The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
*titanium*
I have 2 questions, firstly how come so many of you in Scotland have unconditonal offers when you have taken your exams this year. In england only people who are on gap year and already did their exams have unconditonal offers.

Secondly, whats this appeal thing? is it to get a remark of the paper like we can do? because i hear people saying i got A's all year and only got a B so im going to appeal, does htis mean because you got all A's during the year, they will give you an A despite the fact you actualy didnt score an A in the exam?

Would it kill you to read the announcement and the first post of that thread? :rolleyes:

Highers are the qualifications that Scottish universities give offers on (with the occasional exception for something like medicine where you might need an Advanced Higher). Highers are studied in S5 - the second last year of school, so people in their final year at school often have unconditional offers.

Appeals are when you show the exam board evidence of your being a better candidate than your final mark suggests - if you get a C in the final exam, yet have As in prelim exams and such, they may upgrade you. There's more to it than that, but that's the basis of it anyway.
Reply 61
Well done everyone!

I hope down in London, next week I get as many As as I saw you all attaining up in Scotland *I hear UCL beckoning*

Josh
Reply 62
Damn, you Scott's are a clever bunch! If i get grades half as good as you lot i will be happy!

WELL DONE TO ALL OF YOU!
Reply 63
*titanium*
I have 2 questions, firstly how come so many of you in Scotland have unconditonal offers when you have taken your exams this year. In england only people who are on gap year and already did their exams have unconditonal offers.

Secondly, whats this appeal thing? is it to get a remark of the paper like we can do? because i hear people saying i got A's all year and only got a B so im going to appeal, does htis mean because you got all A's during the year, they will give you an A despite the fact you actualy didnt score an A in the exam?

I got unconditional offers in England in A2 year of study.
Anyone else got their bands yet? all band 1s, yay :biggrin: wasn't expecting that at all after the horror that was the AH maths exam though!
Reply 65
My postie delivered mine at 11.45AM!!!

he looked like a druggie. :/
Reply 66
friendlyneutron
Anyone else got their bands yet? all band 1s, yay :biggrin: wasn't expecting that at all after the horror that was the AH maths exam though!

I haven't, but I want them.. did you phone up your school to find out? I really want to know what I got for my science projects, I'm such a geek :frown:
I got sent them by my school, I just found out my bands though, not how I did in investigations or anything! I don't know if they tell us but I really want to know; those things took bloody hours lol. Anyway, you're going to the most geek-friendly uni about so you'll be amongst friends. :wink:
Reply 68
Hi, fellow geek here. I went into school today and got band 1s for Bio and chem, and a band 2 for English. Still super pleased though since I was expecting a B at best for English.

The exact marks for investigations and suchlike won't come out till next month according to my Bio teacher.
Has *anyone's* track been updated?
Edinburgh have updated my friend's track. :/
Congratulations everyone :biggrin:

I went to school to get my bands today, but I they didn't let me in. Will SQA tell me my bands if I phone them up?
Reply 72
ahh my firts post :smile:

HPHYSICS-A
HCHEMISTRY-A
HHUMANBIOLOGLY-A
HMATH-A
HENGLISH-B:mad:

Wow it seems alot of kids here seem to have gotten B's in english even after getting A's in estimates.

I am definitely going to appeal, i used to get 45/50 for reading and 20-24 for my essays all year and i worked on english more than any subject.

wow i was reliefed i did a miracle in my physics exam:
I finished my multiple choice then continued the paper in PENCIL; all of it in pencil :eek: , luckily i had enough time to rewrite the final answers in pen, and some important bits of working.... phew.

well done all.
ad absurdum

I went to school to get my bands today, but I they didn't let me in. Will SQA tell me my bands if I phone them up?

Hmm, I'm not sure, worth a try? Equally you could try phoning your school. Congrats on your excellent results btw, should set you up nicely for uni applications. :smile:
friendlyneutron
Hmm, I'm not sure, worth a try? Equally you could try phoning your school. Congrats on your excellent results btw, should set you up nicely for uni applications. :smile:
I just phoned up my school now but I could only get to the reception thing and they didn't seem to believe me when I said the grades were split up into bands :frown: I'm not sure who to phone from SQA so I'll have a look around their site but I think I might need to wait until I go back to school.

Thanks, congratulations to you aswell :biggrin: Nice to see that you have got your place.
Reply 75
ad absurdum

If you can't get them via the SQA the school should give them to you. Go back to school when it starts again and ask. We were givcen ours to look at last year so they should.
Only one person doing higher english at my school got an A... :eek:
Actually i'm not too fussed, looks like i'm gonna get an easy exam this year :biggrin:
coss
If you can't get them via the SQA the school should give them to you. Go back to school when it starts again and ask. We were givcen ours to look at last year so they should.
Okay thanks :smile: I'm sure they will be more helpful when there are more teachers back in.
This may seem a little arrogant, but I'm peeved.

Is it possible as part of an appeal to get your work re-marked or is this done automatically?

It's just that I really don't understand how I ended up with a B for AH English when my teacher told me that my submitted work should set me up for a band 1 and I felt that the essay I wrote in the exam was stronger than any of the critical essays that I did in class which I was guaranteed were strong As.

I had always thought of English as my best subject and felt really pleased with my work this year, especially the dissertation and my imaginative writing piece, and this B has really depressed me.

Latest

Trending

Trending