The Student Room Group

Do lectures help you learn?

I was wondering what everyone is thinking to lectures. I'm in my first year and whilst I try and attend as many as possible, I think they are a waste of time that could be spent learning the material at home. I drift off after 15 minutes and don't seem to be learning a thing. All my lecturers do is read off a powerpoint which they put online the same day. Using this and my textbook I can teach myself 10X better than lectures ever could. Im basically paying £9000 to be read to from a powerpoint.

Anyone else find lectures dull, pointless and a bad way of teaching/learning? or do you find them useful? any tips to help keep me concentrated and motivated will be appreciated :frown:
It depends on the course and the lecturer. Most of the time they are useless.
Reply 2
No, they think we pay 27,000 so that we can teach ourselves to learn.

Lecturers often forget how much we are paying them. Can you imagine ringing apple and saying you dont understand a particular function of the iphone and they say, you should have paid more attention during the press conference or read the manual
Reply 3
The lecturers at my law school usually just give you a brief framework of what you're expected to do during the particular module and some notes. You get the bare bones from them and then you flesh it out yourself with your own research/reading and the tutorials are to ensure you've understood/completed the necessary work. I used skip my administrative law lectures completely and didn't fret over my other ones too much. If i felt like hugging my pillow in the morning and often didn't feel that attending the lecture would counterbalance the effort it took me to get out of bed, I just wouldn't go. Can't say it ever held me back, either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending