The Student Room Group

ATOS - personal independence payment

For those who have applied for PIP, how long did it take to get a medical from ATOS?

Scroll to see replies

In the process of applying, sent of the form last week.
How long have you been waiting
Reply 2
I applied in September.
Original post by Noodlzzz
I applied in September.

If you've heard nothing back from them at all it would not surprise me in the slightest if they have lost the application. DWP are terrible for it, they've lost stuff of ours a few times. Call them to chase or get someone to do so on your behalf.
Reply 4
Moved to disabled students, you'll probably get more answers here :smile:
Reply 5
It can take months, according to what I've read online.

BTW, not everyone is seen by ATOS. Some are seen by Capita. No idea how long you have to wait for them though.
Reply 6
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
If you've heard nothing back from them at all it would not surprise me in the slightest if they have lost the application. DWP are terrible for it, they've lost stuff of ours a few times. Call them to chase or get someone to do so on your behalf.

Called them last week. 'Will hear back soon'....
Some reports are saying waits of over a year!
Reply 8
For people who've claimed, or are in the processing of claiming, PIP, was this a new claim or a change from dla?

My dla award runs out early next year and I'm really concerned about how long it's taking for new pip claims to be processed. I know a lot could potentially change in the next year, and it may get better, but I'm wondering how soon before your dla ends do they start the assessment process for PIP? And what happens if they've still not come to a decision on the PIP before your dla claims? Do they continue paying you your dla until a decision is made, or are you just left with nothing? I know that there's no guarantee I'll get PIP, but I'm currently on middle rate care and high mobility and I'd really struggle without this financial aid to help me with things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v= 00lM-DtyZ84[/video]

Looks like they've basically ****ed up the PIP system
Original post by Quin87
For people who've claimed, or are in the processing of claiming, PIP, was this a new claim or a change from dla?

My dla award runs out early next year and I'm really concerned about how long it's taking for new pip claims to be processed. I know a lot could potentially change in the next year, and it may get better, but I'm wondering how soon before your dla ends do they start the assessment process for PIP? And what happens if they've still not come to a decision on the PIP before your dla claims? Do they continue paying you your dla until a decision is made, or are you just left with nothing? I know that there's no guarantee I'll get PIP, but I'm currently on middle rate care and high mobility and I'd really struggle without this financial aid to help me with things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd also like to know how long a pip claim takes. If a reward runs out April next year I think you're assessed for pip? And how long does it take and I also wanna know do you still get paid DLA until a pip decision is made, and if a decision is made that you're not entitled to pip will you have to repay any DLA?
thanks
Well today we've had a letter from Capita (another company that does PIP assessments) confirming reciepts of the application and saying we should have an appointment for assessment in due course.
Well today we've had a letter from Capita (another company that does PIP assessments) confirming reciepts of the application and saying we should have an appointment for assessment in due course.

Have you still got DLA to currently live on at the moment? PIP sounds an absolute nightmare
Original post by theonlyalex
Have you still got DLA to currently live on at the moment? PIP sounds an absolute nightmare

Never had DLA, we have applied for PIP due to a recent diagnosis.
Reply 14
Original post by theonlyalex
I'd also like to know how long a pip claim takes. If a reward runs out April next year I think you're assessed for pip? And how long does it take and I also wanna know do you still get paid DLA until a pip decision is made, and if a decision is made that you're not entitled to pip will you have to repay any DLA?
thanks
I've found this fact sheet: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/286712/pip-toolkit-factsheet-reassessment.pdf It says that when they tell you that you need to claim for PIP, if you apply within the time stated (within 28 days from getting letter) then you will continue receiving DLA until they have come to a decision: "DWP will ensure that DLA remains in payment for all claimants who comply with the new claims process, until a decision on PIP has been communicated to them.

The DLA award will be extended if the claimant has made a claim to PIP within the specified timescales; their DLA award is due to end, but a decision has not yet been reached on the PIP claim.

Once a decision is made on the PIP claim no matter whether that decision is favourable or unfavourable, DLA will continue to be paid until 28 days after their next payday, until the PIP decision comes into force. These rules will also apply if the claimant is awarded PIP at a higher or lower rate than their previous rate of DLA or even disallowed altogether.
" so that has reassured me a bit! Hope this does you too

Capita website says 25-32 days wait from receipt of claim for assessment. Atos may be different though.
Original post by Quin87
I've found this fact sheet: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/286712/pip-toolkit-factsheet-reassessment.pdf It says that when they tell you that you need to claim for PIP, if you apply within the time stated (within 28 days from getting letter) then you will continue receiving DLA until they have come to a decision: "DWP will ensure that DLA remains in payment for all claimants who comply with the new claims process, until a decision on PIP has been communicated to them.

The DLA award will be extended if the claimant has made a claim to PIP within the specified timescales; their DLA award is due to end, but a decision has not yet been reached on the PIP claim.

Once a decision is made on the PIP claim no matter whether that decision is favourable or unfavourable, DLA will continue to be paid until 28 days after their next payday, until the PIP decision comes into force. These rules will also apply if the claimant is awarded PIP at a higher or lower rate than their previous rate of DLA or even disallowed altogether.
" so that has reassured me a bit! Hope this does you too

okay that's reassured me thanks for telling me!
Just updating on my situation

Got a letter today from Capita, we have an appointment for an assessment on May 6th

Have to say, much more impressed with capita than my previous experiences with ATOS
Just updating on my situation

Got a letter today from Capita, we have an appointment for an assessment on May 6th

Have to say, much more impressed with capita than my previous experiences with ATOS

Hi

I have my assessment soon (on Monday) with ATOS.

What type of questions do they ask you?
Original post by skinnygurl36
Hi

I have my assessment soon (on Monday) with ATOS.

What type of questions do they ask you?

For the most part, they go through the questions on the application and ask questions relating to what an "average day" is... Which was hard in our case, as there's literally no such thing as an average day but...

Quick Reply

Latest