The Student Room Group

Is it bad that I don't want to go to a Russel Group or highly ranked uni?

People on here spend so much time speaking about league tables, rankings, prestige and whatnot, I don't know whether or not to take it seriously or to just shrug it off

I got some offers from Russel Group uni's like Southampton, but I actually declined them to go to an ex-poly, Oxford Brookes, a uni that's within the mid 40's range in terms of overall ranking (although on another ranking list it's 35, making me doubt their credibility even more). I mainly did it because the course offered had more coursework, it was in a more accessible and better location for me, and they had a better emphasis on work based learning, work placements and a more "particle" approach to learning. Which I feel will benefit me more in terms of job prospects than solid academic education

I'm predicted A*A* B but I'm going for a course that is asking for BBC, my friend is predicted the same and he's going to a similar uni, and my stepbrother who got all A''s has gone to another modern uni as well. They seem fine with it.

Is this a bad thing? I was told upon vising a Russel Group uni one time that it is bad to put your attention on league tables, I guess that must say it all really.

I'm expecting snobbery and whatnot but hey..
Do as you please, people go to university for difference reasons. Personally, I'd advise sticking to the top universities for the subject you want to do, to increase your chances of getting into the desired career of your choice.
Reply 2
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Do as you please, people go to university for difference reasons. Personally, I'd advise sticking to the top universities for the subject you want to do, to increase your chances of getting into the desired career of your choice.

Well I want to go into teaching, so I can't imagine it being too bad..
Original post by Cameron10
Well I want to go into teaching, so I can't imagine it being too bad..

I'm not too familiar with the processes needed to get into teaching.
I think teaching can be well rounded in terms of quality. Naturally, you're going to have more opportunity if you went to say, Cambridge than if you went to Bournemouth, for example.
BUT, having said that. My AS English teacher was a Durham graduate, and was terrible. My A2 teacher was a UCLan graduate, and is possibly the best English teacher I've had.

Swings'n'roundabouts.
Reply 5
Original post by Cameron10
People on here spend so much time speaking about league tables, rankings, prestige and whatnot, I don't know whether or not to take it seriously or to just shrug it off

I got some offers from Russel Group uni's like Southampton, but I actually declined them to go to an ex-poly, Oxford Brookes, a uni that's within the mid 40's range in terms of overall ranking (although on another ranking list it's 35, making me doubt their credibility even more). I mainly did it because the course offered had more coursework, it was in a more accessible and better location for me, and they had a better emphasis on work based learning, work placements and a more "particle" approach to learning. Which I feel will benefit me more in terms of job prospects than solid academic education

I'm predicted A*A* B but I'm going for a course that is asking for BBC, my friend is predicted the same and he's going to a similar uni, and my stepbrother who got all A''s has gone to another modern uni as well. They seem fine with it.

Is this a bad thing? I was told upon vising a Russel Group uni one time that it is bad to put your attention on league tables, I guess that must say it all really.

I'm expecting snobbery and whatnot but hey..

As someone has already said if the course you have the offer for at Oxford Brookes is the one that suits you best, then the only problem will be if you have a genuine insecurity about it.

The different league tables presumably have slightly varying methodologies so the results will vary, the credibility issue would rather be if despite differing methodologies they all scored the same. Oxford Brookes may mid 40s, depending on you league table of preference, but thats only a few places below several Russell Group Unis like Liverpool, Cardiff, St Mary's.

If Oxford Brook were to up their A level grade entry requirements for example they'd move up the table.

And a quick look suggested that some individual courses at OB rank in the top ten. So if you've applied for one of those, then like it or not, at course level OB is highly ranked.

Personally I've an offer from Cambridge, and I would not swap it for Oxford Brookes. Main reason though is the course content offered, and teaching method rather than necessarily league table ranking. But I'll be honest there is maybe not snobbery but an academic elitism factor for me. I prefer academic environments where everyone is at a high level, have read widely around the subject, and can bounce ideas and arguments off each other and benefit from that. However I don't think that makes me a bad person or my choice a bad one, and likewise whilst not for me I'd respect the choice you've made,as that it what you believes works for you.

So to answer the question posed in your post's title : No.
Of course not, it's better to go where you'll be happiest :smile: as I've mentioned a few times on here, I've chosen the University of Liverpool even though I got offers from Durham, York and Exeter. Whilst it's still a RG uni, all the other universities I got offers from have a better reputation than Liverpool.

I think people overestimate the importance of reputation whilst underestimating the importance of the course content, the place you'll be living and how happy you'll be etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending