The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Frankly no. You'll feel like ****e if you do.

I would wait about 45 minutes at the bare minimum.
Reply 2
im not certain, but i got told that it was good to eat after running as your metabolism is still going so you are still burning fat, so when you eat straight after it doesnt affect you as much and burns off pretty much straight away.
-but thats only wt i was told! i duno!!
well they are both kind of right, fact is if you trying to burn weight then you need to keep a caloried deficit, if your trying to increase oyur fitness you need to eat more.

Either way it depends on how long you run and the levle of intensity, because even if its just to loose weight, if you are running 15 miles it will be hard on you and you really do need to eat.

After a long hard excersize your motabilism is spiked for about 2 hours so this is a perfect time to eat.

A banana or a jam sandwhich are 2 good examples of food you could eat.
i tend to eat about 25 mins after running and even then i find food passes straight through me my metabolism goes wild lol
Reply 5
Yep, to replenish the glycogen and all that.
Reply 6
*titanium*
well they are both kind of right, fact is if you trying to burn weight then you need to keep a caloried deficit, if your trying to increase oyur fitness you need to eat more.

Either way it depends on how long you run and the levle of intensity, because even if its just to loose weight, if you are running 15 miles it will be hard on you and you really do need to eat.

After a long hard excersize your motabilism is spiked for about 2 hours so this is a perfect time to eat.

A banana or a jam sandwhich are 2 good examples of food you could eat.

Yep - I agree with titanium. Although, eating an hour before running is fine if it's for the carbs.

Eating after a good run wont dampen your efforts to weight loss. Eating a lot in preparation of exercise/run WILL not help you.
Reply 7
eating just before exercise is not good.. because blood flow to your stomach is gonna be redirected to muscles.. hence less effective digestion.

eating after right excercise has the same effects, since your body is still coping up... HOWEVER.. water.. very important.. :biggrin:

always put enough time between exercise and food
I had some chips after my Race for Life 5km practically after the finish line- not saying thats good but it was freezing cold and they smelt lovely
Reply 9
Logan
eating just before exercise is not good.. because blood flow to your stomach is gonna be redirected to muscles.. hence less effective digestion.

eating before exercising is not nesscerily "not good". i think it's ok to have a small meal, like maybe some wholewheat toast and a banana. i know some people, me included, who could not exercise on an empty stomach. pretty much for the reason that we have less energy meaning we have to stop sooner which consenquently means we end up burning less calories. but dont have an "heavy" meal so you wont spend a lot of time buring it off when you exercise and you wont feel uncomfortably full. have a small meal that will give you energy about one hour before you exercise and it may help you exercise for longer. also, i tend to feel weak and breathless with my vision seriosuly impared after only about 15 minutes of working out without food.

also, i've heard that when you exercise your body burns carbohydrate stores (from the food you've recently eatedn) and fat. so if you eat, obviously your body will burn the carbs from there and also far. dont eat before exercise and you're body will burn muscle.

http://www.ivillage.co.uk/dietandfitness/nutrition/healthyeat/qas/0,,252_185514,00.html
http://nutrition.about.com/od/exercise/f/eat_b4_exercise.htm
back up what i'm saying plus you could find a few other sources supporting the same thing.

as for eating after exercise, i suppose you should eat when you are hungry. your body is sending you a message that you need to eat, so it's probably best not to ignore it. like someone has suggested have some fruit or a sandwhich, maybe toast. i suggest something subsantial though like porridge. i know after i exercise when i eat i am hungry again within half an hour. i assume my body's just burnt off whatever i've given it.
I dont eat much directly before or during excersize because it will make oyu feel slugish, i relie on sports drink mmmmm liquid carbohydrate.
If you burn off 600 odd calories during the session then you should eat something a little while after otherwise you will be a lethagic heap drapped over your chair or bed for the rest of the day.
i run in the morning before breakfast, i found running afterward just made my stomach hurt so i suggest eating after you get back
Reply 13
Yeah, I've read it's good to eat as soon as you've finished excercising because metabolism is at its fasted then I think. Correct me if I'm wrong though :wink:
Yeah I think it is best to eat within an hour of exercise as it helps your body to recover from the exercise and takes advantage of your metabolism being high. I am not usually hungry after exercise but I feel better when I eat and then I have plenty of energy for the rest of the day. I have just eaten a nice bowl of porridge actually after my morning run yummy!
Don't eat before exercising.It gives you major stitch.

I tend to eat after I've exercised as I feel dizzy if I don't!I had Weetaflakes and melon after my run this morning!

Latest

Trending

Trending