The Student Room Group

What do you do after your daily revision?

Basicley when its the weekends or the easter holidays coming up for exams i am going to do 3-5 hours a day but what do people normally do for the rest of the day. For some reason i feel really guilty depite revising what about you lot?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I do a similar amount of revision to you, and after revision, I like to take a bath, relax and take my mind off things. I find that I am more productive the next day when I relax before bed and get some good quality sleep.
Reply 2
Original post by jackherbert07
I do a similar amount of revision to you, and after revision, I like to take a bath, relax and take my mind off things. I find that I am more productive the next day when I relax before bed and get some good quality sleep.

What kind of grades are you aiming for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am aiming for A*s in most of my subjects, especially maths as I am taking further maths at college next year
Reply 4
Original post by jackherbert07
I am aiming for A*s in most of my subjects, especially maths as I am taking further maths at college next year

Fair enough im aiming for a's and A* as well. How many exams do you have in the summer i have 23 because we do linear exams not modula

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nightly revision, durr. Didn't realise revising for GCSE was socially acceptable.
Reply 6
Original post by usmaandada121
Basicley when its the weekends or the easter holidays coming up for exams i am going to do 3-5 hours a day but what do people normally do for the rest of the day. For some reason i feel really guilty depite revising what about you lot?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I class Easter hols/study leave as a work day, so 8 hours revision the same as a school day seems reasonable, and the rest of the day is down time, bath, tv, friends, pub, cinema, whatever. For me if there is a plan of what is to be done thru the day and its all ticked off then the relaxing can commence without any guilt!
Fair enough im aiming for a's and A* as well. How many exams do you have in the summer i have 23 because we do linear exams not modula
Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I have only 18 or 19, because (thankfully) I took a couple of Btecs and they are all coursework. But this means that I have no excuses not to achieve my target grades. I know people who have almost 30 exams and are predicted As and A*s for all of them.
Reply 8
Im guessing (excluding the obvious TSR) chill out, watch TV, play ps3/xbox, see friends, play sport, work part time job, you guys must have a life away from the textbooks????
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9

Posted from TSR Mobile

23 exams?

U srs?
Original post by LolaLowe
I class Easter hols/study leave as a work day, so 8 hours revision the same as a school day seems reasonable, and the rest of the day is down time, bath, tv, friends, pub, cinema, whatever. For me if there is a plan of what is to be done thru the day and its all ticked off then the relaxing can commence without any guilt!

Do you have breaks between you revision because i cannot concentrate for 1 hour solid i do 30 mins , 10 mins break etc.. For 3-4 hours roughly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Do you have breaks between you revision because i cannot concentrate for 1 hour solid i do 30 mins , 10 mins break etc.. For 3-4 hours roughly

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think breaks are essential.

If you cannot concentrate for an hour how will you do a two hour exam? Maybe you should start increasing the amount of work between breaks to get used to the exam times? If you take a 10 min break after each 30 mins then your 3 hours work per day is actually only 2 hours work or your 3 hours work is taking 4 hours?

When doing old papers I take a break for coffee/wee/stretch after each one, and taking a break for something to eat in the middle of the day usually seems like a good plan too.
Reply 12
Wow good luck. I'm sure I only had around 10.

23 is ridiculous.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by RtGOAT
23 exams?

U srs?

its unfortunately quite easy to get up to 23 with linear exams like IGCSE.

From memory I had 33, Latin 4 papers, Hist 4, Eng Lit/Lang 2 papers each, Math 2, French 2, Geog 2, Bio/Chem/Sci 3 each, Bus Stud 2, Eth&Phil 2, Spanish 2
its unfortunately quite easy to get up to 23 with linear exams like IGCSE.

From memory I had 33, Latin 4 papers, Hist 4, Eng Lit/Lang 2 papers each, Math 2, French 2, Geog 2, Bio/Chem/Sci 3 each, Bus Stud 2, Eth&Phil 2, Spanish 2

Yh my friend has roughly the same amount of exams as you i don't understand why people do latin its ridiculous in my opinion

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RtGOAT
Wow good luck. I'm sure I only had around 10.

23 is ridiculous.

I had 29 for my GCSEs :/
Reply 17
Yh my friend has roughly the same amount of exams as you i don't understand why people do latin its ridiculous in my opinion

Posted from TSR Mobile

...actually its really useful, study of Latin means you gain a deep understanding of the etymology of English which was frankly a gift at IGCSE level, plus the study of the structure of Latin and Latin derived languages means that learning French and Spanish (at that level and beyond) was a doddle. The learning of further languages like Italian having studied Latin takes a fraction of the time it would normally take. I accept that its not for everyone, but in my personal experience it makes so many other languages, including English, soooo easy! For those who dont intend to learn many languages with ease then perhaps its not a priority. At my school it was available as an extra and it was invaluable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

because its one of the only vaguely intellectually challenging subjects at GCSE
...actually its really useful, study of Latin means you gain a deep understanding of the etymology of English which was frankly a gift at IGCSE level, plus the study of the structure of Latin and Latin derived languages means that learning French and Spanish (at that level and beyond) was a doddle. The learning of further languages like Italian having studied Latin takes a fraction of the time it would normally take. I accept that its not for everyone, but in my personal experience it makes so many other languages, including English, soooo easy! For those who dont intend to learn many languages with ease then perhaps its not a priority. At my school it was available as an extra and it was invaluable.

Thats a valid point however when we chose our gcse options quite a few people said they would choose latin because it would look good on their cv do you think this is correct?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest