The Student Room Group

Can I choose to accept my insurance choice instead of the firm choice

Hi there,

Basically I have been given a conditional offer by Sheffield (AAA) and another conditional offer from Bath (A*AA).

The thing is I prefer going to Sheffield rather than to Bath. What should I do?

Do I just make Sheffield as my firm choice without bothering the fact that an insurance choice has to be a lower offer than the firm's?

Am I allowed to make bath as my firm choice first, then make use of the Adjustment period to replace bath by sheffield as well?

Thank you very much.
On results day, if you get the grades for your firm, then your insurance choice disappears permanently.

There's no point in putting a uni you don't like as your firm - you don't have to have an insurance choice if you don't want to.
Reply 2
If Sheffield is the place you want to be then firm it.

It makes no sense whatsoever to put your second choice as firm. What Bullets has said is totally correct, if you firm Bath and get their grades then you lose Sheffield end of.

Do you have other offers you can use as insurance?
Advice here about Firm/Insurance choices - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/firm_and_insurance_choices
Reply 4
Original post by martinetlau

Do I just make Sheffield as my firm choice without bothering the fact that an insurance choice has to be a lower offer than the firm's?

Am I allowed to make bath as my firm choice first, then make use of the Adjustment period to replace bath by sheffield as well?

Thank you very much.

An insurance doesn't have to be lower and some people do have an insurance choice with the same grades as their firm choice. On results day the two universities may take a different attitude to missing a grade. However having an insurance that needed higher grades than your firm is pretty pointless.

Do you have any other offers? If so firm Sheffield and insure somewhere else. You can just firm Sheffield and then apply though clearing if you don't get in there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending