The Student Room Group

Argument with boyfriend

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by awe
Honestly, if that's the truth, how can it not be talked about? Use this argument, once it has calmed slightly and he does communicate with you, to bring everything up. Seriously. I know it's horrid to do but clearly there are some big issues at the moment - if you're giving him a lot more space than he even 'needs' because you feel it's necessary, that's very telling. If he isn't willing to talk to you at all despite an issue involving you most centrally, that's even more so.

I would use this time to yourself to think about the relationship. Write down what the main issues for you are. Don't try and sugar-coat them, and don't try and allow him the benefit of the doubt - work out what the problems are to you regardless of his feelings. Everything needs to come up and be dealt with before you can carry on, otherwise you'll be moving on with existing issues and they will continue to drag you down. It sounds like there are a lot of compromises attempting to be made but that nothing in the puzzle is really fitting. If you really don't want to give up, you are both going to have to sit down and find a way to overcome stubbornness/pride, and both acknowledge why it's worth keeping the relationship. By the sounds of it though, it won't be easy, and you've really got to do it together rather than one more than the other; be on the same page etc. And... if he wants to give up, you're just going to have to I'm afraid. =/

Honestly, it's the truth, I can PM you what happened if you don't believe me. Another reason why I need to talk to him just so I know what he's thinking.

There are quite a few issues which need to be spoke about and I was in the middle of discussing them with him when all this happened so we never got round to finishing what needed to be said. I'm willing to put the time and effort in if he is but I don't know if he is.
Reply 21
Original post by Anonymous
Honestly, it's the truth, I can PM you what happened if you don't believe me. Another reason why I need to talk to him just so I know what he's thinking.

There are quite a few issues which need to be spoke about and I was in the middle of discussing them with him when all this happened so we never got round to finishing what needed to be said. I'm willing to put the time and effort in if he is but I don't know if he is.

I think you misunderstand - I meant the truth that you're giving him extra space. But I didn't mean it as in 'oh you might be lying' truth. P: Semantics. My bad.

Although I am quite curious about what he feels you have done, and happy to give my advice on that specifically, feel free to PM...

Well it's good that was all being discussed, but again - if he broke into that mature, necessary discussion with this argument, it does suggest he isn't willing.
Reply 22
Original post by awe
I think you misunderstand - I meant the truth that you're giving him extra space. But I didn't mean it as in 'oh you might be lying' truth. P: Semantics. My bad.

Although I am quite curious about what he feels you have done, and happy to give my advice on that specifically, feel free to PM...

Well it's good that was all being discussed, but again - if he broke into that mature, necessary discussion with this argument, it does suggest he isn't willing.

Sorry I'm all over the place right now. I'm giving him extra space because it's what I thought he needed but now I'm thinking I was wrong.

Maybe so it's just so difficult anyway I'll PM you now.
Reply 23
Written a short list of things I want;

- More alone time with him
- More communication
- Be more open, I’m not a mind reader
- Be himself
- Don’t take your bad day out on me (although we both do that)
- Not to ignore me and instead say he can’t talk right now

Am I asking for too much?
Reply 24
We broke up yesterday but then decided we wanted a break instead. I'm not hopeful in that we will be able to get back together and work things out as he has a lot going on right now and has issues of his own that needs to be resolved. He said himself that he's not ready to be with anyone right now, so I believe it's for the best even though I don't fully see it right now.

Thank you to everyone that helped.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending