The Student Room Group

Best part-time jobs for teens?

I'm 15 years old and have my GCSEs next year, my mocks in two weeks (should be revising :s-smilie:). Anyway I have tried making money online but most sites are quite bad when it comes to this, and I guess the internet isn't the best way of making money. I've worked in youtube which is probably the best way, but there isn't much else... Does anybody have any way online?
I live in a town and not in a huge city if that helps somewhat. I guess I could work in a supermarket or a fast-food restaurant, but I don't really feel a fast-food restaurant is my thing (I'm ok with the supermarket though, as long as it isn't too low pay) But what are good part-time jobs for a 15 year old that aren't overly demanding (but still require a fair amount of time)? I still have a year and I don't think year 11 will be TOO stressful early on, so are there are good part-time jobs to earn me some money before my GCSEs? Or is year 11 too crucial to have a part-time job with it? Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Glass collecting in bars/pubs?
Original post by Sacred Ground
Glass collecting in bars/pubs?

God I'm so sorry I completely forgot about this thread :s-smilie:
Anyway how old do you have to be to do this? I'm 15 now so I'm not sure, as in the UK the legal age to drink is 18. I'm not sure if I'll be allowed...
Why do you want to get a job, first of all?
Original post by JustSomeBanana
I'm 15 years old and have my GCSEs next year, my mocks in two weeks (should be revising :s-smilie:). Anyway I have tried making money online but most sites are quite bad when it comes to this, and I guess the internet isn't the best way of making money. I've worked in youtube which is probably the best way, but there isn't much else... Does anybody have any way online?
I live in a town and not in a huge city if that helps somewhat. I guess I could work in a supermarket or a fast-food restaurant, but I don't really feel a fast-food restaurant is my thing (I'm ok with the supermarket though, as long as it isn't too low pay) But what are good part-time jobs for a 15 year old that aren't overly demanding (but still require a fair amount of time)? I still have a year and I don't think year 11 will be TOO stressful early on, so are there are good part-time jobs to earn me some money before my GCSEs? Or is year 11 too crucial to have a part-time job with it? Thanks.

A lot of places wont take you on until next year when you are 16 and you are leaving school.
Places you could try now though include: paper round, cafes, restaurants
Original post by Alleykat606
Why do you want to get a job, first of all?

I just feel as if my time playing video games could be put to better use, so I should get a job instead (or something more productive).
Original post by Emma:-)
A lot of places wont take you on until next year when you are 16 and you are leaving school.
Places you could try now though include: paper round, cafes, restaurants

Yeah, that's the problem. I might just wait until next year, but I just posted this thread if there actually was any jobs for 15 year olds (I guess not many though). I might try a couple of cafes though.
Yeah, that's the problem. I might just wait until next year, but I just posted this thread if there actually was any jobs for 15 year olds (I guess not many though). I might try a couple of cafes though.

Cafes and restaurants (the smaller independent ones more than the big chain ones) seem to take on under 16's.
And then theres paper rounds of course.
Reply 8

You could try Paper Rounds, they don't take up too much time and they're usually alright pay. My friend's done a paper round for about 3 years now and gets around £20 a week and she only does it 3 days a week for about an hour.
Original post by olivia_taylor
Superdrug are always desperate for staff. I'm 16 in year 11 and I'm the youngest my store has ever hired. I think that may be the youngest they would go though...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I could just wait it out until next year as well, but my summer holiday this year seems to be pretty empty so far. There's a superdrug fairly nearly here, so I'll be sure to check it out when 16. Thanks.
Reply 10
Wait till the summer after the final exams, focus on studies, other than that only really look for small jobs such as paper round for a bit of money here and there, you'll be collecting the serious dough later my friend, don't you worry about that..
Reply 11

I'm in year 11 and have the same predicament now - best bet is something like a shelf-stacking job in a supermarket - personally I would wait until after the exams but it depends how confident you are with the GCSE's - plus most places probably won't take you on until you're 16 anyway
Original post by Emma:-)
Cafes and restaurants (the smaller independent ones more than the big chain ones) seem to take on under 16's.
And then theres paper rounds of course.

Alright I'll try a few of those, as they seem fairly close as well. I'm not the best cook but I'll try! I don't want to work in places like McDonalds, however a small restaurant seems pretty good. I'll send some CVs to some fairly close ones and see what happens. Thanks
Original post by amelimoo
You could try Paper Rounds, they don't take up too much time and they're usually alright pay. My friend's done a paper round for about 3 years now and gets around £20 a week and she only does it 3 days a week for about an hour.

Yeah I was also thinking about this. This may sound stupid, but is it essential to have a bike? I do not have one and have never been on one in my life, but surely I could just walk down the street? I'm not too sure though.
And shall I just check my local newspapers and work for them for this or shall I go and hand out leaflets from local shops? I've read that Sutton Coldfield are good and have good pay.
Original post by Andy98
I'm in year 11 and have the same predicament now - best bet is something like a shelf-stacking job in a supermarket - personally I would wait until after the exams but it depends how confident you are with the GCSE's - plus most places probably won't take you on until you're 16 anyway

Yeah. I'm fairly confident with GCSEs but not too confident. I think it's more to do with my free time. I'm usually at home and browsing the internet or watching movies at home after doing work, and I sometimes feel I may have too much free time. This is more why I would like a job. But yeah, I don't think I can really get big jobs, and so was just wondering what jobs actually are available for me. And yeah supermarkets probably wouldn't accept <16 :frown:
Also apparently A levels are even harder than GCSEs, so I feel as if I should use this time more wisely. But I should also study on my GCSEs, yeah.
Reply 15
Yeah. I'm fairly confident with GCSEs but not too confident. I think it's more to do with my free time. I'm usually at home and browsing the internet or watching movies at home after doing work, and I sometimes feel I may have too much free time. This is more why I would like a job. But yeah, I don't think I can really get big jobs, and so was just wondering what jobs actually are available for me. And yeah supermarkets probably wouldn't accept <16 :frown:
Also apparently A levels are even harder than GCSEs, so I feel as if I should use this time more wisely. But I should also study on my GCSEs, yeah.

Yeah I know I'm the same - but that's why you find a hobby - I took up golf
Original post by Bobjim12
Wait till the summer after the final exams, focus on studies, other than that only really look for small jobs such as paper round for a bit of money here and there, you'll be collecting the serious dough later my friend, don't you worry about that..

Yeah like I said with Andy I'm fairly confident with GCSEs but not too much, so I could be revising. However it is next year and my mocks are coming to a close next week; after that I have quite a bit of free time. I've also felt that the first half of this year (year 10) was also full of free time (after doing my homework :biggrin:) for me which I could have used more productively. I guess small jobs I could go for though. In the summer though :biggrin:
Reply 17
A summer hoilday jobs!
the best ones are in retals like newlook and river island!
I work for waitrose and it's such good pay! If any recruitment go there I would defo recommend applying!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Alright I'll try a few of those, as they seem fairly close as well. I'm not the best cook but I'll try! I don't want to work in places like McDonalds, however a small restaurant seems pretty good. I'll send some CVs to some fairly close ones and see what happens. Thanks

Mcdonalds dont take on under 16's anyway. They dont take people on until they hve finished their gcse's.
But working there isnt that bad you know. Ive worked there the past 6 years. I wouldnt still be there if it was that bad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending