The Student Room Group

The religious oppressing the LGBT community?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by thesabbath
Bring back Section 28 and then these narcissistic "teachers" who believe it is important for pre-teen children to learn about their private sexual lives can find a more suitable place to proselytise their perversions.

We all know that "normalising" homosexual "marriage" was really all about getting the homosexual agenda into primary schools.

So don't expect any sympathy.

Learn to use 'proselytise' correctly. Please and thank you. :smile:
Original post by gearoid94
Learn to use 'proselytise' correctly. Please and thank you. :smile:

- Correct errors in communication.
- Do not address what has been said.

Being a pedantic ******* sure is a good tactic for debate.
Reply 42
Original post by I am not finite
- Correct errors in communication.
- Do not address what has been said.

Being a pedantic ******* sure is a good tactic for debate.

I wasn't trying to engage in debate, I was just encouraging the correct use of a word.
Reply 43
Original post by shadowdweller
Teaching children to be tolerant =/= teaching children about private sex lives.

Homosexual agenda? :rolleyes:

Yes. It is clearly a leftie commie plan to make everyone gay and bring the world to an end.
Original post by Катя
Yes. It is clearly a leftie commie plan to make everyone gay and bring the world to an end.

Dammit, you're not supposed to tell them that!
That's completely ridiculous, the right are far more pragmatic than the left and most economists are right-wing precisely for this reason.

Most prominent economists are right-wing because neo-liberalism (whose 'pragmatic' economists were convinced that the boom of the 2000s would never and end subsequently drove us head-first into the Great Recession) holds sway at the moment. In the 1960s, Keynesianism was the orthodoxy, so most economists of that time would seem left-wing by comparison to today.

That said, economists tend not to be known for their views on social issues. When they are, they're usually socially libertarian (e.g. Friedman).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
For better or for worse, homosexuality is never going to be eliminated from the world, because people are still going to be born gay. You could make it look like there's no homosexuality by driving it back underground and returning the issue to the 18th century, but then you'd just have a bunch of frustrated and confused homosexuals; you wouldn't have actually done away with them.

I don't think religion will ever be entirely eliminated from society either.
Original post by anarchism101
Most prominent economists are right-wing because neo-liberalism (whose 'pragmatic' economists were convinced that the boom of the 2000s would never and end subsequently drove us head-first into the Great Recession) holds sway at the moment. In the 1960s, Keynesianism was the orthodoxy, so most economists of that time would seem left-wing by comparison to today.

That said, economists tend not to be known for their views on social issues. When they are, they're usually socially libertarian (e.g. Friedman).

You've also misinterpreted me, I said you have got good intentions, but you're like the French revolutionaries, you don't realise the direction your raitonalism in politics is going because you're dealing with abstractions and not reality.

Yeah ok let's replace it with anarchist economics and we can trade in fairies.

So do you actually have a response or just ad hominems?
To be fair the parents just stated their opinion which many agree with.
The teacher decided to resign, they didn't force him.
Its like in year 6 when you're asked to learn sex education or not and the parents say, no I don't want my child learning it or yes.
It all comes down to choice.
Anyway whilst we are rambling and debating away pointlessly at deciding which hole to plant our willies in, the Chinese are cruising miles ahead and will become major power houses in the Quaternary sector then it wont matter whether people are straight or gay, because they both will be poor.
Focus on the real education issues I say!

So do you actually have a response or just ad hominems?

your an anarchist, your views are too stupid to be dealt with logic so yes.

your an anarchist, your views are too stupid to be dealt with logic so yes.

Yawn.

This isn't even a discussion about anarchism ffs.
Yawn.

This isn't even a discussion about anarchism ffs.

- You accused right-wing pragmatism of leading to the recession while failing to acknowledge your ideas are too stupid to be even put into practice.
Original post by thesabbath
Bring back Section 28 and then these narcissistic "teachers" who believe it is important for pre-teen children to learn about their private sexual lives can find a more suitable place to proselytise their perversions.

We all know that "normalising" homosexual "marriage" was really all about getting the homosexual agenda into primary schools.

So don't expect any sympathy.

Millions of teachers announce to students that they have had sex by getting pregnant and nobody cared; one teacher telling people that he fancies guys (and may not even have sex with them) and all the bigots come out and drag.
Original post by The_Dragonborn
Depends on your views I suppose. Some (the religious communities especially) see the whole LGBT movement as over-liberalisation, and abandoning traditional values which used to define our society.

On the other hand, the LGBT people see the religious communities as an oppressive, backwards bunch who need to learn to get along with others and accept them for who they are.

I can see the arguments on both side to be fair, but I get more annoyed by both movements than becoming passionate enough to choose a side. If everyone just shut up and got along things'd be a lot easier.

The problem with maintaining 'traditional values' is that there's nothing traditional about homophobia, especially in parts of the world where christianity and islam did not take over.
Original post by Flauta
Obviously any attempt to stamp out homophobia is admirable, but do primary schools even have homophobia? I mean it deserves a mention when they're learning about relationships but I don't think it's healthy to devote so much time towards homosexuality, otherwise kids will get the idea that there's something weird about it and that perhaps it is normal to be hateful towards LGBT+ people.

The man shouldn't have had to resign though.

Yes. One of my fourth graders, in a christian school, said gay people are disgusting.
Original post by The_Dragonborn
There are many who could say the same for homosexuality I suppose.

The difference of course being that homosexuality actually exists :rolleyes:
Original post by clh_hilary
The problem with maintaining 'traditional values' is that there's nothing traditional about homophobia, especially in parts of the world where christianity and islam did not take over.

"Homophobia" may not be traditional, but being straight was not only the norm but the expectation. Being anything else was considered strange/wrong/abhorrent.

Christianity and Islam aren't the only religions in which are homophobic. It's not even just religion itself. It's just that for a long time, as I said above, to be anything other than straight was simply abnormal. The extent to which this was tolerated varies.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
I want my child learning Maths, English & the normal curriculum. I don't need them learning about how being gay is acceptable. Frankly that's a western ideology and goes against people's religions so it can be offensive. There's two sides to every coin.

Homophobia largely comes from islam and christianity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending