The Student Room Group

Dark matter

image.jpg

C is the answer, but I can't see why B is wrong.

Reply 1
Dark Matter is hypothesised to exist because it produces effects that appear to be the result of mass where no such mass can be seen. Therefore it can be indirectly 'detected' by these effects.
Reply 2
Original post by spiruel
Dark Matter is hypothesised to exist because it produces effects that appear to be the result of mass where no such mass can be seen. Therefore it can be indirectly 'detected' by these effects.

Oh, so dark matter CAN be detected from observations of its effects, making B be wrong, so C is right, right?

Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by krisshP
image.jpg

C is the answer, but I can't see why B is wrong.

Original post by krisshP
Oh, so dark matter CAN be detected from observations of its effects, making B be wrong, so C is right, right?

Thanks

you can observe it, because basically when scientists look at the stars in the galaxies - the force (which keeps the stars in the galaxy) they calculate from the matter they can see, is not enough to actually keep them there, which suggests that there is more matter that they cannot see. So it can be detected due to the fact that they can calculate the force required, and therefore they can work out how much dark matter is present.

So C is right. Dark matter does not give off light or another other form of radiation.
Reply 4
Original post by Tilly-Elizabeth
you can observe it, because basically when scientists look at the stars in the galaxies - the force (which keeps the stars in the galaxy) they calculate from the matter they can see, is not enough to actually keep them there, which suggests that there is more matter that they cannot see. So it can be detected due to the fact that they can calculate the force required, and therefore they can work out how much dark matter is present.

So C is right. Dark matter does not give off light or another other form of radiation.

Nice, that makes sense.

Thanks!:smile:
you can observe it, because basically when scientists look at the stars in the galaxies - the force (which keeps the stars in the galaxy) they calculate from the matter they can see, is not enough to actually keep them there, which suggests that there is more matter that they cannot see. So it can be detected due to the fact that they can calculate the force required, and therefore they can work out how much dark matter is present. (...)

Do I have this right that the galaxy with all the stars and other celestial bodies are keep by visible matter and unvisible (dark) matter? so the whole existence - the existence of the earth included - depends on these matters alone?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Kallisto
Do I have this right that the galaxy with all the stars and other celestial bodies are keep by visible matter and unvisible (dark) matter? so the whole existence - the existence of the earth included - depends on these matters alone?

Well in a galaxy - gravity holds the stars together within the gravity, along with all of the other matter. Gravity depends on the mass of the matter, but if scientists do calculations then they find that the force required is way too small, yet the stars and everything remain held in the galaxy. So there is matter that cannot be seen that is also having an effect, which is dark matter.

Our whole existence isn't exactly down to these matter. Our existence is down to energy. Energy at the big bang turned into mass (by Einsteins E=mc^2 equation) forming the subatomic particles and everything else. Both dark matter and matter were formed from this energy eventually. But the existence of galaxies is reliant on these two matters (matter and dark matter) because otherwise they could not be held together.

I hope this is actually answering your question - I'm kind of rambling on :colondollar:
(edited 10 years ago)
(...) Energy at the big bang turned into mass (by Einsteins E=mc^2 equation) forming the subatomic particles and everything else. Both dark matter and matter were formed from this energy. (...)

So matter and dark matter are nothing more than quarks, leptones and Higgs boson? that sounds interesting! but how massive are these materials?

(..)
Our whole existence isn't exactly down to these matter. Our existence is down to energy. Energy at the big bang turned into mass (by Einsteins E=mc^2 equation) forming the subatomic particles and everything else. Both dark matter and matter were formed from this energy eventually. But the existence of galaxies is reliant on these two matters (matter and dark matter) because otherwise they could not be held together. (...)

So the big bang energy caused subatomic particles which led to matter and dark matter, so the galaxy can be held together and exist. Is that right?
Reply 8
So matter and dark matter are nothing more than quarks, leptones and Higgs boson? that sounds interesting! but how massive are these materials?

I'm not 100% sure what the composition of dark matter is. But in terms of the size or amount - there is a lot lot more dark matter than regular matter.

Edit: It turns out nobody knows what dark matter is made from yet but I found an answer:

"WIMP's, or Weakly Interacting Massive Particles, are a leading candidate to comprise dark matter. These theoretical sub-atomic particles only rarely interact with matter, making them "dark." Theories predict these particles will annihilate, releasing gamma radiation. Radiation from these annihilations will happen at very specific energies, according to the theories."

I found that here: http://www.techtimes.com/articles/5270/20140406/fermi-gamma-ray-telescope-may-show-evidence-of-dark-matter-in-milky-way.htm

So the big bang energy caused subatomic particles which led to matter and dark matter, so the galaxy can be held together and exist. Is that right?

The big bang was just a hot dense point of singularity which had a lot of energy. When it exploded the energy converted into mass, in the form of subatomic particles - quarks, leptons etc. And then larger and larger objects were made, gravitational forces brought things together to form stars and planets.

So yes you're right :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
x

That is very interesting indeed, especially the last paragraph of your writing. Finally I know what dark matter is, how it came into being and what the meaning of the dark matter is. But there is an aspect in which I'm interest in:

In the quote it is written that "particles will annihilate" and that causes a "releasing" of gamma radiation. A radiation which comes into being by an atomic decay too. And the specific energy of this radiation forms the dark matter, if I do that right. So is dark matter nothing more than a product of decay?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
That is very interesting indeed, especially the last paragraph of your writing. Finally I know what dark matter is, how it came into being and what the meaning of the dark matter is. But there is an aspect in which I'm interest in:

In the quote it is written that "particles will annihilate" and that causes a "releasing" of gamma radiation. A radiation which comes into being by an atomic decay too. And the specific energy of this radiation forms the dark matter, if I do that right. So is dark matter nothing more than a product of decay?

Ah I think that it's the dark matter itself that creates the radiation, not the radiation making the dark matter. So the dark matter has the ability to annihilate (just like matter-antimatter annihilation), which means that scientists could use the gamma radiation to detect the presence of dark matter. But right now these are just ideas that scientists have. And also there is a very specific energy of the radiation released - so they will know exactly what frequency of radiation to look for.

In my mind that suggests that all dark matter is the same stuff - because if they all emit the same frequency of radiation, then all the dark matter must be the same, rather than with normal matter where we have quarks, leptons, hadrons, bosons and so on. Although that might be totally wrong. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest