The Student Room Group

German sentence

I'm preparing for my speaking exam in May, is this a correct sentence? I mean to say 'we think that in order to be happy, we must be/get married'.
I wrote: 'Wir denken dass, um glücklich zu sein, müssen wir verheiratet werden'.
I'm unsure about the ending or use of the adjective verheiratet, and also the werden part. It was an attempt at the future tense... :/ Thanks!!
Original post by legache
I'm preparing for my speaking exam in May, is this a correct sentence? I mean to say 'we think that in order to be happy, we must be/get married'.
I wrote: 'Wir denken dass, um glücklich zu sein, müssen wir verheiratet werden'.
I'm unsure about the ending or use of the adjective verheiratet, and also the werden part. It was an attempt at the future tense... :/ Thanks!!

I can't help you with this one - but I reckon the folks in the Foreign Languages Study Help section will be able to. Will move your thread over there now. :smile:
Reply 2
Until someone else comes along with a better translation, this would be mine. But I am not a German native, and it has been a long time since I studied German:

Wir meinen/denken, dass man sich verheiraten muss, um glücklich zu sein.

May be totally wrong. But I would definitely send the 'um...zu' clause to the end.
Original post by legache

I'd translate your sentence with: 'Wir denken, dass man verheiratet sein muss, um glücklich zu werden.'

but I wouldn't make such a statement, I'drather say something like the following: Our happiness and emotional well-being is closely connected with the quality of our interpersonal relations. Unser Glück und Wohlbefinden steht in engem Zusammenhang mit der Qualität unserer zwischenmenschlichen Beziehungen.
Reply 4
Thanks everybody!
:smile: Good luck if any of you have exams coming up!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending