The Student Room Group

The religious oppressing the LGBT community?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Dragonborn
Or, maybe some gays could stop being so overt about being gay.

So they should stop being themselves because others don't like it? Maybe those who don't like it should just grow up and get over it.

Without wanting to offend, an example is that "camp" act that some gays put on. I'm sorry, but it is extremely irritating and makes me want to slap them more than anything else.

I'm all for gays having equal rights and stuff, but to be treated like normal people, please act like one.

How many times you do see a British Asian walk around wearing a sari/male equivalent and ask you in an Indian accent if you want some curry. Or a Chinese guy come up to you in the robes of a Buddhist monk and tell you in a Chinese accent that he'll "kung-fu your ass". This is what some gays are like sometimes. They are literally in your face and love to put their camp/gay act on show.

There's no need to be overt about something that should be a private issue anyway.

Sorry, rant over.

Than analogy is pretty ridiculous. I really don't see any of those as being in the same category as acting camp or anything else.
Original post by thunder_chunky
So they should stop being themselves because others don't like it? Maybe those who don't like it should just grow up and get over it.

Why? Why is it normal people who have to conform every single bloody time? I'm sick of it. Maybe some of them should change their behaviour.

Than analogy is pretty ridiculous. I really don't see any of those as being in the same category as acting camp or anything else.

Well it is, because they're being very overt about something which they have no control over. Race is something one has no control over, but people aren't overt about it - they don't go prancing around with a stupid accent, acting out this stupid "identity", "being ourselves" crap. They get on with life.

In the same light, sexuality is something one has no control over, so why flaunt it?
Original post by shadowdweller
It's an interesting point you make, actually. Personally I have no issue with people who are naturally camp - for want of a better phrasing - whether they're gay or straight. But I can definitely see why it would be annoying if people were putting the act on.

Thank you. It's just rather annoying, that's all. I actually know a few gay people from my old school who themselves thought the "camp" act was annoying and didn't do it themselves.
Thank you. It's just rather annoying, that's all. I actually know a few gay people from my old school who themselves thought the "camp" act was annoying and didn't do it themselves.

I would emphasise the point, however, that it's not always an act.
Original post by shadowdweller
I would emphasise the point, however, that it's not always an act.

Maybe, but I still cannot fathom how someone could just act like this normally.
Maybe, but I still cannot fathom how someone could just act like this normally.

You don't need to be able to fathom it for it to be true :lol:
I'm christian,but i have no problem with gay people. Yes,the bible regards homosexuality as a sin,but the bible also says we should not judge people,and that judging is for God alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 147
Without wanting to offend, an example is that "camp" act that some gays put on. I'm sorry, but it is extremely irritating and makes me want to slap them more than anything else.

I'm all for gays having equal rights and stuff, but to be treated like normal people, please act like one.

How many times you do see a British Asian walk around wearing a sari/male equivalent and ask you in an Indian accent if you want some curry. Or a Chinese guy come up to you in the robes of a Buddhist monk and tell you in a Chinese accent that he'll "kung-fu your ass". This is what some gays are like sometimes. They are literally in your face and love to put their camp/gay act on show.

There's no need to be overt about something that should be a private issue anyway.

Sorry, rant over.

While I acknowledge your point as 'non-camp' homosexual, I do think telling people to 'act normal' is lurching an extreme. I feel it goes against everything we as an individualist, tolerant society stand for.

Moreover, I agree in a perfect world people shouldn't have to parade their sexuality with a sense of pride, but the reality is we do not live in a perfect world and many homosexual teenagers who I know, and even adults, face extreme discrimination for a characteristic they have no bearing over.

I'm off to bed now so if you reply, I won't. :smile:
Why? Why is it normal people who have to conform every single bloody time? I'm sick of it. Maybe some of them should change their behaviour.

Are you talking about the camp ones or homosexuals in general?

Well it is, because they're being very overt about something which they have no control over. Race is something one has no control over, but people aren't overt about it - they don't go prancing around with a stupid accent, acting out this stupid "identity", "being ourselves" crap. They get on with life.

In the same light, sexuality is something one has no control over, so why flaunt it?

Race and sexuality aren't the same thing, obviously. There are people who are overt about it though. Aren't there parades around the world to celebrate culture and race? Some people are open and proud of their nationality, some are open and pride about their culture, being open and proud about your sexuality isn't that different to be honest.
Original post by Flauta
That's horrible, I had no idea children (especially at a christian school, love your neighbour and all) could be so cruel. What did you do?

Other children seemed oblivious however. I was actually just teaching them about argumentative writing, and the sample I got had the issue of gay marriage among many other things that younger people may be more open-minded about (and thus their vote should be respected, it argues). I was only focusing with them on the structure, and after the paragraph someone shouted out what is gay marriage, and that pupil said it's two men being together, it's disgusting.

They do not teach about love thy neighbour. The only consistent thing they taught was that prayers can solve everything, and that believing in Jesus per se makes you a good person, 'even though some people may still not treat you well'.

A missionary guy who talks to them every Wednesday even made up a story to 'prove' his point: He said The Last Supper was drawn with 20 years apart, and that the 'model' for Jesus is the same one for Judas. The model for Jesus 'forgot about Jesus' so he became a criminal and turned to look like Judas. Nothing in this story was true. And I only found out later that this was actually also an incorrect version of the make-up story.
Original post by navarre
My bad, it was taken off the list of mental illnesses in 2001. Still fairly recent, and I don't think 13 years is a long enough time to reduce a lot of the stigma, especially when homophobia is still common in the West.

Communism, which was from the west, is homophobic. That's the biggest reason why the PRC is against it. But even now they tend not to talk about it. They do not oppose it, they just pretend that it does not really exist.

And, homosexuality has been decriminalised in PRC since 1997, it was one of the western practices brought first to China since it becomes the PRC.

Original post by navarre
Homosexuality has only recently become a 'thing' that Christians in Africa have cared about. Before, it was hardly acceptable, but many African nations are criminalising homosexuality in response to the growing acceptance of homosexuality in the West- not religion. You have to remember that many of these nations are highly sensitive to colonialism and suspicious of values held by Western nations. Same with China and Russia, which are both homophobic nations with a high proportion of irreligious folk.

Fact 1: African countries use christianity or islam to justify their position.

Fact 2: China is now apathetic, not homophobic. And it has only started to become homophobic since the infiltration of western ideas.

Fact 3: Russia does not have a high proportion of irreligious folk. 87% of its population follow a religion, with 41% following Russian Orthodox.

Fact 4: Many are doing it as a counter-attack on westernisation, but christianity/the west plantedhomophobia in these traditionally apathetic nations.
Are you talking about the camp ones or homosexuals in general?

Just the camp ones.

Race and sexuality aren't the same thing, obviously. There are people who are overt about it though. Aren't there parades around the world to celebrate culture and race? Some people are open and proud of their nationality, some are open and pride about their culture, being open and proud about your sexuality isn't that different to be honest.

I still find it annoying though, and judging by some PMs I've recieved, I'm definitely not the only one.

I think this is slightly going-off topic, should we bring this back to religion/LGBT?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending