The Student Room Group

Applying for 2014 film studies/production.

Hi guys, Im from Malaysia. 19 this year and have applied a few uk universities for my degree.
Kent University/ Oxford Bridges U for film studies
Westminster and UCA for Film Production

My ambition is to become a film director but i'm now quite confused on which course i should choose, film studies or production?
which one is more suitable for my future pathway, becoming a film director.
A lady in the industry advise me to take course that is more theoretical as i'll be able to learn those piratical stuff after i graduation.

So again, which one is more suitable for becoming a future film director,
film studies or production?
or anyone could tell me a course which theory-pratical ratio is 50-50.

Or anyone would say that the unis that i'd applied is not prestigious and would recommend me some other school.
my results transfer to A-level is AAB.

Thanks for reading it
Reply 1
Original post by tcs0826
Hi guys, Im from Malaysia. 19 this year and have applied a few uk universities for my degree.
Kent University/ Oxford Bridges U for film studies
Westminster and UCA for Film Production

My ambition is to become a film director but i'm now quite confused on which course i should choose, film studies or production?
which one is more suitable for my future pathway, becoming a film director.
A lady in the industry advise me to take course that is more theoretical as i'll be able to learn those piratical stuff after i graduation.

So again, which one is more suitable for becoming a future film director,
film studies or production?
or anyone could tell me a course which theory-pratical ratio is 50-50.

Or anyone would say that the unis that i'd applied is not prestigious and would recommend me some other school.
my results transfer to A-level is AAB.

Thanks for reading it

Hi

I'd personally go with Film Production, you need the practical skills. In my eyes Film/Media studies are useless courses. Westminster Film Production is a fantastic course, it has a good split between theory and practical and the student work is amazing. You're also near the centre of London at Westminster, which is a great opportunity to gain work experience whilst you're there. The course is also Skillset accredited which shows the course prepares you for working in the industry.

I didn't apply for Westminster or any of the others you mentioned, but from my research Westminster is very good for Film Production.
Reply 2
Original post by KBradders
Hi

I'd personally go with Film Production, you need the practical skills. In my eyes Film/Media studies are useless courses. Westminster Film Production is a fantastic course, it has a good split between theory and practical and the student work is amazing. You're also near the centre of London at Westminster, which is a great opportunity to gain work experience whilst you're there. The course is also Skillset accredited which shows the course prepares you for working in the industry.

I didn't apply for Westminster or any of the others you mentioned, but from my research Westminster is very good for Film Production.

thanks bro for giving me suggestion,
is there anymore film course as prestigious as westminster's, preferably locate in london
Reply 3
Original post by tcs0826
thanks bro for giving me suggestion,
is there anymore film course as prestigious as westminster's, preferably locate in london

Ravensbourne have a Digital Film Production course that has a good reputation. It seems to be more focussed on the practical side. I had an interview for the course and was unsuccessful, glad thankfully because I seemed to hate the place at the interview. Besides, they don't even teach Avid on the course and seem to be hell-bent on Apple products. They rejected me based on the fact I lacked work experience in film and apparently my showreel was underdeveloped. To say I volunteer for radio and live in a rural area where it is almost impossible to get work in film they didn't take this into account despite even being on track to get top grades in my media course. Not one person had anything bad to say about my showreel, although it was shown to multiple media teachers and those who help students apply for jobs and university. Something isn't right about the place. Some people like it, others don't. It isn't yet Skillset accredited, apparently because it hasn't been running long enough.

Arts University Bournemouth have an outstanding reputation for their film production course, although it is outside London. I did withdraw from this choice because they were taking months to get back to me, and I already had an offer for Television Production at Bournemouth University which I thought had a better structure to the course and would personally suit me better, and again I was really impressed with the work. The student work at AUB is again like Westminster, outstanding. I was blown away by the quality, and I believe it should be the benchmark all universities teaching media/film/TV production should be aiming for.
Reply 4
I'm doing Film at Westminster, would recommend it, particularly if you want to work in the industry.
I applied to both AUB and Westminster, had interviews and luckily got into both of them, Ichose Westminster as my firm just because of the nnearl equal level of theory and production but also the city links and the campus is really creative and feels like a lovely environment. Hopefully if all goes well with my exams (fingers crossed!) I will be there in September!
Reply 6
Is it possibly to work parttime in London to somehow earn so money without affecting my study?
I heard that it's around 1000pound per month to live in London, and this is an expensive amount for my family ( the currency of Gbp to myr is 1:5.5)
Probably how much I can earn if I manage my time wisely?
Reply 7
Original post by tombeale
I'm doing Film at Westminster, would recommend it, particularly if you want to work in the industry.

Is it possibly to work parttime in London to somehow earn so money without affecting my study?
I heard that it's around 1000pound per month to live in London, and this is an expensive amount for my family ( the currency of Gbp to myr is 1:5.5)
Reply 8
Original post by KBradders
Ravensbourne have a Digital Film Production course that has a good reputation. It seems to be more focussed on the practical side. I had an interview for the course and was unsuccessful, glad thankfully because I seemed to hate the place at the interview. Besides, they don't even teach Avid on the course and seem to be hell-bent on Apple products. They rejected me based on the fact I lacked work experience in film and apparently my showreel was underdeveloped. To say I volunteer for radio and live in a rural area where it is almost impossible to get work in film they didn't take this into account despite even being on track to get top grades in my media course. Not one person had anything bad to say about my showreel, although it was shown to multiple media teachers and those who help students apply for jobs and university. Something isn't right about the place. Some people like it, others don't. It isn't yet Skillset accredited, apparently because it hasn't been running long enough.

Arts University Bournemouth have an outstanding reputation for their film production course, although it is outside London. I did withdraw from this choice because they were taking months to get back to me, and I already had an offer for Television Production at Bournemouth University which I thought had a better structure to the course and would personally suit me better, and again I was really impressed with the work. The student work at AUB is again like Westminster, outstanding. I was blown away by the quality, and I believe it should be the benchmark all universities teaching media/film/TV production should be aiming for.

I just received the offer letter from Kent, what I applied is film studies with a placement year...
How do you think about it?

Though I still waiting for Westminsters reply..
Reply 9
Original post by tcs0826
I just received the offer letter from Kent, what I applied is film studies with a placement year...
How do you think about it?

Though I still waiting for Westminsters reply..

I don't know anything about the University of Kent for Film as I completely ruled out Film/Media Studies completely when I started hunting for courses, so it would be inappropriate for me to comment.
Reply 10
Original post by tcs0826

yeah my accommodation is £600 a month, but if you find a house in the local area (many international students do) then you can find much cheaper than that. it is definitely possible to get a job without it affecting your study too much, but it will take up a lot of your spare time too.
Reply 11
Original post by tombeale
yeah my accommodation is £600 a month, but if you find a house in the local area (many international students do) then you can find much cheaper than that. it is definitely possible to get a job without it affecting your study too much, but it will take up a lot of your spare time too.

Does the 600includes meals?
Hi,

If you are still waiting on replies from other uni's feel free to check our website out for Digital Film Production ----> http://www.ravensbourne.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2014-2015/film-tv-broadcasting/ba-hons-digital-film-production/

We are an establishment that has been running for 50 years so we have a huge range of alumni including the
producers of 'The Kings speech', however our building is only new and has only been around for 4 years we previously had a campus system in Chislehurst which was outdated so we relocated to North Greenwich in London.

Our interview systems run on portfolio pieces and lasts about 10-15 minutes.

If you have any worries about admissions or accommodation here are a few links:
1) http://www.ravensbourne.ac.uk/contact/
2) http://www.scapeliving.com/scape-greenwich
3) https://www.facebook.com/groups/266504406695974/?ref=ts&fref=ts

We cannot discuss applications on here so if you have any problems you must contact our admissions team.

I would recommend to anyone to come to our regular building tours as it's not like an open day it is a normal working day at Ravensbourne to which you can see how students and teachers work. The building tours are at the bottom of this page ---> http://www.ravensbourne.ac.uk/courses/open-days/

Good Luck with your search. :goodluck:
Reply 13
Original post by tcs0826
Does the 600includes meals?

nope! self catered

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending