSheep
We could start a Norwegian Language Practice Group :biggrin: :p: I know of at least 3 people now (you, TheLandOfNorwegia and Becca) who could be in it!!

I do agree with you about it being exciting to learn a new language!!! I'm trying (although haven't done much on it recently) to learn Swahili, and even though it is reeeeally hard, I enjoy working on it from time to time :smile:
I think it's cool that you want to learn Norwegian.. Any reason why??

Hei!
It is exciting although sometimes I feel quite a geek when I get excited about grammar now...ho hum.
Why? Hmm, good question! I find the Vikings really fascinating and originally started looking into Icelandic because I was lent a Sigur Rós CD and their lyrics and ethereal sound made me really interested. From there I took a ''walk'' to Old Norse, and then to Old Swedish and Old English and finally to modern day Norwegian and German. These last two years have been constant study and reading about, well, you folk really! I feel quite an affinity with Norwegian especially because I like the way it sounds and how sometimes it makes more sense than English! It sort of hit me about half a year ago (a bit late I know) that this is really what I want to do. Right now I'm working hard on my German which is quite good and teaching myself Norwegian from this Teach Yourself! series (by Margaretha Danbolt Simons) and it's been one of the best learning books I have come across. Unfortunately, it can't cover every Norwegian word and phrase in existence but it does give you the framework to have conversations aswell as read and write with confidence in your language.
There are some things I am stuck on right now and I was wondering if you could help. I have already asked a half Swede and he's been really helpful. Okay, here they are...and sorry to bore you my friend!

''Du snakker godt norsk!'' - Why is there a ''t'' in good when there is nothing else to choose the ''et'' common gender - if you see what I mean.

How do you say something is good, or big (f.eks someone says ''and it was really brilliant'' and you reply with something like ''oh wow, that's great, or that's big!'') How would you choose the demonstrative when you're talking about something that doesn't really exist but describing it. Which do you use? Denne, dette, disse... osv.

I think that's about it for now. I'll probably have more questions. I'm about half way through this excellent book and have purchased another grammar one. I don't know why but I find Norwegian much easier than German, dammit!

In some ways I think it's easier for you to learn English than it is for us to learn Norwegian because you have it impressed on you from an early age whereas we (especially in little England) have no languages at all...apart from French and German. When did you start learning English?
Thank you and sorry!

P.S. I'd love to be party to the group! It would be fantastic! :tsr2:
Reply 26
Coloringwiththerainbow

Hei!
Right now I'm working hard on my German which is quite good and teaching myself Norwegian from this Teach Yourself! series (by Margaretha Danbolt Simons) and it's been one of the best learning books I have come across. Unfortunately, it can't cover every Norwegian word and phrase in existence but it does give you the framework to have conversations aswell as read and write with confidence in your language.
There are some things I am stuck on right now and I was wondering if you could help. I have already asked a half Swede and he's been really helpful. Okay, here they are...and sorry to bore you my friend!

''Du snakker godt norsk!'' - Why is there a ''t'' in good when there is nothing else to choose the ''et'' common gender - if you see what I mean.

How do you say something is good, or big (f.eks someone says ''and it was really brilliant'' and you reply with something like ''oh wow, that's great, or that's big!'') How would you choose the demonstrative when you're talking about something that doesn't really exist but describing it. Which do you use? Denne, dette, disse... osv.

I think that's about it for now. I'll probably have more questions. I'm about half way through this excellent book and have purchased another grammar one. I don't know why but I find Norwegian much easier than German, dammit!

In some ways I think it's easier for you to learn English than it is for us to learn Norwegian because you have it impressed on you from an early age whereas we (especially in little England) have no languages at all...apart from French and German. When did you start learning English?
Thank you and sorry!

P.S. I'd love to be party to the group! It would be fantastic! :tsr2:

Heisann :smile:

No need to be sorry, I'm glad to help..

I'm guessing your book is in the East Norway dialect?? I'm from Bergen, and as you might know we have a rather different dialect, using a couple of different words from time to time.. I'd never let my boyfriend learn the Eastern dialect :biggrin:

Anyways, to your questions..

- Du snakker godt norsk... - I wouldn't use this, but I think they do elsewhere in the country. I would say, "du snakker bra norsk". However, the reason for "godt", I'm actually not quite sure. I'd imagine that it relates to the word "språk" (meaning language) which takes "et"..

- That's great - There are loads of different things you could say... I'd say "så gøy", which literally means, 'how fun', or "så kult", which means 'how cool'. You could also say, "det er jo (kjempe)flott/kjempebra" - meaning 'that's great'... Other people might say different things though..

:smile:
EvilSheep
Heisann :smile:

No need to be sorry, I'm glad to help..

I'm guessing your book is in the East Norway dialect?? I'm from Bergen, and as you might know we have a rather different dialect, using a couple of different words from time to time.. I'd never let my boyfriend learn the Eastern dialect :biggrin:

Anyways, to your questions..

- Du snakker godt norsk... - I wouldn't use this, but I think they do elsewhere in the country. I would say, "du snakker bra norsk". However, the reason for "godt", I'm actually not quite sure. I'd imagine that it relates to the word "språk" (meaning language) which takes "et"..

- That's great - There are loads of different things you could say... I'd say "så gøy", which literally means, 'how fun', or "så kult", which means 'how cool'. You could also say, "det er jo (kjempe)flott/kjempebra" - meaning 'that's great'... Other people might say different things though..

:smile:

Hey!

Aah, that's helpful! But how do you know when to use ''det'' or ''den'' when talking about something like your example. Would you ever say den er jo kjempebra? Etc.

Yes, my book is from the folk in Oslo so the accent is very eastern. Although, the thing with you Norwegians is that you like to have different accents! Nevermind different languages, it's hard enough to understand the people from Trondheim...so...different. My girlfriend is from Halden and they justjoineverythingup so it becomes one big long sentence and I have to spend a few minutes working out what she said before saying...øøh! Ja, takk..in my Britisk/Oslo accent. That's weird in itself and gets laughs! Ahem.

You are a clever girl though, I never would have thought of språk and et, nice one! Now I know, or I get terribly mixed up. :confused:

Are you learning any other languages, Norwegian is starting to leak into my German now...argh.
Reply 28
Coloringwiththerainbow
Hey!

Aah, that's helpful! But how do you know when to use ''det'' or ''den'' when talking about something like your example. Would you ever say den er jo kjempebra? Etc.

Yes, my book is from the folk in Oslo so the accent is very eastern. Although, the thing with you Norwegians is that you like to have different accents! Nevermind different languages, it's hard enough to understand the people from Trondheim...so...different. My girlfriend is from Halden and they justjoineverythingup so it becomes one big long sentence and I have to spend a few minutes working out what she said before saying...øøh! Ja, takk..in my Britisk/Oslo accent. That's weird in itself and gets laughs! Ahem.

You are a clever girl though, I never would have thought of språk and et, nice one! Now I know, or I get terribly mixed up. :confused:

Are you learning any other languages, Norwegian is starting to leak into my German now...argh.

In cases like that, you always use det for it. If you were going to say that your gf's dress was really nice, you'd say "den er kjempefin". Or if you were commenting on a film, "den var kjempebra". But when it's a situation/something happening that is good, it's always (I think!!) "det"..

We do like our accents/dialects yes :biggrin: It's cooooool!!
Reply 29
Coloringwiththerainbow
Right now I'm working hard on my German which is quite good and teaching myself Norwegian from this Teach Yourself! series (by Margaretha Danbolt Simons) and it's been one of the best learning books I have come across.

Jeg har denne bok ogsa! Boken er veldig god...men norsk min er ikke :yes:
Have you got the CDs for it? I bought them but I think I have lost one of them... :redface: The last time I looked at the book I was about halfway, I got a bit bored I think :redface:

EvilSheep

I was quite keen to laere Norsk a year ago because I went to Norway for the summer and I did stay in Bergen ( :biggrin: )for some time, but as I said I became a bit bored of it (it's a bad habit of mine, I want to learn too many languages :redface: )...but I support the Norwegian practice group...I could come to post bad Norwegian for you all to laugh at...:biggrin:
Reply 30
Hanoi
Jeg har denne boken ogsa! Boken er veldig god...men norsken min er ikke :yes:
Have you got the CDs for it? I bought them but I think I have lost one of them... :redface: The last time I looked at the book I was about halfway, I got a bit bored I think :redface:

I was quite keen to laere Norsk a year ago because I went to Norway for the summer and I did stay in Bergen ( :biggrin: )for some time, but as I said I became a bit bored of it (it's a bad habit of mine, I want to learn too many languages :redface: )...but I support the Norwegian practice group...I could come to post bad Norwegian for you all to laugh at...:biggrin:

That'd be cool.. I might have to start that group!!

Latest

Trending

Trending