The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

What is the University of Liverpool like in general and for LLB Law? need help!

Hi there,

I have received a conditional offer for LLB law and I wasn't able to attend the Law Discovery Day for Liverpool University, mainly because it is quite far away from where I live and I haven't had the time. So I just wanted to ask a few questions...

- what is the law department like?
- what is the teaching like for law?
- what are the lecture halls like?
- Do a lot of people get firsts?
- what is the law course like?
- what are the lecturers like?
- what are the tutorials like?
- what is the accommodation like? (what's the best accommodation + where's the nearest to the law department?)
- how long does it take to get to the campus via bus/walking
- what are the prices for transport like to go to town or accommodation?
- do you have activities such as pro-bono and mooting? (what are they like)
- what is the city life like (shopping + eating out + nightlife)
- does Liverpool have a good reputation for law?
- does Liverpool have good graduate prospects for law?
- does Liverpool have good links abroad?
- what are the societies like + what can you join?
- Is it quite safe?
- What is the campus itself like? (+ facilities)

Thank you to whoever answers these questions. Sorry for so much!:smile:

If you have extra information, I will be grateful.:biggrin:
Reply 1
Also doing the same, can anybody say?
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 2
I'll answer the generic stuff from my point of view, but any subject specific stuff I've left out.

Original post by chlo123

I don't really know what you're after here - at the end of the day all you do is sit there? Last year quite a lot of lecture theatres were refurbished, especially the larger ones (no idea what size law lectures are?) so I guess they are generally a good standard.

Original post by chlo123

Clearly this would depend on the individual.

Original post by chlo123
- what is the accommodation like? (what's the best accommodation + where's the nearest to the law department?)

Accommodation varies from the ridiculously expensive on-campus catered en-suite to the off campus sites (2 large sites, Carnatic & Greenbank, both with multiple halls). Everyone will have different opinions on the "best" ones - personally I lived on campus at Melville Grove (self-catered) and it was great - others swear by Carnatic. What I would say is ignore the misconceptions that on campus is not "social" compared to the off campus villages and is home to international students only. Also, don't get fixated on having an en suite; you almost certainly won't have one when you move out of halls.

Original post by chlo123

On campus - minutes.
Off campus (Greenbank/Carnatic) - the 699 bus leaves every 5-10 minutes and probably takes about 20 minutes at peak time.

Original post by chlo123

If you live off campus, a bus pass is a couple of hundred quid for the year.

Original post by chlo123
- do you have activities such as pro-bono and mooting? (what are they like)

No idea what these are? Must be law things.

Original post by chlo123

Well it's the 3rd top city in the world to visit..... http://www.roughguides.com/best-places/2014/top-10-cities/

Original post by chlo123

Certainly for engineering we're offered a pretty decent spread of overseas placements, mainly China but also the odd European one.

Original post by chlo123

All the Guild societies can be found here: http://www.lgos.org/groups
There are also the 3 armed forces units (URNU, OTC, and UAS).

Original post by chlo123
- Is it quite safe?

Certainly comparable to any other city of similar size.
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-one-safest-cities-uk-3333703

Original post by chlo123

About 2 years ago the Central Teaching Hub was refurbished with new labs, updated lecture theatres and new PC centres. One of the libraries is being upgraded this summer, and there's currently loads of building work going on at the humanities end of campus but I have no idea what that's for. The new Guild also opens this May after a year and a bit of major refurbishment.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by WhiteWash
Accommodation varies from the ridiculously expensive on-campus catered en-suite to the off campus sites (2 large sites, Carnatic & Greenbank, both with multiple halls). Everyone will have different opinions on the "best" ones - personally I lived on campus at Melville Grove (self-catered) and it was great - others swear by Carnatic. What I would say is ignore the misconceptions that on campus is not "social" compared to the off campus villages and is home to international students only. Also, don't get fixated on having an en suite; you almost certainly won't have one when you move out of halls.

How much did you pay for the offcampus? Also I was originally planning on staying at the new accomodation on campus; would you say it's a better choice to go off campus then..the costs aren't an issue?
Reply 4
Original post by Peteyology
How much did you pay for the offcampus? Also I was originally planning on staying at the new accomodation on campus; would you say it's a better choice to go off campus then..the costs aren't an issue?

In my first year I lived on campus and paid £86/week for self-catered and shared bathroom (no idea if this combination even exists anymore).

I'm not up to date with accommodation costs so can't really comment on that. Just remember that if you're off campus you need to factor in the cost of a bus pass, increased taxi fares on nights out, and you'll have to drag your arse out of bed significantly earlier than if you lived on campus. You also can't just nip home for lunch.
Reply 5
Original post by WhiteWash
In my first year I lived on campus and paid £86/week for self-catered and shared bathroom (no idea if this combination even exists anymore).

I'm not up to date with accommodation costs so can't really comment on that. Just remember that if you're off campus you need to factor in the cost of a bus pass, increased taxi fares on nights out, and you'll have to drag your arse out of bed significantly earlier than if you lived on campus. You also can't just nip home for lunch.

I think I'm just going to book the vine court and the other new one as a backup on campus. Vine court is next to the law building so I guess that will be more practical than getting a bus in the morning. Thanks for the input!
Reply 6
I've heard that on campus is full of international students and isn't the same atmosphere. Is this true? I'm applying for law too, and don't know what to do about accomodation...
LogueyBear18 here,new user and hopefully will be doing LLB Law with French in September !!

Hopefully going to University of Liverpool to do this,
but being Northern Irish i know pretty much nothing about transport and accomodation.

Anyone else in the same situation as me? and is there anyone who knows how to go about this?

Thanks So Much,
Conor.
Original post by LogueyBear18
LogueyBear18 here,new user and hopefully will be doing LLB Law with French in September !!

but being Northern Irish i know pretty much nothing about transport and accomodation.

Anyone else in the same situation as me? and is there anyone who knows how to go about this?

Thanks So Much,
Conor.

I have an unconditional offer for LLB Law. I know absolutely nothing about transport. I got an offer for Mountford halls which is off campus so I really do need to figure out this whole transport thing. What accommodation did you opt for?
Reply 9

Thanks So Much,
Conor.

Hey there I'm studying Law and heading over from N Ireland aswell!

It depending on your accommodation but as far as I know if you live off campus you can get a bus, whereas if you live on campus it's about a 10 min walk from say Crown Place.
(edited 9 years ago)
As a current law student at the university I can say that ....
- what is the law department like?
The law department is actually really good you get feedback on your work and as long as your engaged with your tutors they're always willing to help.
- what is the teaching like for law?
The teaching is also really good. I'm not going to lie you do have the odd lecturer that u think OMG he's quite bad. But overall the teaching is very good. Most of the lecturers are experts in their field.
because this year the law school was quite big. we had our lectures in the medical lecture theatre which is actually really nice.
I know quite a few people who got firsts this year, but as someone said before, it is purely dependent on the individual if you put the work in you will get it. its very difficult to fail here. if you fail a module it means you didn't make any effort.
- what is the law course like?
Its gd. I like it. you do have some modules that are boring like English legal system and skills but overall its quite gd.

- what are the tutorials like?
Tutorials are good but its very dependant on the type of tutorial class you have and to an extent your tutor.
- what is the accommodation like?
They have actually built new accommodation this year right in the middle of campus. Vine court is nice but expensive. Carnatic halls is terrible but the social aspect is amazing. and the closest to the law department is Vine court. however because lectures are in the North campus it doesn't make much of a big difference where you are to be honest.

bus about 15-20 minutes There's a long queue. and again it depends where you are.
Liverpool is very connected you can pretty much walk everywhere. The university is pretty much In the city centre so you can walk there from uni.Prices on the bus vary between £1.70 and £2.00 .
- do you have activities such as pro-bono and mooting? yes I actually did pro bono work with the law clinic (it actually acts as a law firm), for the Hillsborough inquest which is quite gd. there are mooting competitions as well.
Night life is really gd. Eating out is good too there are so many places to go and try out. Shopping is good too Liverpool one is like a mini Westfield in London.
- does Liverpool have a good reputation for law?
Well its a red brick so yh.

- does Liverpool have good graduate prospects for law?
That I am honestly still not sure of.
Yes. Europe and CHINA especially.
there are loads to choose from .this year will be even better as they have just finished refurbishing the student guild. but u can check out all the societies on Liverpool guild of students.
- Is it quite safe?
Very safe.
Facilities are good there's a sports centre. guild has just been refurbished , there are pubs and cafes also on campus.

Thank you to whoever answers these questions. Sorry for so much!:smile:

And your welcome :biggrin:

If you have extra information, I will be grateful.:biggrin:
Reply 11

Thanks So Much,
Conor.

hello!!! wooo finally found someone else doing Law with French! Been on the freshers facebook page for months and found no one (apart from a few Law with German/Spanish) so its good to see I'm not alone! if you have twitter tweet me @PerksOfLogan and we can chat properly if you like! - Lily :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending