The Student Room Group

Do you believe in love at first sight?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
no
True love at the first sight definitely not. But in love for sure. I believe in people who fall in love when they catch sight of beauty, no matter if women or men.
Reply 22
no, how can you fall in love when you don't even know them?!
Original post by amou
no, how can you fall in love when you don't even know them?!

Just a word: charm. Charm has a great influence to people. More than you think!
Reply 24
That's lust. Love is when you don't care how they look but what they do, how they act, beauty shines from within.

Love is when you sip from the same cup of coffee
Original post by Sinead462
That's lust. Love is when you don't care how they look but what they do, how they act, beauty shines from within.

Love is when you sip from the same cup of coffee

Joey doesn't share food!!
Lust but not love. Then, if you act on these feelings the love can start to slowly grow if everything's mutual. It's nice when you have an instant connection with someone.
Attraction. But not love
Reply 28
No, but the other person definitely evokes some sort of feeling.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by brownbearxo
Attraction. But not love

So the fall-in-love-feeling is nothing more than attraction? just a stimulus for subjective beauty?
Original post by Kallisto
So the fall-in-love-feeling is nothing more than attraction? just a stimulus for subjective beauty?

In my opinion yes. I think it is impossible to love what you don't know. Speaking from experience :')
(edited 10 years ago)
Lust, not love.
Reply 32
To the first question, I don't believe in love at first sight. There's lust and there's infatuation, but love isn't instantaneous - it takes a while to properly develop, and this is probably because falling in love with the wrong person would be very costly.

As for the second question, I do believe that (for a guy) physical attraction is a basic requirement before you can start to have (romantic) emotional feelings. Of all women, there is a subset of women whom I find attractive, and a subset of those I've developed romantic feelings for - but I've never felt anything remotely romantic towards someone I didn't find physically attractive.

The closest I think is when you get to know someone online, but as soon as you see their picture/see them in person, I've found that if I'm not physically attracted to them, all other feelings are immediately quashed.
Reply 33
Of course not, it vastly diminishes the meaning of the word love. Its ****ing insulting, frankly.
Original post by brownbearxo
In my opinion yes. I think it is impossible to love what you don't know. Speaking from experience :')

You have just destroyed the rest of my romantic imagination with your rational consideration. :frown:
Original post by Ladymusiclover
awww. Do you need a hug? :console:

Don't even have the time atm!
Also: http://www.vice.com/read/science-says-love-doesnt-exist
Granted, it's biology which is questionable at best but still interesting.
(edited 10 years ago)
I don't believe in the concept of "love at first sight" nope but I think if I don't think a guy is a man-candy :rofl:, I'm not going to bother with what his personality is like, and whether or not he likes eating steak as much as I do :biggrin: !
Reply 37
My girlfriend liked me before I even met her. But 'love' is a difficult concept, not very well understood.
Reply 38
I believe in infatuation at first sight... I don't believe in real love at first sight. To believe in love at first sight would be to have some kind of belief in a world with 'soulmate' situations, and that's just silly. P: You could think of the 'seed' of love being planted upon a first sighting perhaps, but real, genuine love, no.
Original post by awe
I believe in infatuation at first sight... I don't believe in real love at first sight. To believe in love at first sight would be to have some kind of belief in a world with 'soulmate' situations, and that's just silly. P: You could think of the 'seed' of love being planted upon a first sighting perhaps, but real, genuine love, no.

So Romeo and Juliet, who seem to be soulmates, are just a couple of idealism? Are them just a wishful thinking of love?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending