The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Queen Mary or Brunel? URGENT

I've been accepted to Queen Mary and Brunel for engineering foundation years. I was wondering which is better? Which would get me into a better university after the foundation year? Is it possible to transfer to the University of Manchester?

Also, is the foundation year difficult?
I was told by Brunel I would need all A's in my modules to be given an offer after the foundation year while QM said a minimum 50% average is needed and what percentage is an A in the UK system?

Thanks!
Original post by yaln8
I've been accepted to Queen Mary and Brunel for engineering foundation years. I was wondering which is better? Which would get me into a better university after the foundation year? Is it possible to transfer to the University of Manchester?

I was told by Brunel I would need all A's in my modules to be given an offer after the foundation year while QM said a minimum 50% average is needed and what percentage is an A in the UK system?

Thanks!

They are different systems.....moving on to another university is entirely dependent on the other uni accepting the qualification, the modules you choose and the % you get.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
I've been offered a foundation course in queenmary (for science and engineering path as well) and a direct entry to the psychology to Brunel. I chose queen mary, and since you're asking for people's opinions, I say you choose queen mary as well. It's just 10 mins with the tube to get to central London; and its a campus university. I've visited the campus, and it's beautiful. Also the neighborhood is very nice and friendly. Accommodation is inside or just across the campus, there's Sainsbury's right across the road along with many restaurants and cafes. Its very convenient, and people are very friendly.
it's possible to move on to another university after the foundation year, if you get the required grades.
So I'd say go with queen mary.
Original post by yaln8
QM said a minimum 50% average is needed

Now that's a revelation. Possibly explains why half the students on my course who came from the foundation year are dim as hell.

Although I should also add that it doesn't necessarily mean QM is low quality. I actually think it's been really good. The entry standard is only so low because QM wants to retain as many students as possible so the uni gets more money from course fees... Well, that's my theory anyway.
Reply 4
Original post by yaln8

Thanks!

I would say Queen Mary. The entry requirements do not necessarily mean that it is a better university. Entry requirements usually show that a university aspires to become better by ensuring that the students there are smarter. Queen Mary is a Russell group university which is a reflection of the staff's research ability and excellence. Also it would be possible for you to move onto the University of Manchester from either university, providing you get a high enough grade and meet their requirements, the University that you went to matters more to employers than other universities.
Reply 5
I don't know about Engineering in particular, but just based on the University Ranking scale, QM is way ahead of Brunel.

Quick Reply

Latest