The Student Room Group

Refused Acess to learning Fund...HELP

hi all
I am a first year full time student at university. I am a single mother of two and my only source of income is my student loan/grant etc. I recently applied for access to learning fund and was refused. the letter states my variable costs are within the capping level so I am not entitled to any help ut I can appeal if my circumstances change.
I wanT to appeal as financially I am struggling trying to survive on student loan every three months. I have overdrafts owing on two accounts which are almost £4000 and some bills and debts and £300 rent arrears etc.
my question is, has anyone ever applied and refused before? or written an appeal letter. I have no clue how to write one

Thank you in advance for your time and reply
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by obodu
hi all
I am a first year full time student at university. I am a single mother of two and my only source of income is my student loan/grant etc. I recently applied for access to learning fund and was refused. the letter states my variable costs are within the capping level so I am not entitled to any help ut I can appeal if my circumstances change.
I wanT to appeal as financially I am struggling trying to survive on student loan every three months. I have overdrafts owing on two accounts which are almost £4000 and some bills and debts and £300 rent arrears etc.
my question is, has anyone ever applied and refused before? or written an appeal letter. I have no clue how to write one

Thank you in advance for your time and reply

This fund is for short term emergencies - not long term as yours seems to be.

You need to ditch the accounts that have overdrafts, and let it go to a debt. Once a debt collection agency gets hold of it, you'll be able to negotiate smaller monthly payments towards it.

Your rent arrears are a priority. You need to see which bills you can cut in order to pay off these arrears.

Are you claiming all you're entitled to? Housing benefit (if you're single parent, not in halls, with children under 5), Childcare grant? Parents learning allowance?

Could you get a part time job or 8 hours or so per week?

If you need gel with your debts, contact Step Change a debt charity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending