The Student Room Group

What would you consider "average grades"?

I noticed quite a few members have on their profiles the phrase average grades only to notice lower down on their profile it comprises of B's, C's and D's at GCSE and A level.

I personally would consider ABB at a level average, anything lower is bad.

At GCSE I would consider AABBBBCC average.

What do you consider as average and why?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think BBC is the actual average in the UK at alevel. I personally think ABB + or equivalent is what would be considered good.

GCSE I think B is average, and you should achieve around 1/3 As, 2/3 Bs, (with that 1 C grade you can't avoid) to be considered good. Obviously more A*s is better.

All my opinion, purely on level of achievement, forget uni entry targets. This is based on the fact that with the amount of time you're given to revise, the opportunity to retake and amount of resources (past papers etc) available, you should be able to get said grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
It doesn't matter in the end trust me. I have BBB, did placements, volunteer work and have work experience and have a paid internship for three months lined up if I get 2:1. I have a friend who got AAA and has no internships or anything lined up as he has no experience.
Reply 3
Original post by Really_now
It doesn't matter in the end trust me. I have BBB, did placements, volunteer work and have work experience and have a paid internship for three months lined up if I get 2:1. I have a friend who got AAA and has no internships or anything lined up as he has no experience.

Despite my post I completely agree with this. What I meant was simply interms of achievement. There is however plenty of things away from grades that influence future employment!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd call a mid C average, for both, if we're applying it to the wider population. It seems neither good nor bad and if I had to guess, it's probably close to the actual average. Having said that, this places the average nearer a low-end B/high C.

If we apply it to the Internet, somewhere between A* and A is average.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5

We all know that but it doesn't answer he question.
INB4 anything other than a 2.1 or A*
Reply 7

Are you and your friend in the same field?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think C's are around average
Original post by Burty123
Despite my post I completely agree with this. What I meant was simply interms of achievement. There is however plenty of things away from grades that influence future employment!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would even go as far as saying it's the least important compared to personality, leadership roles, experience and contacts. I went to a pretty bad uni as well.

You only have to scroll through my post history to see that when I didn't have experience I was being rejected from even simple cleaning jobs.

Employers in the end of the day want people with worth ethic who can do the job. Pretty A*s help but are close to meaning very little at the end.

Sorry derailed the thread a bit. Seeing as you can get ABCDE I would say BCC is average.
Original post by Arieisit
Are you and your friend in the same field?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No but that hardly matters. His lovely grades meant nothing in the end without leadership roles and work placements.
Reply 11
I always thought that C's were average, meaning that B = good, A = very good and A* = excellent.
Reply 12
Original post by russellsteapot
I'd call a mid C average, for both, if we're applying it to the wider population. It seems neither good nor bad and if I had to guess, it's probably close to the actual average. Having said that, this places the average nearer a low-end B/high C.

If we apply it to the Internet, somewhere between A* and A is average.

So the national whatever didn't use a country wide sample? How is it not representative of the entire student population?

Apply it to the Internet? Hahaha. Most on here don't have that many A*'s actually. Only a select few brag and you think it's everyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
No but that hardly matters. His lovely grades meant nothing in the end without leadership roles and work placements.

Yes, it matters a lot actually. Some fields of study are more employable than others.

Some friend you are, you seem conceited and still jealous of his/her better grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
I would even go as far as saying it's the least important compared to personality, leadership roles, experience and contacts. I went to a pretty bad uni as well.

You only have to scroll through my post history to see that when I didn't have experience I was being rejected from even simple cleaning jobs.

Employers in the end of the day want people with worth ethic who can do the job. Pretty A*s help but are close to meaning very little at the end.

Sorry derailed the thread a bit. Seeing as you can get ABCDE I would say BCC is average.

The C,D and E would basically nullify any A or B so then it would be a terrible result.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, it matters a lot actually. Some fields of study are more employable than others.

Some friend you are, you seem conceited and still jealous of his/her better grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did Linguistics and he did Biology. I wouldn't say one is more employable than the other they are both not particularly in demand.

That came out a bit harshly I suppose and I did shake my head but not at him but more at the fact that they are evidently still spinning that line to A Level students about getting three A*s and you are set for life rubbish.
Reply 16
I did Linguistics and he did Biology. I wouldn't say one is more employable than the other they are both not particularly in demand.

That came out a bit harshly I suppose and I did shake my head but not at him but more at the fact that they are evidently still spinning that line to A Level students about getting three A*s and you are set for life rubbish.

You are right, none is in any particular demand but maybe linguistics is a bit easier to secure something.

You think that if you did Biology and got the same grades you have now, you would have gotten an internship etc but not him?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I find it hilarious you made a thread about pseudointellectuals, and yet made this thread as a thinly veiled way to show off your grades :lol:

Anyway, Cs are average
Reply 18
I would even go as far as saying it's the least important compared to personality, leadership roles, experience and contacts.

Completely depends on industry IMO. You want to be an Investment Banker, you NEED a good degree like Maths/Economics from a target uni. Most target unis require AAA-A*AA so grades are vital to some roles. The others are important though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Average= B/C or 2:1/2:2
Outstanding=A/A* or 1st class honours

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending