The Student Room Group

Can I get into medicine

Hi! I'm currently halfway through my AS year and I'm very much interested into getting into medicine. Problem is, i do maths,further maths,biology and I.C.T.
most universities require AS chemistry :s-smilie:
So now I'm confused, I was looking into becoming an endocrinologist, has anyone been in the same situation but still managed to get into medicine?
Reply 1
Have a wander around this website. All is not lost.

http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/school-leavers-standard/
This is why it's absolutely vital to pick the right A-Levels.

I've not known anyone else in this situation, but the only way I could see it working is if you do AS Chemistry next year. Many universities will want A2 Chemistry as well - you may have to try applying post-A-Level.
Reply 3
Original post by Ras17

Looking at the website, mostly all say chemistry is required :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Blob :)
Looking at the website, mostly all say chemistry is required :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Med Schools are all great. Yes some may be held in slightly higher regard but a Medicine degree is a Medicine degree. If Chemistry is a subject you don't wish to take then you still have options, albeit quite limited.

There's about three that don't require it although admittedly that list might need updating. What you can do is pick up an AS in Chemistry once you start your A2's.

Chemistry is considered vital by most and I'm sure it's something that'll help you along in your course if you have an understanding of it beyond GCSE level.
Reply 5
Original post by Ras17

that is waayyyy outdated as Peninsula doesn't exist anymore and nowhere accepts any lower than A*AB/AAA now!

Hi! I'm currently halfway through my AS year and I'm very much interested into getting into medicine. Problem is, i do maths,further maths,biology and I.C.T.
most universities require AS chemistry :s-smilie:
So now I'm confused, I was looking into becoming an endocrinologist, has anyone been in the same situation but still managed to get into medicine?

Yes it is possible if you do your research you could possibly find Med Schools that will consider you. However, to play it safe I personally would continue as you are - finish the AS's in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and ICT. Then I would drop Further Maths and ICT, in order to pick up Chemistry and do the whole A-level in one year. This should then open up any med school in the country to you (provided your grades are good and do well at interview and BMAT/UKCAT). It would give you three full a-levels in Biology, Chemistry and Maths, plus two extra AS's in the ICT and Further Maths. (Though most places won't take into account the AS Further Maths and I'm not sure how respected the ICT will be so it could be worth dropping one now, smashing the other three AS's and get a head start in Chem studies to give you time to do the EP next year - the ep should be finished in at most half a year so it won't get in the way of revision)
Reply 6
Original post by tdx
that is waayyyy outdated as Peninsula doesn't exist anymore and nowhere accepts any lower than A*AB/AAA now!

Yes it is possible if you do your research you could possibly find Med Schools that will consider you. However, to play it safe I personally would continue as you are - finish the AS's in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and ICT. Then I would drop Further Maths and ICT, in order to pick up Chemistry and do the whole A-level in one year. This should then open up any med school in the country to you (provided your grades are good and do well at interview and BMAT/UKCAT). It would give you three full a-levels in Biology, Chemistry and Maths, plus two extra AS's in the ICT and Further Maths. (Though most places won't take into account the AS Further Maths and I'm not sure how respected the ICT will be so it could be worth dropping one now, smashing the other three AS's and get a head start in Chem studies to give you time to do the EP next year - the ep should be finished in at most half a year so it won't get in the way of revision)

Thank you that's actually really helpful although, if I dropped ict and further math in A2 how would I be able to do A2 chemistry considering I haven't done AS chemistry? Although I could do we much as possible by myself over the summer...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Reply 8
Thank you that's actually really helpful although, if I dropped ict and further math in A2 how would I be able to do A2 chemistry considering I haven't done AS chemistry? Although I could do we much as possible by myself over the summer...

Posted from TSR Mobile

you would need to do both the AS and A2 in one year, I know plenty of people who have done this, most of whom got A's (just incase you were sceptical about it). The only problem is that medicine generally requires three full a levels and one extra as (however this AS often can't be further maths if you've done maths and I'm not sure how respected ICT would be). So if you did this you would need to pick up the extended project which counts as an AS in most cases (and is more respected - seen as a stepping stone onto uni study and gives you something to talk about at interview) or of course a different AS. Just a warning though - not sure if you already have it but you will need relevant work experience and as much voluntary work as possible in a setting such as care-home/hospice.

I would advise you to contact med schools and see what their views on having ICT as the fourth AS are (so you could possibly only drop fm and not worry about the ep - but if you can do it, ep could be useful) and also see what they say about taking chem in one year - most (I know even Oxbridge allowed it at least a few years ago)

Just a quick note - if it all goes pair shaped and you need to retake/spend an extra year on your a-levels this is no problem plenty of med schools allow it ... I spent three years doing a-levels plus reapplied on a gap year and am currently sitting on two unconditionals to start medicine this september :smile:
Original post by tdx

Very out of date! We are actually going through the entire site and updating everything. With special regards to the Medical School section, we are going to be changing the entire navigation process and including full details on the now 34 medical schools in the UK. We hope to have this completed soon.

With regards to the OP, you may be best looking at either studying further A-levels, or attempting an Access To Medicine course. These aren't accepted at all med schools, but are an alternative for those wishing to study medicine but have not attained the relevant A-levels.

Furthermore a few Universities also have the ability for students with high grades in non-science subjects to apply via a Foundation year, such as this course from Keele University:
http://www.keele.ac.uk/health/schoolofmedicine/undergraduatemedicalcourse/healthfoundationyearformedicine/

Or Manchester University:
http://www.mms.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/mbchb6year/coursedetails/?code=01430&pg=3

Note that those with Chemisty A2 are often excluded from a Foundation Year course.

Whilst the 'standard' Medicine degree (MBChB) is often 5 years, one with a Foundation Year is 6 years. This allows students to study medicine without having to go back and do a full two years to attain the relevant A2 qualifications.

It may be best for you to first look at what Universities you would be keen to attend and then seeing if they have any of the 'back door' entry routes open. Evidently the more prestigious a school, the less likely this will be viable.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Are you qualifying for any foundation courses?
i know im intruding here but if anyone could help me that would be brill...... ok, i did my A Levels in 2012/13 and did reeeeeally badly. it's always been my goal to do medicine but i was really disheartened by this so went to university and did english for a year and it really made me realise that i won't be happy doing anything other than medicine so i'm thinking of going to college in September and doing A Levels again (Biology Chemistry and Maths) but i don't know if there's any chance that i'd get on any course to do medicine! pleeeease help me decide what is best to do
Reply 12
Original post by georgia:)
i know im intruding here but if anyone could help me that would be brill...... ok, i did my A Levels in 2012/13 and did reeeeeally badly. it's always been my goal to do medicine but i was really disheartened by this so went to university and did english for a year and it really made me realise that i won't be happy doing anything other than medicine so i'm thinking of going to college in September and doing A Levels again (Biology Chemistry and Maths) but i don't know if there's any chance that i'd get on any course to do medicine! pleeeease help me decide what is best to do

Have you considered studying aboard (Romania?) Or if you just want to work in a clinical setting you could be a nurse.
Original post by slg60
Have you considered studying aboard (Romania?) Or if you just want to work in a clinical setting you could be a nurse.

honestly i think the only thing i'd be happy doing would be medicine! and don't think i could go abroad, i'd seriously get so homesick
Original post by tdx
you would need to do both the AS and A2 in one year, I know plenty of people who have done this, most of whom got A's (just incase you were sceptical about it). The only problem is that medicine generally requires three full a levels and one extra as (however this AS often can't be further maths if you've done maths and I'm not sure how respected ICT would be). So if you did this you would need to pick up the extended project which counts as an AS in most cases (and is more respected - seen as a stepping stone onto uni study and gives you something to talk about at interview) or of course a different AS. Just a warning though - not sure if you already have it but you will need relevant work experience and as much voluntary work as possible in a setting such as care-home/hospice.

I would advise you to contact med schools and see what their views on having ICT as the fourth AS are (so you could possibly only drop fm and not worry about the ep - but if you can do it, ep could be useful) and also see what they say about taking chem in one year - most (I know even Oxbridge allowed it at least a few years ago)

Just a quick note - if it all goes pair shaped and you need to retake/spend an extra year on your a-levels this is no problem plenty of med schools allow it ... I spent three years doing a-levels plus reapplied on a gap year and am currently sitting on two unconditionals to start medicine this september :smile:

Out of interest what were your GCSE and AS/A2 grades and which universitiies did you get the offers from ?Please I need to know as my teacher told me those with with 2 C grades(I got a C in ICT and Physics) wont even get a chance into any medicine course. I got 5 As , 2 Cs and B .
Also out of interest, did you do any volunteering ?

Quick Reply