The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2014 - Discussion and help thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laurenmhari
Hey! That's unlucky you haven't been taught it!������ I write about 3 different ethnic groups which differ in success, Asians being generally successful, Black Americans tending to fail the American Dream generally obviously with some exceptions and then I talk about Hispanics which is fairly balanced (well I argue it to be)

Intro - explain American Dream and mention ethnic groups you will discuss

Asians - 5% population yet 50% of graduates, more Asians earn $200,000 than any other ethnic group : analyse this and talk about employment, many in medicine etc to show success and how in general Asians have achieved

Black Americans - 48% home ownership compared to white ownership at 75% - shows signs of poverty - talk about poverty (1 in 4 below poverty line) and I go on to discuss blacks living in ghetto and how this can lead to crime etc thus illustrating the general failure of the AD

I also do a para on Blacks success however, although in general they have failed to achieve the AD, there are exceptions such as Obama. Discuss him.

Hispanics - half leave school by ages 14 (grade 8) lowering employability and opportunities. Analyse the effects of this. 4 million Hispanic families in poverty. Failure to achieve AD, however...

Studies show Hispanics are more likely than any other ethnic group to have a family member in full time work and 74% leave school to support family. This shows hard work and some do achieve the AD and have the potential to.

Hope this helps a little :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhh so pretty much social and economic inequalities? thanks :smile:
can anyone help me on how parliament can control the prime minister?
Original post by kimberleyms
Ahhh so pretty much social and economic inequalities? thanks :smile:

basically but referring it to ethnic minorities and American Dream obviously! Good luck :smile:
Anyone wrote an essay on collectivist vs. individualist responsible for health and welfare provision for health and wealth? I don't know how to do it :frown:
Also, why are people saying policies for health inequalities or welfare policies could come up for health and wealth? I've never seen a question on that in any past paper
is there any chance a question on race (not combined with gender) or immigration could come up? I don't think I've ever seen that but was just wondering

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by itscaitlin
Also, why are people saying policies for health inequalities or welfare policies could come up for health and wealth? I've never seen a question on that in any past paper

If they ask about poverty/welfare state - these relate to that! But yeah I've never seen a question worded like that either :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
hi im sitting higher modies this year and i crashed the subject so im very nervous for the exam. has anybody got an essay plan for the impact of income on health?
my teachers predictions are:
A2- pressure groups
A4- social class and voting behaviour
B5- impact of poverty on health or the principles of the welfare state
C9: social progress of ethnic minorities/the american dream
Reply 88
anyone have a plan or know how to do " Discuss the role of the First Minister for Scotland"? i have no idea how to approach it :frown:
Reply 89
Hi, I'm also sitting higher modern studies this year. So nervous for the exam as I need a B to meet my uni conditions. For A1, I was hoping for a question on the Four Founding Principles but the chances of this seem small.
Reply 90
Original post by zwali
anyone have a plan or know how to do " Discuss the role of the First Minister for Scotland"? i have no idea how to approach it :frown:

For this question I think you could write about how the First Minister is able to make changes to the cabinet (for example; Alex Salmond appointed Nicola Sturgeon and John Swinney to the cabinet). Another role of his could be to be accountable for the actions of the Scottish Government and himself (for example; through question time/First Ministers questions).
Reply 91
People are assuring me that STV is most likely to come up and I have never wrote an essay on this topic. Does anyone have an essay plan on this topic? I'm starting to get worried for this exam...
Reply 92
Original post by nicb321
People are assuring me that STV is most likely to come up and I have never wrote an essay on this topic. Does anyone have an essay plan on this topic? I'm starting to get worried for this exam...

Nah i think it will be voting behaviour but better over prepared than under prepared
Does anyone think market economy is likely to come up in the china section?!
Reply 94
Well I was reckoning it will be the human rights of Chinese citizens. I may be wrong though...

Posted from TSR Mobile
does anyone know how to do an essay on how parliament controls the pm?
Don't take my word on it, but I highly doubt that voting behaviour will be this year, more likely STV vs FPTP. I sat this last year and my teacher was saying that if voting behaviour came up for us (2013) then there would be a lot of complaints as AMS and STV need to show up more. But voting behaviour is an alright essay anyway so I'd be happy for you's if it did :smile:
Reply 97
With devolution there is no need for Scottish representation at Westminster. Discuss.

Then i think you just talk about devolved powers then a reserved one then talk about whether or not representation is needed in relation to these two powers for each paragraph.
Good luck!
Reply 98
To: zoe.clack

For How can Parliament control the PM essay:

Talk about how the PM has power of appointments to cabinet, but parliament can control as some people are so influential within a party that they can choose their own position, for example, apparently Brown wanted to move Darling from Chancellor in 2009 but couldn't do so as he was too influential. Mo Mowlam was given minister without portfolio by Blair as she would have been too powerful from the back benches. Cabinet ministers can also resign in an attempt to destabilise govt eg Hazel Blears in 09.
However, all cabinet members are controlled by collective responsibility.

They can vote against three line whips ie Syria vote in 2013.

Make PM look foolish and incompetent at PMQS ie 'Bumbling' Brown

House of Lords can reject bills from Commons, but PM can enact the Parliament Act to get bills passed without Lords approval ie Fox Hunting Bill.

Obviously the points require expansion as it is a generalised overview of the essay.

Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could anyone give me a government policies or reduce gender and/or ethnic inequalities model answer or plan please? My teacher has been off and we've barely down any of the wealth and health topic so I'm stressing out

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest